JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I load up 4 at a time for the initial test. Why 4? Because we all get that occasional "flyer" and if I shoot three and two are touching and one is outside that group I don't know if it was me or the load, so I'll drop a 4th shot and see where it lands. If it groups right in there with the other two, I'll take note as that might be a keeper. If the 1st three group tight to begin with, then there's no need to send the 4th one. Now if that 4th shot doesn't group either, then I know that's probably not a valid load.

For smaller calibers like .223 I'll vary the charge by 0.3gr and load from the bottom of the listed range to the top, and sometimes one load over max. For larger calibers such as .308 I'll go 0.5gr per step.

Doing this will usually show 2-3 accuracy nodes.

I'll then go back and load up 10 more of each promising load and verify said loads with 2 groups of 5.

At this point you should have an answer as to which load is the best. You can stop here, or move forward to try to squeeze a little more accuracy out of it, or "fine tune" it. It is now when you can play with bullet seating depth to try to squeeze the last bit of accuracy out. I do so by seating the bullet in and out by .005" each step.

If you're shooting a magazine fed rifle (AR15), you will be limited as to how far out you can seat the bullet. You will at some point, get interference from the bullet dragging on the magazine.

For a bolt gun, you can many times go clear out until you are touching the rifling, or even jamming the bullet into the lands. Often times jamming will give you the best groups. Know however that pressures will increase as you get very close to, or even jam into the lands.

Know what the pressure signs are, and how to spot them. You'll need to know when that next step is a bad idea.

Hope this helps.

So I journal: accuracy, felt recoil (I even go as far as to shoot 2 handed, 2 handed and off-handed), and even.... this is embarrassing... where the cases land and how consistent it is.

I hope that -

a. You are actually using attached telemetry/strain gauges to determine the level of recoil in two modes - 'felt' and 'perceived', and

b. taking into account the aerodynamic properties of the empty cartridge case vis-á-vis its likely landing spot, to include -

c. Altitude, air temperature and geographical location in relation to the direction of fire. Projectile [in this case, the empty] yaw, precession and peturbation are all vital components of determining the vectors and final loci. Remember the rotating earth, and the fact that facing north or south will have a bearing [chuckle] on the ballistic free-air trajectory of any body in the instant after shot ejection onwards. Similarly, and in- or de- clination from north or south will similarly affect the trajectory. It helps here if you know a cannon-cocker to help you out - he might still have his yaw tables to hand.

Hope I've given you something more to think about than merely having fun when working up a load.

tac

TAC,
What's more fun than stacking bullets in the same hole a? :D

As far as reloading...My best advise would be. "It is not a social activity."
Unless you are teaching a class. Measuring fast burning pistol powder is
not a time to be visiting, or watching TV.
100% I have a few buddies who seem to complete regarding who can load the most per hour. My handloads consistently go bang... never BOOM, and I'm OK with 200/hour on my progressive press, checking OAL and charge weight every 10 rounds
I hope that -

a. You are actually using attached telemetry/strain gauges to determine the level of recoil in two modes - 'felt' and 'perceived', and

b. taking into account the aerodynamic properties of the empty cartridge case vis-á-vis its likely landing spot, to include -

c. Altitude, air temperature and geographical location in relation to the direction of fire. Projectile [in this case, the empty] yaw, precession and peturbation are all vital components of determining the vectors and final loci. Remember the rotating earth, and the fact that facing north or south will have a bearing [chuckle] on the ballistic free-air trajectory of any body in the instant after shot ejection onwards. Similarly, and in- or de- clination from north or south will similarly affect the trajectory. It helps here if you know a cannon-cocker to help you out - he might still have his yaw tables to hand.

Hope I've given you something more to think about than merely having fun when working up a load.

tac
If I do this with rifle loads, I will likely get more anal.... thanks for giving me a reason to be more obsessive :confused:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top