JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In order to escape my real life dystopian "adventures", I like to find an excuse to drive somewhere several hours from home and listen to Audio books.
Usually weekend gun shows, parts trades or whatever...
I started out listening to Books on CD I grabbed at truck stops while on a road trip a couple years ago. Then I found audible. I'm up to around 100 books or so in my library.
My preferred genre is best described as Post Apocalyptic Dystopian Survival Adventures.... When it comes to my prepper books, I don't like anything with Zombie, super natural, or other science fiction elements... But rather fiction that could could just as easily be fact If we found ourselves facing TEOTWAWKI. Don't get me wrong, I like Zombie and science fiction movies, TV series, and video games as much as the next guy. That's just not what I'm interested in when it comes to audio books... at least not right now. I prefer good stories with situations and scenarios that one could potentially find themselves in without rules of law...mortal characters finding practical solutions using only the preps they had the foresight to make.
You know... good ol' wholesome, thought provoking, apocalyptic fun.

Ive listened to dozens and dozens of these books over the last couple years. My problem is that its getting harder and harder to find a decent book, or series of books that fits my criteria... Let alone one that is narrated by someone who's voice and style I can listen to for hours on end without wanting to swerve into oncoming traffic.

I'm currently on Book 2 of Nicholas Sansbery Smith's "Tracker" Series and I'm liking it so far...good story and cast of characters, but not a lot of knowledge to help prep... It is a 4 book series, but the remaining 2.5 books won't last long and I'll be looking for the next one...

Does anybody have any good suggestions that I should download to have on deck?

If this kind of story interests you and you'd like to get into the genre...I'd start by reading the following, and do it in this order..

#1...William R. Forstchen "One Second After" Series(3 books)
Undoubtedly the series that defines the genre in my mind. The OG EMP prep series and definitely the best place to start.

#2...James Wesley Rawles "Patriots"
based on financial collapse...
This book has by far the most prepper knowledge per chapter than any other book I've read. It was a bit long winded, and slow to start.... but it eventually gains serious momentum and it is jam packed with prepper gold.
The narrator kinda grated on my nerves at first, but I got over it eventually...

#3....A. American "Going Home"/ Survivalist Series(10 books + A few more with the "Charlie's Requiem" spin off I ).
This is actually my favorite series, but I'd get the previously listed books read first because the majority of the prepper knowledge is learned in the first couple books of this series, but the story and cast of characters will suck you in and with this many books it's going to take a while.

If you decide you like the genre, A few More I really enjoyed are:

-Russel Blake "Day After Never" series... it's a Post-Apocalypse meets Wild West... M4's from horse back:s0155:
-Tom Abraham's "Traveler" series
-Josh Gayou "Commune" series :eek:

If you know of any other good listens along the same lines that are available in audio form. PLEASE do share!

Last Edited:
Audio books are free downloaded from public libraries.

My wife does it for me or I'd have no way to do this as I'm techno-disabled, I'm lucky to even be here...

In the past ten years, I've listened to maybe, a couple of thousand, perhaps more audio books from classics to just published...

From non-fiction to fiction, audio books are one of my great pleasures.

They're especially good to listen to when doing tedious chores.

I'm also an audiobook junkie but I wont buy them... they're just too expensive to listen to once and I can burn through 2-3 during a typical week even when interspersed w podcasts and stuff.

I get em from the library and you can either go and get CDs or download them to your phone or MP3 device. The latter provides dozens of thousands of titles vs whatever the local branch has on hand plus... no need for pants.

I'm currently halfway through Trent Reedy's trilogy wherein the newly formed Republic of Idaho is at war with the United States. The books do a lot of name-dropping of real cities in ID, WA, and OR.

Spoiler Alert: Lewiston is in ruins... the USN floated two ships up the Columbia and destroyed it. The Idaho army destroyed the locks so the ships were stranded at Clarkston. That kind of stuff.

I usually get modern crime fiction, I was a Harry Bosch (Michael Connelly) and Jack Reacher (Lee Child) fan years before the tv show and movies came out. Harlen Coben, James Patterson, Robert B Parker, Carl Hiaasen, and Robert Crais are among my favorites. I'm looking forward to expanding my "likes" into other areas.

Last Edited:
Jon,

You named some of my favorite writers too.

