JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will have to read up on Keto, don't really know what it entails. I have tried ag least a dozen diets and they all work as long as you can stick with them. Some are harder to live with than others.
As a kid I was never happy with half the fruit and none of the veggies, I have not changed. I have tried the Mayo Clinic Diet and that helped with veggies as I knew it was just for X more days. If I recall that was a three week diet and then you re-started the sequence. They all work if you can stay with them. Some failed as I could not pick and choose as much in the Army and some of that carried over to the after life. Much roadhouse fare. I also have been stymied by other picky eating habits. My only seafood would be Shrimp or Tuna. No Chicken period. (Eggs are okay) So I have set up my own obstacles, one of the reasons the hi-protein style diet works for me. My oldest son is Vegan of something and he is healthy.

My fasting Blood Sugar was in the 400's, close to hospital time. I won't say what I weighed, but I had a pound for every day of the year. Now I am around 280. Weight loss helps Diabetes, back problems, sleep apnea, acid reflux, Blood sugar, Blood pressure, Heart Disease (Lower cholesterol) Heart Failure (One of my worst maladies) and a host of other little heath issues that I have. I have had Cancer, Heart bypass, and some other big issues, but I still call my health as Fair +, as I keep after the big bugaboo, excess weight.

IMHO diet will work only so long till your body adjust to it so you need to find a sport or activity that gets your heart pumping & blood flowing as approved by your doctor to keep in great shape.

IMHO diet will work only so long till your body adjust to it so you need to find a sport or activity that gets your heart pumping & blood flowing as approved by your doctor to keep in great shape.

I personally know someone who dropped over 100lbs on a 'nutrition program' which actually increased the amount of calories they ate daily. They never stepped foot in a gym. It's all about caloric deficit.

If you 'diet' wrong it will put your body into flight mode and it will store every calorie it can.

Most honest professionals will tell you that loosing weight is, at minimum, 85% nutrition.

(Exercise is much better for you but not required for weight loss - you can spend an hour in the gym burning 400 calories or just not eat 400 calories)

Guys, I just wanted to say you have inspired me. I'm working on seriously reducing my sugar and carb intake. My last labs (3 weeks ago) were Glucose 119 mg/dl and A1c 6%. I'm drifting into the danger zone. Tough part is that my favorite foods are pasta and sushi. But I want to get ahead of it before it gets worse. Thanks for sharing your stories!

For me it gave me motivation & I loved riding the bike & raising your metabalism 50% was an added bonus. I ended up breaking my back but when I did I could leg press 650# & bench 400#.

I will have to read up on Keto, don't really know what it entails. I have tried ag least a dozen diets and they all work as long as you can stick with them. Some are harder to live with than others.
As a kid I was never happy with half the fruit and none of the veggies, I have not changed. I have tried the Mayo Clinic Diet and that helped with veggies as I knew it was just for X more days. If I recall that was a three week diet and then you re-started the sequence. They all work if you can stay with them. Some failed as I could not pick and choose as much in the Army and some of that carried over to the after life. Much roadhouse fare. I also have been stymied by other picky eating habits. My only seafood would be Shrimp or Tuna. No Chicken period. (Eggs are okay) So I have set up my own obstacles, one of the reasons the hi-protein style diet works for me. My oldest son is Vegan of something and he is healthy.

My fasting Blood Sugar was in the 400's, close to hospital time. I won't say what I weighed, but I had a pound for every day of the year. Now I am around 280. Weight loss helps Diabetes, back problems, sleep apnea, acid reflux, Blood sugar, Blood pressure, Heart Disease (Lower cholesterol) Heart Failure (One of my worst maladies) and a host of other little heath issues that I have. I have had Cancer, Heart bypass, and some other big issues, but I still call my health as Fair +, as I keep after the big bugaboo, excess weight.

Keto is the only 'lifestyle' I've been able to stick with consistently for almost 5 months now and at this point I don't see myself ever changing.

Reasons:

My diabetes is all but gone.

My muscle mass is increasing almost as fast as I can loose fat (in large because of a 5 day workout per week with weights).

There is literally a substitute for everything to eat if you give it a chance and change your taste buds a bit (that takes 2 weeks and an open mind).

I don't feel restricted and still hungry after I eat - I can down a Costco size of potato chips but try eating a regular size container of peanut butter... fat fills and satisfies you.

Check out dr Ken Berry on YouTube and Dr Berg.

