JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey OP this actually kinda made me really happy to read. Not only are you new to gun building but you also milled your own lower. Using your term "milled" I assume you meant you built it off of an 80%. That's awesome. Congrats on the new toy it's always good hearing that a new gun guy ACTUALLY built out his rifle from scratch and didn't just order a lower and a bunch of parts and add pins to it.
Welcome to the forum :cool:

If you're bruised from a gas operated .308, I'm convinced it needs work. I've been able to spend an entire session with belted magnums, 12ga and my Barrett without bruising. You shouldn't get pounded by a battle rifle.....

Lots of good info, thanks for the comparisons of how your rifles shoot.

I did try to tune the gas block to see if that did anything for the recoil, but with it being so light and not having a proper muzzle break + super hard plastic stock... it was a bit rough lol. My shoulder is much better now, still a bruise, but not sore. Maybe I just need to shoot it more to build up a tolerance... my wallet will take the beating for that.

Plan is to try a Precision Armament M4-72 brake, and then maybe a Limbsaver.

Hey OP this actually kinda made me really happy to read. Not only are you new to gun building but you also milled your own lower. Using your term "milled" I assume you meant you built it off of an 80%. That's awesome. Congrats on the new toy it's always good hearing that a new gun guy ACTUALLY built out his rifle from scratch and didn't just order a lower and a bunch of parts and add pins to it.
Welcome to the forum :cool:
Yep, 80% lower. I enjoy working with my hands and getting the satisfaction of fixing or creating something. I've built/tuned a lot of engines and cars, but this was a whole new arena.

I think I do this with a lot of things because I want to know the inner workings of how it operates, and if there's a malfunction I will know how to fix it. Building up my self reliance skills.

I've got two AR's in the safe with Rainier Ultramatch barrels; a 14.5" in .223 Wylde, and an 18" in .308. Two of the most accurate rifles I own....hope your experience is as good as mine is. The 14.5" is spooky accurate....it's a good one.
I am very pleased with the quality of the Rainier stuff, and love that they're in the NW. Much of my stuff is from NW companies, intentionally.

As far as accuracy, I need a looooot more practice to really know... I've only got less than 200 rounds of rifle shooting experience.

They do make recoil reduction stocks, but I think with a correctly installed muzzle brake on there, and a proper AR308 recoil spring in there, he'll be fine.

Neither one of my .308's really kick any harder than a 5.56. They certainly rattle your cage with the concussive report from the brake.

my 18" barrel .308 actually caused one of the light globes on the ceiling of the shooting area at the range to rattle loose and fall. Made people think there was a ricochet...Nope. that .308 is just a thumper that sends tremors through the walls and ceiling, and about 2 to 3 foot flames out the sides of the brake. Shorter the barrel, the louder it is, and larger the flashes out of the muzzle brake/muzzle. In that sense the 24" is far more tame since it gets a more complete powder burn before the projectile exits the muzzle.
What is a .308 recoil spring, the buffer spring? The one I ordered said it is for a .308, Luth-AR aluminum rifle length buffer kit (tube, spring, and buffer).

Your description of the flames/thump is getting me excited... lol

-Robert

What is a .308 recoil spring, the buffer spring? The one I ordered said it is for a .308, Luth-AR aluminum rifle length buffer kit (tube, spring, and buffer).

Your description of the flames/thump is getting me excited... lol

-Robert
Buffer spring yes. and in your previous description you said it had light weight springs in it? Figured you meant the buffer spring which is responsible for absorbing some of the felt recoil of the rifle. The bolt carrier group and buffer is also responsible for absorbing some of that felt recoil.

Honestly though if this is a hunting rifle, you don't need to change much if anything... You're not going to be out dumping mags of ammo while hunting unless you don't want to actually get an animal cause you'd scare em all off as soon as you take your first shot. So bruising your shoulder after 100rds is not going to be an issue after 1-5 shots on a hunting trip.

If it's a range rifle...make it heavy, add a brake (your fellow shooters at the range are gonna LOVE that /sarcasm :D ) and put a better stock on it.

When it comes to AR pattern buffer springs, I've taken to buying the nice flatwound springs from Tubb. Not cheap, but IMHO it makes one more thing you don't have to worry about.

Buffer spring yes. and in your previous description you said it had light weight springs in it? Figured you meant the buffer spring which is responsible for absorbing some of the felt recoil of the rifle. The bolt carrier group and buffer is also responsible for absorbing some of that felt recoil.

Honestly though if this is a hunting rifle, you don't need to change much if anything... You're not going to be out dumping mags of ammo while hunting unless you don't want to actually get an animal cause you'd scare em all off as soon as you take your first shot. So bruising your shoulder after 100rds is not going to be an issue after 1-5 shots on a hunting trip.

If it's a range rifle...make it heavy, add a brake (your fellow shooters at the range are gonna LOVE that /sarcasm :D ) and put a better stock on it.
Ah, the lightweight springs are for the trigger.

I was hoping to have one rifle to do it all, but I clearly understand the difference now lol. I think I will need to put a lot more rounds through it as far as practice, getting a feel for it, and learning how to shoot longer distances.

-Robert

That stock may work well with 5.56 but doesn't look comfortable to me for that application.
For a rifle with an A2 action the Luth-AR MBA-1 works out well with .308 and is lighter than the Lancer.
Nice rubber pad with a bit more area to spread out the load helps out a bit.
yBPw4g8l.jpg

That stock may work well with 5.56 but doesn't look comfortable to me for that application.
For a rifle with an A2 action the Luth-AR MBA-1 works out well with .308 and is lighter than the Lancer.
Nice rubber pad with a bit more area to spread out the load helps out a bit.
View attachment 1022626
Last I checked...that recoil pad is not rubber...it's fiberglass/nylon composite. My 18" .308 has one of those on it. Definitely not a soft pad :D

My 24" has one of these on it...Magpul PRS Gen 3. That one has a soft recoil pad. Definitely not a light stock though. but it is certainly well made, precise, and durable. Gives the same adjustable comb and length of pull.

1630433719568.png

Last I checked...that recoil pad is not rubber...it's fiberglass/nylon composite. My 18" .308 has one of those on it. Definitely not a soft pad :D

My 24" has one of these on it...Magpul PRS Gen 3. That one has a soft recoil pad. Definitely not a light stock though. but it is certainly well made, precise, and durable. Gives the same adjustable comb and length of pull.

View attachment 1022628
I was saying the Luth stock has a rubber pad and and not solid like the Lancer.
The MBA-1 stock is 18oz

I only have 2 AR's both milled out 80% lowers. One for me and one was a father son project for his 13th birthday. Super fun to do. Mine cheap Del ton parts 16" about $800 with case and optic. The boys SBR 14.5". Strike industries, ballistic advantage, rise armament, holographic sight. That kinda stuff. I put money into it about $1700. His has a M4-72 pin and welded and it's loud with flames. He wanted it to be obnoxious and it is. It clears out the range. No kick, super fast and fun to shoot. I have almost everything to do a AR-10/ DPMS LR-308. But it's on hold for now. The boy did a P80 G19 for his 14th birthday.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top