JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had been diagnosed as pre-diabetic in Dec 2017 with an A1C of 5.9%. I was close to 250lbs at that appt (with clothes on). Today I had new labs done and my A1C is 5.6% just out of the pre-diabetic range and I expect it to drop further. I started eating a low carb high fat diet around May and here are the results so far of that diet.

Test results from Dec 2017:

My A1C was 5.9%
Cholesterol179 mg/dL<=239 mg/dL
Triglyceride136 mg/dL<=499 mg/dL
HDL Chol50 mg/dL>=40 mg/dL
LDL Calc102 mg/dL<=159 mg/dL

Test results from today:
My A1C is now normal at 5.6% and I expect it will go lower by the end of the year. It takes about 6 to 7 months for the A1C numbers to fully adjust to a change in diet.

Cholesterol161 mg/dL<=239 mg/dL
Triglyceride53 mg/dL<=499 mg/dL
HDL Chol47 mg/dL>=40 mg/dL
LDL Calc103 mg/dL<=159 mg/dL

I have been eating tons of cheese, bacon, eggs, meat, some potatoes and a small amount of rice. I sneak some veggies in here and there but they are not my cup of tea. I have been eating Safeway Signature Select No Sugar Added ice cream for dessert. Don't let the doctors tell you eggs are going to raise your cholesterol or saturated fat is going to raise your triglycerides, it's bunk. Get rid of as many carbs as you can in your diet and your body will thank you for it.

Its true, its called the full fat paradox and accepted by modern science. Trans fats and saturated you still have consume in moderation, but if you drop all the processed carbs junk foods and sugar (being the biggest offender) your body responds.

So three months?

It looks like the only significant change was triglycerides, or am I reading it wrong?
Yes and the A1C moving down in to normal range. That reduction in triglycerides is huge and is amazing considering how much saturated fat I have been eating. Most doctors would have you believe that saturated fat is bad for you. Clearly that's not the case for me and many others.

From Woody Allen's Sleeper (1973)
Dr. Melik: This morning for breakfast he requested something called "wheat germ, organic honey and tiger's milk."
Dr. Aragon: [chuckling] Oh, yes. Those are the charmed substances that some years ago were thought to contain life-preserving properties.
Dr. Melik: You mean there was no deep fat? No steak or cream pies or... hot fudge?
Dr. Aragon: Those were thought to be unhealthy... precisely the opposite of what we now know to be true.
Dr. Melik: Incredible.

Nice! I started going "Loose Keto"--meaning not a strict "20g carbs a day or less" but "high-protein, high-healthy-fat, high-fiber and if I have a soda or a sandwich or some ice cream on a hot day no big deal as long as it's not every day"--and from a start in May I've gone from a lifetime high of almost 240lb down to having almost broken 220 several times in the past week, which is what I weighed ten years ago. Not to get cocky or overconfident, but it's conceivable that I may end up in better shape at 40 than I was at 20... :D

For reference: 5'6", even at 240 wasn't into pre-diabetic. Some of us just get lucky genes I guess... :)

I have been doing low carb no sugar for 4 months now have lost 40+lbs. My A1C from 8.0 down to 5.9 I feel great and have energy. Im now off all meds which were for gout, high blood pressure, reflux, diabetes. My weight was 237 now 195. Normal a1c is 5.7 or lower

So 5.9 to 5.6 is significant?
It meant the difference between being pre-diabetic and normal.
NormalBelow 5.7%
Prediabetes5.7% to 6.4%
Diabetes6.5% or above

While 3/10ths of a percentage point doesn't seem like much, there isn't a lot of separation between normal A1C and becoming diabetic. I expect to see my A1C drop further by the end of the year. Here is a more detailed explanation of why it takes a normal person (not on Insulin) 6 to 7 months for a diet change result to be fully realized in the A1C score. (If you donate blood on a regular basis that may allow your A1C to change more quickly):

Considering being normal and having Diabetes is only separated by 8/10ths of a percentage point on the A1C chart, my 3/10ths of a percentage point move is significant.

