JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have some questions about this Sentri pass.. Considering I may be going into Vancouver more often , because of the proximity to where I live, I would definitely like to get some type of pass that would ease the process of getting through the dreaded borders on both sides. I've determined that both the CBSA and CBP can be pretty hostile and many don't realize the border/immigration area is a special federal territory and you are not under any local US or Canadian law, but under federal law and the authorities have elevated powers that they would not have outside of these zones.

Anyhow, I am reading about the Nexus and Sentri pass. What is the difference between the two? It seems like the Sentri pass is for entering the US. Does the Sentri pass alone allow for easier access into Canada or do you still have to go through the same border crossing and procedures when entering Canada? I was reading that the Nexus pass allows easier access into US and Canada. Where I live, it appears many people have the Nexus pass as many Americans commute daily to and from work (or whatever) to Canada and many Canadian commute daily to and from the US, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, there is plenty to see & do right here in the USA. I retired after 21 years of Navy travel, and I have no desire to ever leave here again. If I happen to go to Alaska, I make sure it's non-stop from here to Anchorage.

I go to Canada about every other month on business and use the Blaine crossing, sometimes I'm asked if there are any firearms in the vehicle sometimes I am not. When asked I say no. I have never been asked more than that concerning firearms. Once coming back across the border the lines were backed up and US customs had a dog out walking the cars. As the dog sniffs my SUV it sat down. The dog handler got the dog on the move again but just two car further then stood there. Another customs agent came to my car and asked as soon as I can do so safely I need to pull out of the lane and follow him. He pointed to a closed lane, I followed the agent as instructed and when we got to closed check point he asked me if there were any firearms in the vehicle? I told him no, he said that the dog had alerted on my vehicle, is there any reason I know of why the dog would alert on my SUV? I started to say no then said I shoot firearms on a regular basis and keep my guns and gear in the back of the SUV. He asked again if there were any firearms or ammo in the vehicle and again I said no. I was directed to an inspection station and asked to get out of my ride. The agent asked me to point to where I keep my gear when I go shooting. I pointed to the back of the SUV. The dog made another pass and set down towards the rear for the SUV. The agent said that the dog had alerted twice now so they were going to do a physical inspection. Two agents check my ride fairly quickly then with all the doors and back hatch open let the dog jump in, the dog was drawn to the rear storage area of the SUV and set there looking dam happy with herself. The handler ordered her out and gave her the chew toy patting her like she just found a weapon of mass destruction. While all of this was going on the agent was asking what I did for a living, why I was in Canada and politely chatting me up with a play by play what was happening and asking a few other questions. I was a bit concerned that they were about to start ripping my ride apart but the agent came asked if I police my brass when I go to the range. I said yes and explained that I keep it in a mesh bag but it's not in there now. He smiled and said, the dog knows it was in there, she did her job. You are going to see us again unless you change how you store your spent brass. Then he told me I was free to go and said sorry for the delay. I said no need to be sorry, thanks for doing the job.

Honesty and attitude went a long way in making an inconvenience less of an issue. I expect they could of held me there much longer looking for something if they thought I had something to hide. It took more than a half hour but the agents were professional and friendly, I expect part of that was due to how I reacted to the questions and the search. He didn't suggest what I should do differently but I did change my ways, spent brass is now put in zip lock bags and instead of tossing it in the back of the SUV where it might stay for a week or so I bought a plastic tub it goes in and I take it out when I get home. I don't know if it will make a difference but I do know if I get the dog sniff again I will respond the same way.

Was this the agent? It would explain a lot.
http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/01/10/rob-sidhu-handed-eight-year-sentence-in-u-s/

Former B.C. Mountie turned cocaine smuggler Rapinder (Rob) Sidhu was handed an eight year sentence in Seattle Friday for his leadership role in a massive cross-border drug ring.

Looks like he was RCMP, not CBSA border agent. Maybe a relative?

Former RCMP, and from what the article shows, he resigned from that organization in the midst of an internal investigation, likely involving him. He had somehow threatened / coerced Canadian border agents in his smuggling scheme. It likely has nothing to do with what some "overzealous" agents do to harass American gun owners.