For my one morning meal - this morning - started by drinking some Apple Cider Vinegar/Lemon juice. It reduces insulin response. I had four scrambled eggs, about a 5oz hamburger patty (75% lean), some nuts, med avocado, some nut butter, brocolli, wheat grass drink (Dr Berg).

Since not fasting, added salt + No salt (potassium) to the above. If skipping food for 1-4 days, I supplement with the same in water. OMAD - or one meal a day - seems to do the trick for my weight maintenance, but fasting HEALS and regenerates your body and should be done monthly.

It is 12 hours later now and I am barely hungry even though I've done 45min on a treadmill (fasted state in AM, prior to meal) and an hour of heavy weights in the afternoon after food digestion. Body is in Ketosis so most energy is coming from fats I eat or my own body fat as opposed to being a sugar/carb burner.

We have all been taught that fats are bad, eat 3-6 meals a day, drink 8+ glasses of water (over-flushes out minerals), cholesterol is the culprit and not sugar/inflammation.

In other words, we'd been sold and bunch of crap because there is great profits in our illnesses. Time to wise up. Look through all the food items in your cupboard and the ingredient that is almost always there is SUGAR (or sugar by other trade names). Cereals, even ones you'd expect to be low sugar are loaded with them. I used to love microwaveable rice packs - sold as healthy of course - 48g of sugar. Crazy.

The average American ingests 32 teaspoons of sugar A DAY. Just imagine that.

Ditch ALL SUGARS. Sugar kills the human body, not fats. Your brain is basically FAT. Sugar scars up your arterial walls and the body tries to patch them up with cholesterol. So the BS that people should be on low fat diets, eat six meals a day, avoid eggs, etc - is absolute crap.

Doctors are great if you break your leg, but for nutritional advice they are imbeciles.

Better to turn to quasi-doctors on YouTube that can tell you that truth w/o losing their medical license for not towing the line.

Last Edited:
Getting a simple book that tells you the Carbs, Fats, Proteins, Sodium helps yo fill out that log I described earlier. Amazing how it makes you see what you were eating.
Great post Burt, I will add that is you get nutrition advice from diabetes education like I did, they are missing the boat too.

That's great news @arakboss! Really happy to hear of peoples successes in cutting carbs. I do keto and intermittent fasting the majority of the year and I can't describe how much better I feel. The weight loss is an added bonus :)

White processed flour is dangerous. I can eat a King Size Snickers and raise my blood sugar to 180 points for an hour or so, eat a plain, untoasted, large hamburger bun and it's 300+ for at least 3 hours or more.

My wife inserts herself into my health and diet so I can't have true discipline in my diet, she decides based on hocus pocus or a crik in her elbow, who knows. so I lose quite slow.

A dedicated Hi-Protien, very very low carb diet will shed serious weight. Hard to do seriously though, especially on the road.

Understanding the Glycemic Index is one of the keys. White flour and sugar are 100 and are the fastest carbs at getting into your blood stream. By contrast an apple or a peanut M&M are 25, taking four ties as long to accomplish the same thing. Seems odd, but to a diabetic a peanut M&M or snickers is a better choice than Wonder Bread, though all should be avoided.

The slower the carbs get into your body the less they mess with your blood sugars. I eat the fewest amount of carbs possible and have found that my body works the best on 2/3 fat calories, scant carbs and the rest from protein. Other people may get different results, so I always tell people to pay attention to how they feel after a meal. Sleepy/sluggish is bad and almost certainly caused by a blood sugar spike. You should get more energy after eating not less.

KETO has worked for me. I actually eat better and enjoy eating more than I ever have before. Learned how to do basic cooking in the last couple years and love doing that also. Work schedule was stressing and killing me so I decided 2019 was going to be different. Take more time off to play and take care of my health.
Gov/Corps has 'fed us' a line of BS with the food pyramid and how often we should eat. Most should only eat once a day. Once you adapt to it, it frees up so much time!! Your body gets 22 hours to heal itself and you lose fat like crazy because Insulin is not triggered.
Ten years ago I was 259 lbs, now 192. Maintained muscle mass, and about 14% body fat. Or about what I weighed in 1989. I equate weight loss to time, as in when I was 230 lbs that was about 2004.
My theme song to motivate me is Back in Time by Huey Lewis - haha.
For KETO and intermittent fasting - see the Dr Berg and/or Dr Fung channels on YouTube.
For people who need FAST results and a more blunt approach, seek out Cole Robinson on the Snake Diet channel on YT or Facebook.

