Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Tell the NRA and the Second amendment foundation to support the recalls

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by bolus, May 5, 2015.

1. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

It is clear we are wasting our time sending emails to legislators who have already decided how they are going to vote.

After reading this from the NRA, I dont see any way emails from us are going to change the mind of the governor who already said she is going to sign this bill

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/announcement-from-nra-ila-anybody-reacting-to-this.196939/

So I'd appeal to you guys to tell the NRA and the Second amendment foundation to support the recalls.

We need financial support to make them work. The donations from you guys are helpful, but they are not nearly what we need to pay for signature gatherers and pay for a campaign to get these people out of office. Colorado needed hundreds of thousands of dollars to be successful. Support from the NRA and the second amendment foundation has been ZERO.

The NRA and 2nd amendment foundation are not helping us at all. After multiple calls and emails they have made it clear that they have no interest in helping us. All the while, the opposition is undermining out efforts by making sure signature gathering companies wont work with us.

You are donating to these groups who are simply telling you to email the governor? what did they do for Washington? Nothing!

Tell them to help the people that are trying to derail this. You guys should be seriously rattling their cage. This is why we give them money. Not so they can sit back and let the states plow over us.

AMT, Norm0931, Stomper and 5 others like this.
  2. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

3MTA3 likes this.
  3. Foreverlost

Foreverlost South of LesbianVille, OR. Active Member

This is a reply from the NRA:

Mr. ***********,

Thank you for contacting the NRA-ILA regarding Oregon Senate Bill 941. The NRA-ILA fought to stop this legislation from passing.

Specific action taken by NRA-ILA:

- 2 lobbyists working against the bill meeting with legislators,

- Postcards to Members on the Senate side

- Phone banks on the Senate side

- Testimony from NRA at both hearings. NRA was first to testify in opposition and worked with OFF to set up the panels in opposition which included Sheriffs, gun dealers and county commissioners.

- Statewide postcards to all Oregon NRA members on the house side

- Multiple radio interviews about the bill including talk shows and NRA news

- Phone banks on the house side that included both members and non-members (close to 200,000 phone calls)

- Regular updates to members through ILA alerts

- Calls to action and updates on social media via Facebook and twitter

- Grassroots coordinator discussing the bill at various gun shows and events throughout the state

The NRA-ILA works tirelessly to protect your 2nd Amendment rights and will continue to do so.

Respectfully,

Nick C

4. Foreverlost

To All:

Having watched the ilk of gun control for a few decades, my thoughts.

Organize politically "yesterday". To organize today is too late: get started.
    Build a war chest, $$$$$$
    Have lobbyist(s) on the job in Salem.
    The majority wins! At the state level getting the correct candidate in place is an everyday task, start now.

Years ago factions of the NRA wanted to retreat & circle the wagons at one of their sites in the West, the name escapes me at this moment.

Wiser heads got their act together and stayed to fight gun control in DC. On the national level the NRA has done well. The battles fought and won were battles well chosen and the percentages of winning the battle was high.

I'm getting too old to even care at times, best of luck to the younger generation.

Foreverlost.

5. bolus

Sounds like they did the same thing as in Washington. Clearly this strategy isnt going to work on state level issues. When the next bill hits us will they be doing the same thing? another 200,000 useless phone calls?

we need a different strategy.

BradC likes this.
  6. Foreverlost

bolus,

The majority wins, that is politics. This fact is hard to swallow. Next election is the next chance to become the majority. (Pass pro-gun laws) (repeal crap)

I'm in favor of the recalls, but it alone doesn't change the laws of Oregon. With the correct pro-gun candidate ready and waiting, the likes of Bloomberg's money gets nowhere. The war chest doesn't have to be as large.