I have been doing low carb no sugar for 4 months now have lost 40+lbs. My A1C from 8.0 down to 5.9 I feel great and have energy. Im now off all meds which were for gout, high blood pressure, reflux, diabetes. My weight was 237 now 195. Normal a1c is 5.7 or lower
Going from 8.0 to 5.9 in 4 months is amazing. Great work!

Every year I quit drinking at new year and start again at spring break. This year I also quit eating sugar altogether and stopped snacking after dinner. I went from 230 to 185.

I also do between 65-200 pushups too.

The one thing that my body responded to the most? No sugar.

i always find that carbs are a killer. My nutritionest always drags out that food pyramid from the 70s and says to get all those grans and bubblegum. I lay off them and my weight always drops.
But a nice, crusty piece of sourdough is kryptonite to me.

Its true, its called the full fat paradox and accepted by modern science. Trans fats and saturated you still have consume in moderation, but if you drop all the processed carbs junk foods and sugar (being the biggest offender) your body responds.

I cut all refined sugar out of my diet, only taking in fruit sugars, and have been losing weight and gaining muscle like crazy. Extremely low carb, high fat and protein, lots of veg. I'm nearly 50, work in a warehouse, and outpace all but one of the 20somethings I work with who eat a "traditional" american diet.

Eat healthy.
Get rid of sugar.
You don't need a low low carb diet.
Cardio is Huge.!!
I quit testosterone injections. Did the above.
My triglycerides were 848. I dropped to 134.

My carbs are from vegetables no bread no pasta no rice no beans no candy bars no sugar. Eating vegetables I do get over 50 carbs per day I would say under a 100 but it's healthy carbs. If diabetic you need to cut your carbs way down and the carbs that you do you get need to be from vegetables no bread no pasta beans nothing like that and NO SUGAR it will amaze you of how well your body will respond reversing your diabetic state. Now type one diabetic is a little different but even then it will still help you out greatly. By now there has to be tens of thousands of cases out there proving that this low-carb diet immensely helps diabetics and people to lose weight and control their blood sugar.

Great job everyone!!!

My carbs are from vegetables no bread no pasta no rice no beans no candy bars no sugar. Eating vegetables I do get over 50 carbs per day I would say under a 100 but it's healthy carbs. If diabetic you need to cut your carbs way down and the carbs that you do you get need to be from vegetables no bread no pasta beans nothing like that and NO SUGAR it will amaze you of how well your body will respond reversing your diabetic state. Now type one diabetic is a little different but even then it will still help you out greatly. By now there has to be tens of thousands of cases out there proving that this low-carb diet immensely helps diabetics and people to lose weight and control their blood sugar.

Are you counting carbs or net carbs?

Only carbs you should count are total minus fiber. That might change your total numbers?

White processed flour is dangerous. I can eat a King Size Snickers and raise my blood sugar to 180 points for an hour or so, eat a plain, untoasted, large hamburger bun and it's 300+ for at least 3 hours or more.

My wife inserts herself into my health and diet so I can't have true discipline in my diet, she decides based on hocus pocus or a crik in her elbow, who knows. so I lose quite slow.

A dedicated Hi-Protien, very very low carb diet will shed serious weight. Hard to do seriously though, especially on the road.

One of the best things you can do, regardless of what diet is keep a log of everything thet goes in your mouth. It should have columns for amount, Calories, Fat, Proteins, Carbohydrates, and Salt. When you get a chance look up and record the results.
After awhile you will develop a better awareness of what your intake is, personally I don't pay all that much attention to salt.
Remember taste is primarily Fat, Sugar, and Salt.
Seriously keeping a diet diary or log will really help. You don't have to do it forever, eight or six weeks will work. Two days will not work, I tried that too.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top