Sadly, Robert B Parker is dead, but Ace Atkins does a pretty good job of writing like him and with Joe Mantega doing the voice of Spenser you'd swear RBP wrote the books, yes, there's more than one out there too.

RPB's westerns are also done by AA with Titus Welliver doing the voices of Cole and Hitch - wonderfully entertaining.

If you haven't already, consider looking into some of the non-fiction like biographies of great people and a lot excellent contemporary political pieces.

I

In order to escape my real life dystopian "adventures", I like to find an excuse to drive somewhere several hours from home and listen to Audio books.
Usually weekend gun shows, parts trades or whatever...
I started out listening to Books on CD I grabbed at truck stops while on a road trip a couple years ago. Then I found audible. I'm up to around 100 books or so in my library.
My preferred genre is best described as Post Apocalyptic Dystopian Survival Adventures.... When it comes to my prepper books, I don't like anything with Zombie, super natural, or other science fiction elements... But rather fiction that could could just as easily be fact If we found ourselves facing TEOTWAWKI. Don't get me wrong, I like Zombie and science fiction movies, TV series, and video games as much as the next guy. That's just not what I'm interested in when it comes to audio books... at least not right now. I prefer good stories with situations and scenarios that one could potentially find themselves in without rules of law...mortal characters finding practical solutions using only the preps they had the foresight to make.
You know... good ol' wholesome, thought provoking, apocalyptic fun.

Ive listened to dozens and dozens of these books over the last couple years. My problem is that its getting harder and harder to find a decent book, or series of books that fits my criteria... Let alone one that is narrated by someone who's voice and style I can listen to for hours on end without wanting to swerve into oncoming traffic.

I'm currently on Book 2 of Nicholas Sansbery Smith's "Tracker" Series and I'm liking it so far...good story and cast of characters, but not a lot of knowledge to help prep... It is a 4 book series, but the remaining 2.5 books won't last long and I'll be looking for the next one...

Does anybody have any good suggestions that I should download to have on deck?

If this kind of story interests you and you'd like to get into the genre...I'd start by reading the following, and do it in this order..

#1...William R. Forstchen "One Second After" Series(3 books)
Undoubtedly the series that defines the genre in my mind. The OG EMP prep series and definitely the best place to start.

#2...James Wesley Rawles "Patriots"
based on financial collapse...
This book has by far the most prepper knowledge per chapter than any other book I've read. It was a bit long winded, and slow to start.... but it eventually gains serious momentum and it is jam packed with prepper gold.
The narrator kinda grated on my nerves at first, but I got over it eventually...

#3....A. American "Going Home"/ Survivalist Series(10 books + A few more with the "Charlie's Requiem" spin off I ).
This is actually my favorite series, but I'd get the previously listed books read first because the majority of the prepper knowledge is learned in the first couple books of this series, but the story and cast of characters will suck you in and with this many books it's going to take a while.

If you decide you like the genre, A few More I really enjoyed are:

-Russel Blake "Day After Never" series... it's a Post-Apocalypse meets Wild West... M4's from horse back:s0155:
-Tom Abraham's "Traveler" series
-Josh Gayou "Commune" series :eek:

If you know of any other good listens along the same lines that are available in audio form. PLEASE do share!
If you are using Audible, I would suggest:
(1) Search for narrator Kevin Peirce...he has a great voice
(2) Author Franklin Horton
(3) Author Matt Bracken (Enemies Foreign & Domestic 3-book series)
(4) J.L. Bourne (Tomorrow War Series)
(5) Tom Abrahams (The Traveler Series)
(6) Boyd Craven III (The Devil Dog Trilogy)
(7) Dean Koontz (Watchers)
(8) Mark Goodwin (The Days of Noah)
(9) George Stewart (Earth Abides)

...lots more

RPB's westerns are also done by AA with Titus Welliver doing the voices of Cole and Hitch - wonderfully entertaining.

I've read and listened to some post-Parker Spenser books but I'll have to look for newer Cole and Hitch adventures.... I thought the movie Apaloosa wasted a lot of talent. Without regard to his goofy politics, I really like Ed Harris' acting

After hating Titus Welliver as the IRA gun dealer in Sons of Anarchy, I've come to enjoy him in Bosch. I just wish they'd speed up the pace a little.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top