Foreverlost,

7. bolus

not sure your point. Do you feel the NRA should not be helping us? Considering the money that they dump into politics we are an ant to them. Or that they did a good job so far

I know this wont change the laws. How many laws do we let them get through before hoping things go right in the next election?

tiggers97 likes this.
  8. Foreverlost

My point:

NRA will pick their battles, what I think matters not. Should the NRA help Oregon, Yes. The question remains, will they & in what way?

bolus, carry on with the recalls; good work so far!

"How many laws do we let them get through.............................................................?" The majority wins and at times it sucks wind. You can quote me on that.

Long time ago the thought of little old me being allowed to pack a concealed handgun was really out of the question, wasn't going to happen no how no way. At last in my home state, I had a concealed permit for two 5 year periods. Thank You NRA & others.

Later my employer thought it might be nice for me to spend some time in Mexafornia. Carry a concealed handgun, no way. A person had to kiss the Sheriff of Orange County's butt or have the correct political connections to get one. From what I gather, the sheriff and his son both have spent time in the federal lock-up and a CHL can be obtained by us poor peasants.

In the above, it took political work. Hint.....................I hate politics at this stage of life. You want change.........................

Foreverlost,

rick benjamin likes this.
  9. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

There are 50 states, each has its 2nd Amendment battles and to take on all 50 would cost far more than the NRA has available and would weasken it which is exactly what Bloomcommie wants.
    They need to concentrate on guarding DC and the National legislation. To bad mouth the NRA is the same as shooting yourself in the head.

If you see a way to get them to a financial level that they can fight in every state against the B-commies money then I want to hear how, and if it happens you can bet they would be here full force.

No one gets that at all. It is time to support the NRA, AND OFF and any other pro gun organization that fights to the level and place they are capable of. NRA is deep in training, Safety, Conservation of hunting, Legislative Actions, and so many good things that to verbally attack them or become so selfish as not to see that is just flat wrong.

Fight the battle you can win and do it well. OFF does it here year after year. Would it be fair to grope them out for not fighting California, or Nevada, Or Washington or ???Laws. Hell no, they do Oregon. NRA does National and assists states when they can.

People need to really get a clue, as no one sure as hell has one now as to what they do and what they have done. Bloomturd loves it when people badmouth the NRA, it is his wet dream.
    Stop helping him !

10. bolus

seriously, why have a NRA rep who is the official "Grassroots Field Coordinator, NRA-ILA Grassroots Division" for the state and give her zero power to do anything that resembles grass roots? Why did I spent my time emailing and calling her multiple times and not even get advice from them. Not even free help. Like a list of people to focus signature gathering on. Like all the people they contact when they need something. All they asked for was what we were doing.

No they dont owe me us, and they can decide our efforts are useless.

We need less than 3 days of LaPierre's salary to run the whole campaign.

Martini_Up, sailorfej and Norm0931 like this.
  11. Hayshaker

Hayshaker Irrigon Active Member

12. Hayshaker

Hayshaker Irrigon Active Member

I haven't supported the NRA for over 20 years. Instead have strongly supported GOA. The NRA has become toooooo political for my $. I think I get more for my $$ from GOA

13. Tenbore

Tenbore Salem New Member

I'm sure glad GOA stopped SB941 from passing.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  14. bolus

guys, these organizations do help and the point of this thread was to not bash them. Yeah, Im upset that no one other than OFF has even lifted a finger to help us.

I just wanted some of the effort that is going to thousands of calls and emails to deaf politicians to go to telling the organizations that represent us to support us little people who are trying something different.

15. Foreverlost

Taku.....................correct 100%. It takes local $$$$$$ spent in Oregon. It takes $$$$$$ spent in DC. And the correct politician in office.

bolus.........go get'em. A successful recall means Bloomberg's money and paid for political slave(s) just went down the toilet. I can hear that sucking sound now.

In the long run, who wants to play defense? Who wants to spend time, money, and effort on recalls. Would that money, etc be better spent on offense? Which political party will support a pro-gun candidate?

