JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well I have full on diabetes …. so ….
If you have diagnosed diabetes my understanding is that 7.0 (edit: or lower) is a number to strive for.

Edit part 2: or between 7 and 8 if you believe these Harvard folks:

Last Edited:
Yes I took a test at the VA Friday, probably a week till I get the results.

Edit just thought to check their secure site, they said this is their numbers
<5.7% HbA1c - Non-Diabetic 5.7 - 6.4% HbA1c - Pre-Diabetic >6.4% HbA1c - Diabetic If Diabetic, recommended HgA1C should be <7%

Mine is now 5.8 … Woo Hoo! getting better.

Last Edited:
KETO has worked for me. I actually eat better and enjoy eating more than I ever have before. Learned how to do basic cooking in the last couple years and love doing that also. Work schedule was stressing and killing me so I decided 2019 was going to be different. Take more time off to play and take care of my health.
Gov/Corps has 'fed us' a line of BS with the food pyramid and how often we should eat. Most should only eat once a day. Once you adapt to it, it frees up so much time!! Your body gets 22 hours to heal itself and you lose fat like crazy because Insulin is not triggered.
Ten years ago I was 259 lbs, now 192. Maintained muscle mass, and about 14% body fat. Or about what I weighed in 1989. I equate weight loss to time, as in when I was 230 lbs that was about 2004.
My theme song to motivate me is Back in Time by Huey Lewis - haha.
For KETO and intermittent fasting - see the Dr Berg and/or Dr Fung channels on YouTube.
For people who need FAST results and a more blunt approach, seek out Cole Robinson on the Snake Diet channel on YT or Facebook.

As Cole says, Type 2 diabetes is a joke. Anyone that has some discipline can reverse that with some basic fasting. Point of fact, fasting can heal almost anything.

NSFW warning, he loves to shout and curse :) Skip to 07:20

Last Edited:
Yes I took a test at the VA Friday, probably a week till I get the results.

Edit just thought to check their secure site, they said this is their numbers
<5.7% HbA1c - Non-Diabetic 5.7 - 6.4% HbA1c - Pre-Diabetic >6.4% HbA1c - Diabetic If Diabetic, recommended HgA1C should be <7%

Mine is now 5.8 … Woo Hoo! getting better.
Congrats on 5.8. Interesting they have different reference numbers.

I had been diagnosed as pre-diabetic in Dec 2017 with an A1C of 5.9%. I was close to 250lbs at that appt (with clothes on). Today I had new labs done and my A1C is 5.6% just out of the pre-diabetic range and I expect it to drop further. I started eating a low carb high fat diet around May and here are the results so far of that diet.

Test results from Dec 2017:

My A1C was 5.9%
Cholesterol179 mg/dL<=239 mg/dL
Triglyceride136 mg/dL<=499 mg/dL
HDL Chol50 mg/dL>=40 mg/dL
LDL Calc102 mg/dL<=159 mg/dL

Test results from today:
My A1C is now normal at 5.6% and I expect it will go lower by the end of the year. It takes about 6 to 7 months for the A1C numbers to fully adjust to a change in diet.

Cholesterol161 mg/dL<=239 mg/dL
Triglyceride53 mg/dL<=499 mg/dL
HDL Chol47 mg/dL>=40 mg/dL
LDL Calc103 mg/dL<=159 mg/dL

I have been eating tons of cheese, bacon, eggs, meat, some potatoes and a small amount of rice. I sneak some veggies in here and there but they are not my cup of tea. I have been eating Safeway Signature Select No Sugar Added ice cream for dessert. Don't let the doctors tell you eggs are going to raise your cholesterol or saturated fat is going to raise your triglycerides, it's bunk. Get rid of as many carbs as you can in your diet and your body will thank you for it.

