JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Ten Republican Senators joined DeMint in his call to limit U.S. Representatives to three terms and U.S. Senators to two terms in office.

“If we’re ever going to permanently change Washington, we must change the process that encourages career politicians to amass personal power instead of making the hard decisions for the nation,” said Senator DeMint. “We need true citizen legislators who spend their time defending the constitution, not currying favor with lobbyists. We need new leaders continually coming to Congress to ensure every taxpayer dollar is spent wisely, not wasted on Washington special interests. We must end the era of permanent politicians that has led us to a $14 trillion debt and a pending fiscal crisis”

Term Limits Congress | DeMint Constitutional Amendment | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

It is a beginning, a beginning We The People can grow.

Here, Here...Once term limits are in place we can end the practice of lifetime benefits, as well.
Service in the legislature should be viewed as a civic duty.

They've said this all before. New people have promised to serve one or two then stop. But they get there, power corrupts like power does, and well, here we are.

An interesting quote I heard once about this is "Hogs don't butcher themselves".

If I remember right, a Constitutional Amendment requires a majority vote of both the House and Senate, then the ratification by two-thirds of all of the state legislatures, and I presume that means both houses of those states with both a House and Senate. That means a WHOLE LOT of politicians will have to favor term limits for this amendment to pass and be ratified. Lets not hold our breath...........................elsullo

If I remember right, a Constitutional Amendment requires a majority vote of both the House and Senate, then the ratification by two-thirds of all of the state legislatures, and I presume that means both houses of those states with both a House and Senate. That means a WHOLE LOT of politicians will have to favor term limits for this amendment to pass and be ratified. Lets not hold our breath...........................elsullo

Ayup, what elsullo said... it'll never happen.

Its a funny thing this issue, because the BEST term limits are called elections. One would think this should be all that is necessary because putting myself into the place of the Founding Fathers at the time when the crafted this system, you would THINK that a sane and rational people would vote in their best interest (as a nation) and not keep voting for their ruination and destruction.

Instead you have pockets of people that keep voting (with a straight face no less) for the likes of Barney's Frank, Stretch Pelosi, Call Me Senator Babs Boxer, Schmucky Schumer, Rent Control Rangel, and Cowboy Poetry Festival Harold Reid that place their districts in a place of "prominence" and "seniority" because they bring home the pork(rinds).

I'm sure the Chinese and the growing Caliphate supporters are just quaking in their boots....

Term limits would be fine. I would rather see their benefit package gone. The founders never intended this great country represented by career politicians. They wanted at least one branch filled with common people that served their term and went back to private lives. That's how we keep things in balance.

Well, Lets See, hows that working out for us??? HUMMMMM. Not so good I think !!! Once they get in there,and if they are enough of a shister, they'll be there for life or sniffing around the edges like a bunch of jackles.

I don't know about term limits. There are issues related to changing the Constitution on top of the fact that there are some Rep's and Senators that despite their long tenure seem to do a good job. My example would be Peter DeFazio and I would have loved to have seen my former home stater Senator Pete Simpson stay in office a lot longer.

At any rate, what I would suggest is not so much about term limits for Rep's and Senators but for any federal empolyee above a certain level. I would advocate for the idea that once you have severed ties with the federal government (voluntraily or not) there is a "x" amount of time where you can not have dealing with the government directly. This is to stop the notion of lobbyists, consultants, etc who make a mint after leaving public work to use their knowledge to make themselves rich. For Rep's and Senators I would suggest that they buffer zone be 2 times the amount of time they spent in office and for other federal employees at least a 1 to 1 ratio.

Term limits are in place already.All it takes is for the majority to vote the person out of office

That is term limitation

But we are too stupid to do that,so we need more laws telling us not to vote for the person just because they are already in office.

We don't need more limitations we need more education

More education would help, but you've still to many holding there hands out, "what ya giong ta do for me" types for things to change, Damn there,s that C word again !!! STOP !!! I didn't need no stinking change, where's Ronney when ya need him !!

There have been studies done that indicate the longer that politicians stay in office the more influenced they are by lobbyists.

We need term limits. History has proven that the electorate is not smart enough to vote out corrupt candidates.

After their term limits are done they can try for a higher (or lower) office or retire.

Along with ending corporate donations and lobbyists this is one change that is truly needed.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top