JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I don't have a lot of room in my house. The only storage room I really have, is in the garage. I am worried about temperature though. So I was wondering if building a pantry (basically) and insulating it, would be sufficient enough to ward off the cold and heat? This would be in a detached garage, so it isn't heated, but a separate insulated pantry inside the garage. Would this be sufficient enough? Or does anyone have any suggestions or ideas. Mainly for canned goods, and dry goods. We don't park in the garage so this will be the size of a walk in closet probably. Thanks for the help!

A 40 watt light bulb left on would keep it nice and toasty, without a lot of temperature variation.
Stabilizing the temp swings is whats important for canned goods.
Just seal up the joist cavities with caulking and a good seal on the door should do.
I use an insulation product called Rockwool that is superior to fiberglass in most ways.
It's mainly used in commercial applications and comes in a true 16/24" width for insertion into steel studs.
You can cut it down with a serrated bread knife to fit wood studs. Same cost per sq ft, just need to locate a supplier in your neck of the woods.

So I don't have a lot of room in my house. The only storage room I really have, is in the garage. I am worried about temperature though. So I was wondering if building a pantry (basically) and insulating it, would be sufficient enough to ward off the cold and heat? This would be in a detached garage, so it isn't heated, but a separate insulated pantry inside the garage. Would this be sufficient enough? Or does anyone have any suggestions or ideas. Mainly for canned goods, and dry goods. We don't park in the garage so this will be the size of a walk in closet probably. Thanks for the help!
I have an insulated "Freeze Proof" storage closet in my detached garage. It has one short wall located against an exterior wall and the other is fastened to a roof joist for rigidity inside dimensions are 2'x8'x8' and uses 2x4 framing and thin exterior siding.
The floor, walls and top are all insulated w/3.5" insulation. I built free standing shelvs, like miniature tables that stand on top of each other from 2x4s and OSB sheeting, they measure 2x8 and have a 16" height. they were installed before the double doors which are insulated as well. There is a single 100 watt bulb mounted on the right side of the floor w/ 3" holes drilled in each shelf to allow heat to flow upward. The double doors are hinged with seatbelt webbing screwed in place and are padlocked with a hasp. I store food and paint in this pantry. temps drop below zero every winter but I have yet to lose any canned goods etc.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top