Here in this neck of the woods the perfect candidate needs to be able to smile, lie, and promise "A Marijuana Shoppe on Every Block" for the People's Republic of Eugene. This is what it would take to unseat John Lively.

Foreverlost,

Caveman Jim and U201491 like this.
  16. tiggers97

tiggers97 United States Well-Known Member

I'm mixed on this. I do get that the NRA seems to be more focused east of the Rockies, and they do a great job at the federal level, and am grateful for it. But in a way I do feel let down at the state/local level. If they did do all those things, and do them well, good for them. I'm in a better mood. But I hardly every saw the NRA short of the testimony, a postcard or two in the mail, and the occasional email alert.

But where were the requests for help? Just on this one forum alone I see lots of bright, motivated people who care passionately. I know that for everyone posting, there are 10 lurkers who probably also feel just as passionate about it, but don't know what do to or how to get involved. It's that frustration that probably leads them to want to leave the state after a defeat like SB941.

I just think we need an injection here of a different kind. Can the NRA be willing to help with that?

How about offering grass-roots organization classes? Helping people organize, connect, pool resources, or trade talents? Train leaders and followers. Or how to organize workshops and strategy sessions (web-ex anyone?) How to lobby our representatives directly, or get the most out of townhalls? Are these things the NRA can help coordinate or sponsor as well? Heck, I've come up with analysis that I submitted for testimony (all 54 pages of it!) that I haven't heard anyplace else. I've shared some of it here, but it could use a peer review and distribution. How do I get it properly reviewed and distributed to start education the public to counter the the garbage Everytown is promoting?

And the best thing is, beyond the $ for the classrooms and any hired trainers, a lot of people (myself included) would be willing to do it for free! (its my new hobby :) ) I AM determined to make Oregon a better state for myself and my family!

SB941 may have been a big setback, and I'm betting many of the politicians are thinking "whew, glad that's behind me". But we should still be applying the pressure. But instead of saying "don't vote for this", now telling them "why did you vote for this?" or "fix it!"!

Ok.... Rant off :D

dlurvey and hollowbase like this.
  17. tiggers97

tiggers97 United States Well-Known Member

Ok, one more trailing rant. this below is what I am talking about getting help on, or getting the larger 2nd amendment groups involved: It burns me up to know that Ceasefire is basically taking all the Eddie Eagle type stuff, repackaging it, and selling it as their own "we care for the children". And all they do is build direct public relations and get people to give ceasefire name-brand recognition as a 'reasonable' organization.

https://www.facebook.com/SafeKidsPo...7561496123903/858845024188903/?type=1&theater
    I realize I'm starting to thread-jack, so I hope you accept this thread bump as an apology.

18. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

Taku, Keely has said flat out the only help she will provide is "referring people that ask her to our website." I know you think I am pissed at the NRA because I'm some sort of Bloomberg plant (which makes no sense considering we are running an anti-bloomberg candidate recall), but they really are refusing to help us.

And to "having enough money to defeat Bloomberg," lets compare bank accounts. Bloomberg vs NRA or Bloomberg vs Bolus, B5Ben, and myself...

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    sailorfej likes this.
  19. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Just so you all understand something, the Second Amendment Foundation cannot, by law, campaign for or against any individual candidate. I don't know where people got the idea SAF could do this, but it has never done this nor has it ever been able to do this.

SAF is a tax-exempt education, research, publishing and (most importantly) LEGAL ACTION group.

Who did you e-mail at the Second Amendment Foundation? I certainly wasn't me.

20. bolus

There were several articles early on with Gottlieb saying they were supporting us (which was news to me) though they were further clarified.

http://www.thegunmag.com/recall-efforts-launched-against-three-oregon-lawmakers/

We called him and the answer was no support. If you legally cant that's fine. Your post is the first time Im hearing that you cant legally help us. That would have been nice to know a month ago.

OFF probably cant legally support one candidate or another, but Kevin has been providing a ton of advice and help to us.