I am sitting here in a hospital bed reading this and I encourage you to stay with it. They just amputated all the toes on my left foot. I too was serious when I first found out I was diabetic but the determination didn't stay with me.
Now I'm wandering if I'll be able to go on the moose hunt that I schedule in later September.
Be very strict with yourself have someone who yuu can be accountable to. Stay the course.
I will pray for you. Tom

I am sitting here in a hospital bed reading this and I encourage you to stay with it. They just amputated all the toes on my left foot. I too was serious when I first found out I was diabetic but the determination didn't stay with me.
Now I'm wandering if I'll be able to go on the moose hunt that I schedule in later September.
Be very strict with yourself have someone who yuu can be accountable to. Stay the course.
I will pray for you. Tom
I am very sorry to hear of your situation and I wish you a speedy recovery. I'll return the prayers.

Diabetes is definitely not something to take lightly. My mom's neighbor lost her entire foot, was blind and on dialysis from complications of diabetes. She didn't last too many more months after they took her foot. She wasn't even that heavy weight wise.

Carbs are like a slow killing drug and are easy to get addicted too. I plan on sticking with low carb diet for life.

A few weeks ago I started tracking my daily food intake...I made an account at www.fatsecret.com and also downloaded their app onto my phone. With the app I can immediately add lunch, snacks, etc, without having to later recall what I ate. What's cool is you can actually type in brand names of many items you eat, and get specific information on fat content, protein and calories.

Many years ago I weighed 280# & my A1C was almost 12 so I started riding a bike & got hooked. In 90 days eating right & riding I lost 91# & my A1C was 5.6. If you get your heart rate up to over 135 for 35 minutes it raises your metabalisum 50% so I rode a bike to work, at lunch & then home. In the 3 months I couls ride a century (100 miles) any day I wanted & never felt better. My cloresteral went from 250 to just over 100, it's like pipes & water if it runs slow it builds up sludge & if running fast it flushes them out. I road a mtn bike 4500 miles that year & averaged 17.3 mph for the year.

Recently had a blood draw (8/5) and I was concerned too some of my levels were out of spec. I managed a 4.9 A1C but my morning fasting glucose was 148.

Good to see you've found something that's working for you. That's a positive sign your body is working to correct.

:D

I've dropped another couple lbs, 261 as of yesterday which is my lowest in years.

Still lifting heavy and gaining muscle and inches where I want them and am happy with a gradual decline in my overall weight - I have too many tattoos I don't want stretched funky to go on all out diet mode. Which doesn't work for me anyway because then I obsess about food which just makes me hungry all the time.

Keto is working for me. I eat a few times a day and stop when I am full. I go a little heavy on the protein given my work and workouts but not crazy.

A1c was 6.1 (down from 8.6 at my worst) and my fasting blood glucose is 105-115 most days. I'm looking forward to those numbers dropping more then I am about my weight.

Great job to all of you doing something about your issues. Diabetes is one of those things where they don't seem to instill how bad it is until you cross their invisible lines on the blood tests and then they tell you your hosed for life...

One thing about blood test, makesure they wipe your arm twice or 3 times as much as usual as I got MRSA they couldn't get rid of for a long time from getting a blood test & chatting with the girl. After she poked me I said you didn't wipe that, she said yes I did & I ended up almost dying from a HD strain od MRSA so make the do it right or wipe it yourself.

Hey arakboss,
Pandaz3 is right about the wheat.

Modern wheat has 42 chromosomes and is filled with amylopectin-A. This is compared to the most ancient grain, Einkorn which has 14 chromosomes and very little amylopectin-a and much more amylose. Amylose is slower digesting and does not spike blood sugar and insulin levels. The key-word here is glycemic index.You have to ask, why does modern wheat have all of those extra chromosomes and what can your body do with them. The short answer is this: it raises insulin, it stores itself as fat, bogs down your liver, overloads your pancreas, fogs the mind and saps your energy.

Amylopectin-A can increase your glucose and insulin levels faster and higher than most any other carbohydrate.

In my clinic in Bend, we have helped many people lose weight and improve their diabetic health. Some have been able to give up their insulin all together. It has been found that most type II diabetes can be cured by diet.

Some suggested reading for you are the books, Grain Brain by Dr. Perlmutter and another called Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to become a vegetarian... The Okinawans and the Seventh Day Adventists are two of the most studied groups of people, known for their longevity; they are both vegetarian cultures which live on average, ten years longer than others.

If you can't do vegan or vegetarian then keto-diet with no wheat is the way to go.

'Hope this helps.
All the best in health

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews