JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
SAN MARCOS, Texas (KXAN) - Texas State University has become the first college in the state to endorse carrying concealed handguns on campus.

After students and faculty shared their views on the issue during a forum the week before, the Associated Student Government at the university voted Monday to endorse legalizing carrying licensed concealed handguns on Texas college campuses.

“This is something you never would have seen two years ago, when most people still believed that legalizing campus carry would somehow enable drunk kids to carry guns at keg parties," said W. Scott Lewis, Texas legislative director for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus . "The students at Texas State should be commended for educating themselves on a complex issue that has been completely misrepresented by gun control activists and certain elements of the mainstream media.”

---------- rest here--- Texas State endorses concealed carry | KXAN.com

The endorsement from the sixth-largest university - with more than 32,500 students - in the state came by a vote of 24-10, becoming the first postsecondary institution in Texas to pass a resolution endorsing what's known as “campus carry.”

That's awesome. Especially after what happened earlier this fall. If students with their CHL were allowed to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights, as well as those given by the state, then we would be safer on campus. Unfortunately, I don't see any Oregon or Washington schools adopting this mentality though.

Technically Oregon does.
161.015 General definitions. As used in chapter 743, Oregon Laws 1971, and ORS 166.635, unless the context requires otherwise:
(10) "Public place" means a place to which the general public has access and includes, but is not limited to, hallways, lobbies and other parts of apartment houses and hotels not constituting rooms or apartments designed for actual residence, and highways, streets, schools, places of amusement, parks, playgrounds and premises used in connection with public passenger transportation.
---------------------------------
166.360 Definitions for ORS 166.360 to 166.380. As used in ORS 166.360 to 166.380, unless the context requires otherwise:
(4) "Public building" means a hospital, a capitol building, a public or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315, a college or university, a city hall or the residence of any state official elected by the state at large, and the grounds adjacent to each such building. The term also includes that portion of any other building occupied by an agency of the state or a municipal corporation, as defined in ORS 297.405, other than a court facility.
166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places. (1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.
(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
166.370 Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in public building or court facility; exceptions; discharging firearm at school. (1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.
(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(d) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

Schools may think they have authority over this and may expel a student caught carrying but you could fight it in court.

Technically Oregon does.

Schools may think they have authority over this and may expel a student caught carrying but you could fight it in court.

Yes, I'm certainly aware of that. But being that I am a student, and possess a CHL, if I were to be made at school, I don't have the means to hire a lawyer. And, there was a student at the same school who was carrying and was expelled and if I remember correctly, tried to fight it in court but was unsuccessful. :confused:

Yes, I'm certainly aware of that. But being that I am a student, and possess a CHL, if I were to be made at school, I don't have the means to hire a lawyer. And, there was a student at the same school who was carrying and was expelled and if I remember correctly, tried to fight it in court but was unsuccessful. :confused:

If you don't mind me asking, what school? I haven't seen anything about chemeketa at least banning concealed carry. I could of course be wrong though.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top