As Cole says, Type 2 diabetes is a joke. Anyone that has some discipline can reverse that with some basic fasting. Point of fact, fasting can heal almost anything.

NSFW warning, he loves to shout and curse :) Skip to 07:20

You have me seriously intrigued. I have been doing Keto with occasional breaks for about a year and a half. When I'm in what I call "the zone" I start to pare my meals down to one or two a day naturally since it's more like putting gas in the tank when you don't have blood sugar spikes.

I'm going to watch those videos you have been posting and will check out other Cole Robinson videos as well.

I had my doc appt Monday and compared to Dec 2017 visit my bp was down from 139/70 to 127/72. My pulse rate was down from 58 to 51.

The bad news is my Testosterone was down 36% from an already low end of normal number I had in Dec. 2017. I have been feeling run down and not wanting to do squat lately and that may be why. I have an October appt with urologist to see if they can figure out why I had a 36% drop in 19 months. Has anybody else experienced this sudden level of drop in Testosterone? If so was the cause discovered. I do not want to go on HRT.

I had my doc appt Monday and compared to Dec 2017 visit my bp was down from 139/70 to 127/72. My pulse rate was down from 58 to 51.

The bad news is my Testosterone was down 36% from an already low end of normal number I had in Dec. 2017. I have been feeling run down and not wanting to do squat lately and that may be why. I have an October appt with urologist to see if they can figure out why I had a 36% drop in 19 months. Has anybody else experienced this sudden level of drop in Testosterone? If so was the cause discovered. I do not want to go on HRT.

I'd see what your next test shows. it could be temporary as body, especially belly fat has a role in testosterone. If you have a messaging system (mine has a secure internal email system) you can also ask your doctor. My urologist told me that as I lost weight it would increase overall, so over time that's what I would expect.

You might also try cutting back on chick flicks and see if that helps. Next time your wife/gf/so tries to talk you into the next (shudder) La La Land movie remind her that this is a health issue and according to your doctor you need to see Rambo - Final Blood instead.

I'd see what your next test shows. it could be temporary as body, especially belly fat has a role in testosterone. If you have a messaging system (mine has a secure internal email system) you can also ask your doctor. My urologist told me that as I lost weight it would increase overall, so over time that's what I would expect.

You might also try cutting back on chick flicks and see if that helps. Next time your wife/gf/so tries to talk you into the next (shudder) La La Land movie remind her that this is a health issue and according to your doctor you need to see Rambo - Final Blood instead.
Or we could watch Conor McGregor whiskey tasting events, they seem to be about as violent as Rambo:)

Last blood work I had was in 2015 and mine was low also. Still within 'the range' though. For a year or so I was taking T supplements and i believe they are pretty useless. Curious as to what my T is now after doing intermittent fasting since May. Also more of a meat/fat eater now, KETO.
I would be curious as to an answer to your dilemma also. Would pass on T treatments, shots - no thanks. Well, if I started sprouting breasts and wanting to watch The View, maybe.

Has anybody else experienced this sudden level of drop in Testosterone? If so was the cause discovered. I do not want to go on HRT.

Do you lift weights regularly?

I didn't need an increase but I am pretty sure I got a good boost when I started lifting heavy regularly. I've seen a lot of videos advocating for this.

Best of luck!

Yes I do. Minimum three days a week. Actually I am moving closer to my gym which will help. Yes, I've heard heavier intensity training is the key to building up T.
I've normally kept to 10-12 reps but now I've dropped to 5-8. Plus bumped up the intensity. Being AARP I am concerned about injuring myself because someone a 20-something can recover from in a week might take me 90 days. So far so good.

KETO - but especially the no sugar aspect of it - means less inflammation. I am actually less banged up and sore from workouts now than I was at 40. My strength is about the same as when I was 70 lbs heavier ten years ago.

By strength I mean six strict curl bar reps at 75 lbs. That may be wimpy to some, but I am a geezer and only about 190 lbs now lol.

T info --

I have no plans to resume testing for A1C or Testosterone levels but I am pursuing a low carb diet again. My energy levels and desires to be active did not really improve much even after adding lots of carbs back into my diet. My weight did go back up. So back to cutting carbs again. Weight will be my only measure of success since I have no plans to visit my Doctor unless I break a bone.

I wonder if sceeder got to go on his moose hunt?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top