JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Canadian border agent: Do you have any firearms with you?

Me: No, sir. Firearms are evil and kill people.

Canadian border agent: Do you own any firearm at home?

Me: No, sir. Firearms are evil and kill people.

Border agent: That's it, you're getting a cavity search!!

o_O

Rrrrrrrrrrrrright!!!!! That's really going to happen.

How are they going to know if I have a firearm in my home 2 thousands miles away in another country? CCP?? I know quite a few people whom have drivers licenses but don't own cars... and that's even IF CANADA HAS ACCESS TO EACH STATE'S INFORMATION....

So again, how am I in any kind of trouble for telling a Canadian customs official at the boarder I don't own any firearms??

Moreover, how does that response piss off a customs agent?

If you are a rational person and you get a response from another person, who appears rational, that on the surface does not seem logical would your index of suspicion increase?
To anyone not involved or around what has been termed the "American Gun Culture" there are uninformed assumptions about American gun owners and people with carry permits. A Canadian will assume that you have been through at least a couple of days of training, paid a lot of money (relatively) for paper work and permits, bought a lot of secure storage to get that carry permit because that's what it takes just to own a simple rifle or shotgun in Canada.
So what kind of person would do all that if they don't even own a gun?
As soon as they get a response that on the surface does not make sense they start to dig. If you believe that someone is playing games with you or lying what is your reaction?
The question of whether or not a CWP will be flagged in the computer is still an open question which I suspect will vary by computer system and state record keeping. I also suspect that the exact scope of records shared between the US and Canada is considered classified. I would assume that if they ask about it, they know you have one.
You are not technically "In trouble" for omission or lies to a customs official if you are not doing so in the furtherance of the breaking of a law but as noted above, they can make your life miserable and you have almost no recourse.

For mouthing off ... Canadians need to protect their border from Yanks bringing in drugs. Read where one smart mouth got a cavity search simply because there were ashes in his cars ash tray and when asked about them he had a smart guy answer.
LOL!! But I'm not smarting off!! And what a great place Canada must be in your mind that 'smarting off' gets you a cavity search!! BTW, I have no ashes in my car

LOL!! But I'm not smarting off!! And what a great place Canada must be in your mind that 'smarting off' gets you a cavity search!! BTW, I have no ashes in my car

It's not Canada that you are smarting off to at the time. It's some person stuck in a little booth at a usually boring task, with poor job satisfaction and poor opportunity for advancement in one of the professions that is generally looked down upon.
That can lead to a generally bad attitude.
That person also has a lot of discretion to make your life miserable as you attempt to cross.
Remember that customer that really pissed you off when you were having a bad day? What would you do to them if you had all the power to do it with no repercussions and it might even look good to your supervisor because you were showing "initiave"?

I've been feeling like a ping pong ball with my emotions and these responses have really intrigued me and got me thinking. It seems like it is hard to make a consensus of my treatment and the correct action to take or if I should take any action. I've been hearing a lot of people saying I was certainly abused and it would be morally wrong for me to not report his actions and to help prevent bullies like him from harassing other innocent tourists who have the unfortunate experience of having to deal with them on their next Canadian vacation. On the other hand, I have been hearing people who say that harassing, interrogating, searching and intimidating tourists (and their own Canadian citizens) is what they are paid to do and maybe his line of questioning and harsh treatment is just a normal part of the job and he was not out of line.

Last Edited:
All I know is this man has caused me a lot of emotional stress and I was not prepared for my joy ride to turn into a day of terror. If I was more thin-skinned, like many people I know, I think I would have required a trip to the shrink as a result of the way the man treated me. .

Really? For really? Some border guard in a bad mood turned your day into 'a day of terror?' Like 9/11 or something? And you have friends that are even more dramatic than yourself??

SInce when is the word terror and 9/11 become synonymous?? Ok, I see I haven't won your sympathy.. Instead of being a smarta$$ you could just let me know if harassing and threatening a person after detaining them and searching their car, viewing their phone messages is just a normal part of the procedure.

No offense, Mr. BC Don, I haven't done a lot of travelling to Canada.

And, yeah, maybe I will just let it go... I will assume being treated like a piece of dog s*** is just a normal thing at border crossings.. I guess I will be more prepared next time.

Anyhow, maybe I will just bow out of this and let it go.

BTW, Here's a dictionary definition of "terror", a lot of people get their education from reading news articles, rather than from the dictionary , itself:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/terror

ter·ror
noun\ˈter-ər, ˈte-rər\
: a very strong feeling of fear

: something that causes very strong feelings of fear : something that is terrifying

: violence that is committed by a person, group, or government in order to frighten people and achieve a political goal

Last Edited:
Oy Vey... if you look back in the posts I think I explained how the border guards asked open ended questions to see where they go. If you can't handle Canadian customs, I really suggest you never travel to any other country, especially 3rd world ones..

To be clear, when you enter another country, the agent you run into can decide to let you in or not, to search you or not, to have you arrested, to turn you around, whatever -- in fact, this is also the case when returning to your own country. If you don't like, it stay home. But if you do decide to visit, don't turn into a drama queen and you'll find things go much different.

Best of luck to you...

Oy Vey... if you look back in the posts I think I explained how the border guards asked open ended questions to see where they go. If you can't handle Canadian customs, I really suggest you never travel to any other country, especially 3rd world ones..

To be clear, when you enter another country, the agent you run into can decide to let you in or not, to search you or not, to have you arrested, to turn you around, whatever -- in fact, this is also the case when returning to your own country. If you don't like, it stay home. But if you do decide to visit, don't turn into a drama queen and you'll find things go much different.

