JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a well that was put in about 1964 roughly 150 foot deep cased about 65 feet. Original property owner said the water tested drinkable when it was installed. Though having a light hint of sulfur, he claimed it made a great scotch & water. That testing was 50 plus years ago with population growth from 3400 then, 90+thousand now. It does not feed the house but on hot days cool water from a hose can be inviting plus I might need it in an emergency situation.
It would seem prudent to have it tested albeit I'm not one for watering down my whisky. I thought about giving it to my troublemaking brother in law and wait to see what happens but figure some things could take years to manifest and too long to wait.
Any recommendations for a private (as in non governmental) testing service either Beaverton area or mail service would be greatly appreciated. I called two different well drilling companies which send out for testing and so far I'm looking @ about $250 which seems steep, but I have nothing to compare. The internet thing confusing to me.
Thank you kindly ahead of time for your personal experience and finger pointing advice.
Thor

<broken link removed>
This checks the following :
1 - Bacteria Test
1 - Lead Test
1 - Pesticide Test
2 - Free Chlorine Tests
2 - Nitrate Tests
2 - Nitrite Tests
2 - Hardness Tests
2 - Total Chlorine Test
2 - pH Tests
2 - Total Alkalinity Tests
2 - Iron Tests
2 - Copper Tests
2 - Sulfate Tests
2 - Chloride Tests
2 - Hydogen Sulfide Tests
2 - Total Hardness

I'm not sure about the do it yourself test kits. I would be inclined to apply the laws of "if you don't know what your doing hire somebody who does" and "you get what you pay for" which is almost but not quite "you don't get what you Dont pay for. I'm mostly saying this for my own benefit because I'm thinking about having my well tested. Its an 18' hand dug. About 3 ft wide. We only use it to water the grass and fruit trees but I would like to know if its safe for drinking.

I'm not sure about the do it yourself test kits. I would be inclined to apply the laws of "if you don't know what your doing hire somebody who does" and "you get what you pay for" which is almost but not quite "you don't get what you Dont pay for. I'm mostly saying this for my own benefit because I'm thinking about having my well tested. Its an 18' hand dug. About 3 ft wide. We only use it to water the grass and fruit trees but I would like to know if its safe for drinking.
I'm leaning that way also as if I die from drinking it when they say it is OK My wife has someone to sue. I haven't found much independent review of the h20kits but the price is attractive. Home Depo has a series of individual kits but some reviews say things like to do the bacteria test you smell it??? That IS rather like ordering the coat hook and you get a 16d nail.

<broken link removed>
This checks the following :
1 - Bacteria Test
1 - Lead Test
1 - Pesticide Test
2 - Free Chlorine Tests
2 - Nitrate Tests
2 - Nitrite Tests
2 - Hardness Tests
2 - Total Chlorine Test
2 - pH Tests
2 - Total Alkalinity Tests
2 - Iron Tests
2 - Copper Tests
2 - Sulfate Tests
2 - Chloride Tests
2 - Hydogen Sulfide Tests
2 - Total Hardness
Have you or anyone else tried this?

I am not an Engineer. I have, However, done some Environmental Engineering classes in college. I can tell you that tests for Fecal Coliform/ aka poop, are a multi-day process, and best left to the real lab guys. That wouldn't be anything to get wrong!

However, I applaud your caution. Especially in larger communities, the city wants to "cap" private wells, and force you to rely on the public water system... Which they happen to make money on...

Good luck with your test! Hope it comes out as good, and I would like to extend my jealousy now! Wish we had a private well on our place!

I hate to say this but my water comes out of the base of a 12,000 ft mountain as artesian water, it then gets collected, settled and piped into a filter that adds some chlorine, then gravity fed to my home. It's better than using well water because 'Poop'
but I do have to pay for it

I hate to say this but my water comes out of the base of a 12,000 ft mountain as artesian water, it then gets collected, settled and piped into a filter that adds some chlorine, then gravity fed to my home. It's better than using well water because 'Poop'
but I do have to pay for it
I am near the top of my mountain (900 ft. of a 1200 ft mtn) and I pretty much only need to worry about the few people above me.

The water department was taking samples weekly from my house which was at the end of the local service line. When I asked them, they were just "gathering" data. 2 years later, they decide to put in a new line in the whole area. :eek:

I do not drink tap water. Chlorine and all the other chemicals they put in it are insane. I was getting water delivered, but they started charging me $ 6 per gallon, so I am ordering one of the Berkey water purifiers. I am also installing inline water filters in my service line. ( son is a plumber:))

I would also send it out to a lab for testing, they get it right and have no dog in the fight. We used to send all our work trucks out to have the trailer hitches installed and wired to the local RV place. That way if there ever was a problem and any resulting liability it was on them and not us for installing it in our own shop.

These guys do all the tests:
http://www.addylab.com/
Thanks for the resource.
Considering all the advice here, mixing in liability, comparing cost, Addy labs have fair prices and did not use scare tactic to upcharge on miscellaneous testing with dubious benefits.
Recommending mainly:
Bacteria; $40
But:
If area is noted for, Arsenic; $34
If live near farms; Nitrates; $32
They test for a lot more but didn't seem to actually promote more than the bacteria test since the well has had a history of drinkability. I appreciated that. I'm going for the bacteria and nitrates so will be picking up the sample bottles today.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top