For the record, however, I can say for a fact that I know of a former US military member that took firearms into Vancouver BC and murdered a cab driver and stole his cash. This happened in the early 1990's. I say "took" because he regularly went across the border in Blaine to party in BC, and he normally had a shotgun and a pistol in the trunk of his car, and was never searched. I had some interaction with this particular guy, as I was stationed at NAS Whidbey Island at the time, and he was in my squadron. He was of low moral character, shall we say. He was discharged ( sadly he was a Marine), returned to BC to stand trial, and was sentenced to prison. I imagine he has since been released from prison and returned to the states. I reckon there are enough bad folks that make it pretty rough on the rest of us law abiding citizens.

I had miserable trip to Canada last time.. I've actually decided that I am never going back to Canada, except for maybe to do a hiking trip, but maybe not even that. Things cost more money, there is more crime in Vancouver than Seattle , the people are extremely passive aggressive/Anti-American and I lose my freedoms, not being able to legally defend myself with a firearm. Even defending with pepper spray is illegal there, but you can buy dog pepper spray in the stores. Actually, that is what I did; although, it is still illegal to use on humans, but who cares , right?

I've come to the consensus that overall Canadians don't really like Americans. They see Americans as belligerent, gun-toting, warmongering , oppressive imperialists who terrorize the world. In reality, I find that Canadians seem to act ruder to Americans when visiting our country, hording the stores and clogging up the roads. I got chewed out yesterday on my trip to Vancouver as being a rude American. I was at a restaurant (one you order at the counter) trying to order and the lady was ignoring me and then after finally getting her attention, got my order wrong. When I voiced my frustration, I suppose one of her loyal Canadians friends screamed at me saying I am very rude person and that I should honor these ladies for being so kind to cook food for me and serve me. Then, the girl behind the counter gave her friend a high five and they started laughing at me. I said, well I am a customer who is paying her my hard-earned money, shouldn't they honor me?? The people saw I was American as they heard me talking to my family about wanting to get rid of Canadian money before we return to USA, etc. I was tired and hungry and had long day trying to maneuver the crazy streets of Vancouver and didn't have time to put up with their bullcrap. I guess I am not use to being a place where a customer must earn the respect of the merchant before he is worthy of the honor of being a customer.

I feel like I was racially (or my nationality) profiled by the people and got the typical, "YOU ARE IN OUR COUNTRY, OBEY AND RESPECT US, AMERICAN" type of mentality. I wonder when they are in our stores screaming at our customer service people throwing their garbage on the road , etc and driving like maniacs why they think they are such good guests in our country? Man, I am shocked at how horrible Canadians drive!! I almost got into two accidents my last trip to Vancouver, being cut off by people who don't signal.

I've talked to enough Canadians who bad mouth the USA and talk down on Americans and the USA and its just making me sick. If I say just one thing critical about Canada they go ballistic on me and start spewing their anti-American venom on me. They will even come to the USA and be bad-mouthing the country while here, because they feel they have the right to be, being superior Canadians.

Maybe there is lot of good Canadians and Vancouver, BC doesn't represent them all. Just be careful not to let people know you are an American when you are there.. You will be sure to be growled at for the littlest reason.. Be sure to be obedient and respectful to store people if you are an American, as you are considered a belligerent and hateful aggressor.

Anyway, I am going off-topic on my own thread.. I am just pissed off from my crappy trip yesterday. Funny enough, the border was a breeze. I am doing the Lynden border.. They are much more easy going.. Maybe Officer Sidhu is a class act and an entity of his own. I guess this experience I had really had more to do with Officer Sidhu than the Canadian Border Patrol. Just be careful to not refer to British Columbia as a state to the border guards or you may find yourself in the detainment room learning Canadian geography the hard way.. Wow, that really pisses them off when you do that.. o_O IT'S A PROVINCE!!

Anyhow, considering I won't be back, I won't have to worry about any more border headaches.. Although, I think I am starting to understand this whole border thing more.. Good education for my next vacation to who knows where.

Last Edited:
Just wait until you have had government goons with sub-machine gun NOT ALLOW YOU TO LEAVE THEIR COUNTRY until they search every cubic inch of your luggage. . .

Happened to me and my 5 year old daughter in 2004 while trying to leave China.

Have no clue what they were looking for.

My mom and Dad went into Canada several years ago and Dad was questioned about guns that he owned. He didn't tell them anything except that he owns guns and had none with him. That was my "red flag" that if I ever went to Canada again, I would answer "No". F'em. "No, I don't own guns". They need to know nothing.