Best of luck to you...

Oy Vey?? Oy Vey Iz Mir?? Fellow Yiden?

I wasn't being the drama queen , your friend in Canadian customs was. YOU HAVE GUNS!! YOU HAVE CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT!!! OMG!! GET OVER THERE WE NEED TO SEARCH YOU!! AHHHHH!!

I was like, WTF??? Is this really happening?

I thought I was going to Canada, not West Africa again.. Well, next time I will bring my jungle boots and an extra pair of underwear... I guess the new name I coined the country "Canuckistan" has more meaning now..

What I wrote above was just the way I would file a complaint.. Obviously, if you think he was not out of line, then you could have just said it, rather than playing some annoying Bollywood video.. You do realize how much I hate Bollywood dance videos don't you??? :mad:

BC Don... I actually am not going to file a complaint.. It is jut a lot of people said I should do it.. I have had border guards harass and intimidate me before, even had one point an AK-47 at me.. I guess border guards are pretty much the same across the globe...

No hard feelings..

Well, with all your drama I thought it suited you.. sorry, I hope I didn't terrorize you too much.

Now, off to find out how to unsubscribe this thread and add Miss Drama to an ignore list.

Geeez... Ok, my apologies.. Who is acting like the drama queen now?? Let's just bury the hatchet... Seriously, it is stupid to fight over this...

I'm seeing you're a Canadian.. I know Canadians get offended when AMericans say anything bad about their country.. My apologies.. I was not in any way try to talk down on Canadians or Canada, this has to do with the CBSA/Border people, not the people of Canada.

Last Edited:
I would just like to add that I had a similar experience last year, around April, when my wife and I went up to Whistler.

The (very cute) Canadian border control girl asked the usual questions about time & places we would be visiting. Then she pops the question, "do you own any guns?" I answer yes.

"Do you have any guns now?"
"No way. I'm very familiar with your laws."

"When was the last time you had guns in this car?"
"A long time ago, this is my wife's car."

"What kind of guns?"
"All different kinds."

"How many?"
"Too many to list"

Her attitude was pretty condescending, and at this point I was just tired of the grilling.

"What do you use them for?"
"That's my business, ma'am."

At this point the conversation halts, she stares at me for a few seconds, and gives me the OK to pass through.

You can be as forthcoming or secretive as you wish, but understand that if they don't like your answers, expect to be directed to the U-turn route back to Blaine.

Ironically, when I went into Canada several months before that for a job contract lasting several days, I was asked to pull into the Canadian border control office. There I was asked to pull out my laptop and provide proof of employment, show any communications relating to the job I was going to be doing, and so on. The border control officers even wanted me to explain to them why a Canadian wasn't hired to do this job instead of an American - the reason was that I was in Seattle, and the only other Canadian trained and on retainer to do the specific job, was in Newfoundland. Guess which costs less in fuel & travel expenses? It was pretty ridiculous.

Dang, and I thought MY life had drama! Perhaps the OP should kneel down and kiss the soil of the good ol' USA. I know everyone here gripes about our restrictive gun laws, but our whiny OP here has opened a window to what it COULD be like here, and of course, IS in Canada. Makes one think we are not so bad off down here as we might be. Also make me want to write a check to the NRA!

Dang, and I thought MY life had drama! Perhaps the OP should kneel down and kiss the soil of the good ol' USA. I know everyone here gripes about our restrictive gun laws, but our whiny OP here has opened a window to what it COULD be like here, and of course, IS in Canada. Makes one think we are not so bad off down here as we might be. Also make me want to write a check to the NRA!

How am I any more of a whiner than any of the other people whining about their 2A gun rights?? Really, I was treated like dog crap at the Canadian border because I have an American CHL and own guns in my own country and now I am a whiner for sharing the experience. Considering I have read several posts here where people complain here about being harassed for opening carrying at the supermarket in Portland or Seattle, I think what I went through was more substantial. Did I mention I was unarmed? Some schm*ck thinks because I have a CHL he can seize my phone and view all my text messages? Ok, maybe this is normal and border police are granted nazi-like powers... All I wanted to do was know the rules and I would like to get pro-active in seeing what can be done to prevent harassment of Americans at the border.

Anyhow, people like you have gotten your wish, I will not file a complaint with the CBSA, because too many here have criticized me and told me I should shut up, stop complaining and take the interrogation like a man.

Really, stop whining and crying about your gun rights all of you.. Just shut up and do what the government tells you..

Here is my phone Officer Sidhu.. Have fun!! Oh yeah..

Shame on me for not being prepared to have my privacy invaded and treated like a criminal for the one reason "I am too comfortable around my guns". Had the guy told me that there is terrorist activity or I fit the profile of a suspected drug trafficker I could have had a bit more understanding of the interrogation.

The American CBP agent had the same info as the Canadian CBSA agent did on the way back and after 1 minute of simple questioning and a quick peep in the back of my truck he waved me on.. This was at 2AM when I returned back on the same trip.

BTW, anybody who thinks this is just a Canadian issue is wrong. My government shared personal information with the Canadian government, which means this is a national issue. I would like to at least get involved in fighting for legislation to prevent my government from sharing my concealed handgun information with foreign governments. My gun license is legally obtained and valid in the USA and should not bear any weight on my travels to foreign countries. I feel my own country has abused my privacy.

The way I see it is that the American government shares concealed handgun information with foreign governments, because the American government themselves sees gun owners as a threat.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top