JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I, by no means, depended on the indicator to keep me safe. I had a close call, and wanted to share it with this site. I'm not perfect and had the guts to be honest.

EVERY professional truck driver has had close calls. Even after logging literally millions of miles behind the wheel. Do they all need more training too? Sucks being a human being, huh?

I would have expected the negative comments and the questioning of my training and handling if I had actually discharged my weapon. It DID NOT go off.

Agree with you Kruel.

Let's see... I think there's a saying. "Let he who is perfect cast the first stone"

Well some of you folks have cast like a dozen... and I'm pretty sure you'd sink if you walked on water...

This guy knows proper gun handling. I'm going to assume he had the firearm pointed in a safe direction and it would have been loud and possibly killed a television set. There are a LOT of facets to safe gun handling, and this guy was talking about the mechanics of one gun he was used to where he could reset the hammer using a specific technique.

I'm sure he has learned the error of his ways, and again... we're humans. We strive to practice flawless safety techniques at all times. We also keep the gun aimed in a safe direction at ALL TIMES because we know that if there's one thing that keeps us safe(r) from AD or ND... it's that golden rule.

I'm sure he will be more up to par on the rest of the rules now.

Insisting on... well... I don't know what... I guess you want him burned at the stake? Take his firearms away? Maybe the electric chair?

Whatever it is that will shut you up, I highly doubt it's appropriate, and I highly doubt you will hammer whatever point you were trying to make into his head, because he likely stopped caring what you said as soon as he read the first "You're an idiot".

MY P89 would now have a cocked hammer and an option to decock it easily. But no such luck with a striker fire. At this point, I somehow blank that I had a live mag in and I start to squeeze the trigger to drop the striker. At the very last second I see the orange ramp and release my finger.

There's your mistake, do not use the trigger "to drop the striker", pulling the trigger should not me part of the unloading process. Use it only to fire or, as needed, to disassemble the weapon.The whole point behind a striker fired weapon is to simplify the design and eliminate items such as the hammer; luck has nothing to do with it.

The only "loaded chamber" indicator I require is the fact I own the weapon, which pretty much means it's loaded. IMO they are a useless bell and whistle item, just something else to break.

I'm sure he has learned the error of his ways...

Yes, he's learned never to admit to being less than perfect around this bunch of supermen. People make mistakes. If you handle guns enough you will eventually combine the two activities (mistakes and guns). You think it can't happen to you because you're so good at it? If you're one of those I don't want to be around you.

I want to be aware of every possible avenue for making and avoiding mistakes. I appreciate learning from other people's mistakes. That way, I don't have to suffer the consequences of learning first hand. Crucifying anyone who admits to being human hurts all of us.

Yes, he's learned never to admit to being less than perfect around this bunch of supermen. People make mistakes. If you handle guns enough you will eventually combine the two activities (mistakes and guns). You think it can't happen to you because you're so good at it? If you're one of those I don't want to be around you.

I want to be aware of every possible avenue for making and avoiding mistakes. I appreciate learning from other people's mistakes. That way, I don't have to suffer the consequences of learning first hand. Crucifying anyone who admits to being human hurts all of us.

ZZZ, thanks for expressing the adult viewpoint.
There are a couple of different ways of learning, and someone being kind and generous enough to let others learn from his errors is greatly appreciated.

You can learn from someone else's mistake (this includes learning in class, reading a book, or someone like Kruejl helping you by giving a real life example of how the mistake can be made), or you can make it yourself.

It doesn't matter who -already- learned this... Or how they learned it. There isn't ANY call to belittle or shame a brother.

Thanks Kruejl. Thanks ZigZgZeke.

you may not be new to firearms.but you for sure need more training.Depending on indicators to know if a gun is safe,loaded,unloaded,whatever is ASKING for negligent discharge. Drop the mag,lock slide back,and VISUALLY verify emptY EVERY TIME,even if someone u trust say's 'don't worry it's not loaded.'
Glad no one was shot,but this was WAY too close for comfort,and very easily avoided by proper gun handling.

This, exactly!

I was trying to think of something perfect to say in this situation, and this was it. Knock off the petty squabbling, please!

I will add my two cents to gun safety. The best safety is between your ears, right? I like to think I'm smart enough to realize how dumb I am--I just could never get comfortable around autos, be they SA, DA, or strikers. I'm strictly a wheelgun guy now for this and a few other reasons as well.

I'm glad you're ok, no one got hurt, and that you've learned a lesson from this experience. The SR9 and SR9C are very good pistols (my experience is with the SR9C). Great value for the money. Some people don't like Ruger's safety features. I'm personally fine with them except for the new key feature that locks up some of their models. Be sure not to dry fire your pistol, without the magazine in the pistol, since otherwise the striker will bang into the safety drop-down bar. If the striker repeatedly hits that bar a result could be light primer strikes and no bang.

There's your mistake, do not use the trigger "to drop the striker", pulling the trigger should not me part of the unloading process. Use it only to fire or, as needed, to disassemble the weapon.The whole point behind a striker fired weapon is to simplify the design and eliminate items such as the hammer; luck has nothing to do with it.

The only "loaded chamber" indicator I require is the fact I own the weapon, which pretty much means it's loaded. IMO they are a useless bell and whistle item, just something else to break.

^ This. Beat me to it. If you don't know if your weapon is loaded, you shouldn't have it. Glad you're okay.

Thank you for sharing your story kruejl. Its not easy to put yourself out there and show that you are human. If one person learned from your mistake I would say it is worth it.

Fortunately, there will always be people like BDA.45 around to let us know what it would be like to be smarter than everyone else and never make a mistake.

The OP had a great deal of courage to share this incident. He also admitted he made a mistake and didn't simply blame the gun for what happened. He has learned some important things that will stay with him, both about gun safety and human nature. Unfortunately, the lessons on human nature were not as beneficial as the ones on gun safety. Experience is learning from ones mistakes. Wisdom is learning from someone else mistakes. The OP had an experience and chose to allow us to gain wisdom from his experience.

As for the difference between an accidental discharge and a negligent discharge, for the most part there are no accidental discharges. Discharge happens, for the most part, because the trigger is pulled. If it isn't pulled under the right conditions, that is due to negligence. That said, there are legitimate cases of accidental discharge. I believe the Remington 700 is known for this. Basically, if the gun goes off without someone hitting the trigger, that is probably accidental. Everything else is more than likely negligent. I'm not passing judgement, just trying to define terms.

I just can't wrap my head around striker fired pistols. Why would you want a pistol that looks the same no matter what state the action is in. Give me a 3rd gen Smith or Beretta 92 any day, at least I can tell instantly whether or not it's live. To me the whole striker deal is a cost saving method for manufacturers, which they have not passed on to the buyer. Whenever you come in contact with any firearm, point in a safe direction, keep your finger off the trigger, drop mag, rack slide or open cylinder, and never trust any safety device.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top