They probably have a list of every gun you own that was purchased through an FFL. Lying to them is not a good strategy.

Last Edited:
I have had my CHL from the age of 21 and have had an enhanced drivers license for about 6 years now.

I've never had any questions about my firearms other then if I had any in the vehicle.

Been in and out and never had an issue. I'm starting to think I've been lucky up until now.

I have had my CHL from the age of 21 and have had an enhanced drivers license for about 6 years now.

I've never had any questions about my firearms other then if I had any in the vehicle.

Been in and out and never had an issue. I'm starting to think I've been lucky up until now.

Yup, you have.. I have had 3 trips across the border in the last 4 months and this original post was about my horrible experience with the Canadian Border Patrol on my first trip. He terrorized me , had my car searched, seized my phone and accused me of doing all types of horrible things before letting me on my way an hour later. However, my second two trips I had no problems and wasn't even asked if I had weapons by the second border guard. The third border guard asked and I said I had bear pepper spray and he didn't bother me anymore about it. Just random questions, am I going to do any work, meet any people, have relatives, why am I going to Canada (tourism of course), etc.

I learned some lessons actually that I think have helped me in dealing with border cops:
1. Never say you are meeting somebody, even if it is true.
2. Never volunteer information.
3. As with #2, never be quick to admit anything, such as being a gun owner , having gun permits, etc.
4. If you are going to Vancouver , avoid the I-5 Peace Arch like the plague. The Lynden crossing has much friendlier guards and generally is much less wait time. Also, it is not too far out of the way of the I-5 crossing and with lesser border times, it actually could be quicker. I got detained at the Peace Arch crossing.

This thread is kinda amusing. CBP is just as well trained government agency as any other. I go to Canada several times a month and my stops in customs used to range from minutes to hours. Thank god for NEXUS which allows crossing without speaking to anyone. You have to realize that if you travel international your rights in the US do not apply. People are getting upset about a foreign country trying to protect it's borders maybe we should be more concerned about the scrutiny visitors to this country go through.

This thread is kinda amusing. CBP is just as well trained government agency as any other. I go to Canada several times a month and my stops in customs used to range from minutes to hours. Thank god for NEXUS which allows crossing without speaking to anyone. You have to realize that if you travel international your rights in the US do not apply. People are getting upset about a foreign country trying to protect it's borders maybe we should be more concerned about the scrutiny visitors to this country go through.
I entirely agree with your last statement. Gotta admit, though, after having traveled the world in a 21 year military career, the CBP of today is a changed organization. Twelve years ago I flew to Nova Scotia for a vacation and visit some friends in the Maritimes. After getting there from Boston, the lady at Canadian Customs gave me the hard look. "What is your business here?". "Who are you seeing" and "How long are you staying". I answered all questions, and stated that my friends from Halifax were on the way to pick me up. She sat there at the podium just looking from my passport and back to me for fifteen minutes, not saying anything, but I wonder what was going on in that Tim Hortons energized brain. She finally let me pass with a disgusted wave of her hand. No, I don't have a need to go to Canada again. They can have their country to themselves.

It doesn't surprise me.. Border cops on both sides of the border are basically above the law. I even wonder if the border agent will face any disciplinary action. Some of them can be very trigger happy yahoos. I know Officer Sidhu would have only been too happy to pull his gun on me and unload a magazine into my chest if I just gave him any excuse to do so. I guess after sitting at a booth all day asking boring questions they want to feel like they are going to save the world by killing the bad guy. It doesn't matter if that bad guy happens to be a law-abiding citizen.

Maybe, sitting at those borders all day makes these guys go insane?? I don't know, but I know firsthand that some of these border cops are complete whackjobs. Securing the borders is one thing, but harassing and terrorizing people is another.

Oh yes, after an internal review of THEIR video, they find no wrongdoing. Everything is SOP and OkeeDokee. Their video, of course, is classified and cannot be viewed by any independent organization for verification. Trust us, we're with the government. Transparency, they say? Wow, you can rely on the government in general, and this administration in particular, to cover up any and all wrongdoing on their part. It's called stonewalling, and telling an array of fabrications, until the press and the public lose interest in the matter. I hope Grassley adds this to the ever growing list of scandals to investigate.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top