JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello NorthWest Firearms members. This is my first post. I will be retiring in 4/21 and I am leaving California for Washington State. I have already purchased a home in Vancouver, WA. I have a few firearms that I need temporary gun storage while I am in transition. Where in the eastern part of Vancouver, WA can I find a business that provides temporary gun storage? Thanks in advance.

Hello NorthWest Firearms members. This is my first post. I will be retiring in 4/21 and I am leaving California for Washington State. I have already purchased a home in Vancouver, WA. I have a few firearms that I need temporary gun storage while I am in transition. Where in the eastern part of Vancouver, WA can I find a business that provides temporary gun storage? Thanks in advance.

Pawn shop?
Put them in pawn for $100 ea. Rates should not be bad for 30-60 days.
Try America's Pawn. They are on Mill Plain close to the I-205.
Best,
Gary

Pawn shop?
Put them in pawn for $100 ea. Rates should not be bad for 30-60 days.
Try America's Pawn. They are on Mill Plain close to the I-205.
Best,
Gary
That's interesting... I never would have thought of that.

But don't you have to get a BGC to get em back out? Is it for each one, or can you cover multiple firearms with one?

I once pawned a gun for a little quick cash and was unpleasantly surprised when I went back to get it. That was in OR though and it was only one.

I'd check with your local gun stores. I'm not sure how the WA firearm transfer laws would affect this, but your local firearms dealer will know.

If by " while I am in transition" you mean multiple trips, then I understand the concern about leaving them unattended at either end. As @jbett98 asked, do you have a safe? If so, make sure it moves first and gets bolted down in the best location possible. If not, at least get an alarm system installed at your new home, and introduce yourself to the neighbors. No sales tax on the purchase of safes in Washington. Welcome to the site.:)

I checked with the pawn shop. You DO have to do BGC to retrieve YOUR firearm.
What a crock of meadow muffins.
☹☹☹☹
Couldn't agree more. So much for easily being able to have a trusted friend temporarily store your firearms and keep them safe. Absolute bull $#it....

I checked with the pawn shop. You DO have to do BGC to retrieve YOUR firearm.
What a crock of meadow muffins.
☹️☹️☹️☹️

If the OP takes them to an FFL they will HAVE to do a BGC to retrieve them. Out of state transfer and all....I wouldn't go that route.

How about a storage unit near the new place? Bring them up on one trip and leave them there until the move is complete.

Another thought might be to leave them with a gunsmith for some minor work/inspection. No background check needed to get them back.

Solution might be to move the duns and the safe at the same time. That's what I'm planning to do when I sneak out of Antifastan.

How about a storage unit near the new place? Bring them up on one trip and leave them there until the move is complete.
I did this. Kept them locked in a safe, stuffed in the back (behind furniture and such) of a locked storage garage, in a storage facility that was gated and had a person on staff 24/7 keeping an eye on the place. I felt confident and had no issues, but then I don't have a huge, high dollar collection.

If you're moving your home with a reputable big name van line they can temporarily store your guns at the origins facility as it costs more to store with the destinations facility. Do not use John & Ted Doe Movers or any other fly by night outfit because your guns will come up missing. If you like, my wife can walk you through some of those options and explain further. Send me a PM and I'll get you two lined up.

I did this. Kept them locked in a safe, stuffed in the back (behind furniture and such) of a locked storage garage, in a storage facility that was gated and had a person on staff 24/7 keeping an eye on the place. I felt confident and had no issues, but then I don't have a huge, high dollar collection.

Many storage facilities have fine print about not allowing firearms. Same with moving companies. In reality it seems to be more "don't ask, don't tell".

I would be driving up nonstop and if your coming from Southern California then take a partner. I lived in Pollock Pines, CA which is East of Placerville. I rented a U-Haul and drove nonstop for about 18 hours. I did have my wife but she doesn't like driving a U-Haul truck so we stopped at most of the rest stops in Northern California, Oregon and Washington on the way up.

Because of the mountains in California and Oregon it took several hours longer than if I had a car. You bought a home so I would buy a safe and have bolted down to the floor. Get one with A/C if possible and plug dryer rod in. If no A/C the you can by few dehumidifiers that plug into the wall to recharge.

Last Edited:
Tracker safe in Vancouver helped me out with a similar situation. I've been using them since 2010.
I moved down to CA for an apprenticeship and brought all my guns with me (didn't have anywhere to leave them, don't tell mr Gavin Newscum).

I bought my new house in Vancouver while I still lived in CA, and when construction was complete I took a quick drive up from the Bay Area to Vancouver, went and saw Luke @ tracker safe, bought my big safe and the following day he delivered, set and bolted the safe. I stuffed as many guns as I could in there and then left the rest that were less valuable scattered around the house.

I agree that you should get a dehumidifier for the safe. They offer them @ tracker. Good guys, good safes, good prices and good people. If you buy it off the showroom floor it will end up costing a couple hundred less than what it shows online.

Many storage facilities have fine print about not allowing firearms. Same with moving companies. In reality it seems to be more "don't ask, don't tell".
[/QUOTE

You are wrong on one detail! Moving companies are aloud to move and store firearms and prior to packing the actions must be comfirmed clear and all serial numbers documented by the driver. No ammo will be transported. Customer is responsible for transporting their own ammo. My wife and I do this for a living.

If it's just a few, why not drive them with you? If it were me, I'd rather have them along. If I needed to fly, check them in according to the regulations. Esp. if it's just a few, pack them unloaded in some pelican cases, (or off brand) toss it in a roof rack or in your own uhaul where you can take them out if you stop over night.

Have a Liberty safe scheduled for delivery by the time you get at the new house.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top