JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like that it's piston and has adjustable gas regulator.
On the Ruger site, there were some posts about inconsistencies early on. Some were production issues, some accuracy issues. But Ruger took care of those owners and those reports seem to have faded months ago.
So I'd feel pretty confident now, but you might check the serial number to learn the production date.
Wish they weren't so dang expensive!

I like that it's piston and has adjustable gas regulator.
On the Ruger site, there were some posts about inconsistencies early on. Some were production issues, some accuracy issues. But Ruger took care of those owners and those reports seem to have faded months ago.
So I'd feel pretty confident now, but you might check the serial number to learn the production date.
Wish they weren't so dang expensive!

You're right on the cost.

I can't speak to the 762, but I can to the 556, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I wanted a piston gun and selected it after a lot of research. My only issue is that it is not a lightweight gun to be sure. But accurate, reliable and very well built. Expensive yes, but I think they're worth the $$.

My 2 cents.

Well, PWS is another piston AR. They went with a long-stroke piston instead of a short-stroke one. The mod 1 has an adjustable gas system and free float rail, mod 0 doesn't.

There's other options too, such as the Sig 716, POF P308, etc. Piston ARs aren't cheap though...

I was having a buying frenzy but I didn't really want another AR in 556.I did want to try a 308 AR though.
So I bought it. It did fine with open sights and my old eyes.I will probably find an optic for it.Something like the Vortex strikefire? I tried it with HMS ammo. At 25 yards to see if it was close to being sighted in,It was pretty much 1 hole.Then at 100,again with my old eyes I got around 4 inches,with the front sight covering most of the diamond.
So I figure it's shooting well enough to invest more into it.And if I decide to use it for coyotes or such,I'll try some hunting ammo in it
Thanks for the responses
Mike

Grats. Personally I went with a Bushnell Elite Tactical (I hate the name tbh) on my PWS, but the optic you go with should be based on what you want to do with the rifle.

I'm not much of a semi auto hunting kinda guy,so I'm thinking the optic would be for CQB to 300 yard range. But my open sight CETME is for close range ,so 200-300 yard type sight
Low power to 6X? About the same as I will put on my 308 bolt gun as I am not a long range deer hunter either. I have a 7mm to reach out any further
I guess this will be a mid range gun

1-4 scope would be more than you need if you don't plan on shooting past 300 yards. A fixed 3 power also works, but 25 yards and closer is less than ideal with that.

I'm not much of a semi auto hunting kinda guy,so I'm thinking the optic would be for CQB to 300 yard range. But my open sight CETME is for close range ,so 200-300 yard type sight
Low power to 6X? About the same as I will put on my 308 bolt gun as I am not a long range deer hunter either. I have a 7mm to reach out any further
I guess this will be a mid range gun

For that use a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33mm Illuminated BDC Ballistic FireDot Reticle scope would be a great fit. It has a nice 30mm tube, and features a BDC reticle with Leupold's great FireDot illuminated dot in the center of the crosshair. Nice 1/4 MOA adjustments. Very fast handling for close range, with the ballistic holdover points for helping with shooting at long range. And 2-7x is a very useful magnification range.

The scope is quite lightweight too, very bright and clear, with good eye relief.

B&H Photo is discounting it all the way down to only $399.99 currently. That is a killer of a price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1037967-REG/leupold_111233_vx_r_2_7x33_firedot_ballistic.html

1396544795000_1037967.jpg

1396544795000_1037967.jpg

Yes,yes yes,my friend has the high dollar version of this.Or he paid $$$ for it.
Very nice,he bought it for his 308 hunting rifle.His was closer to $700? I believe.
https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/vx-r-1-25-4x20mm/
_VXR_1_25-4x20_web-530x137.jpg
I bought a Nikon Pro staff 3X9 for it for now.That will probably make it to a 22 or a 17 in the near future
That luppy is what I will probably end up with.Or 2 with the second going on my little 308 hunting rifle

_VXR_1_25-4x20_web-530x137.jpg

Yes,yes yes,my friend has the high dollar version of this.Or he paid $$$ for it.
Very nice,he bought it for his 308 hunting rifle.His was closer to $700? I believe.
https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/vx-r-1-25-4x20mm/

No, this scope that I linked to is the exact same Leupold VX-R series that your friend has. Your friend just bought the 1-4x model, while I got the 2-7x version. They sell for the exact same price. I opted to get this 2-7x model because:

1) I felt that 2x was sufficiently low enough magnification for close-in shooting

2) Having 7x instead of only 4x available for long distance shooting is something that I would really appreciate .

3) This model has a ballistic plex in the reticle, while the 1-4x does not. That gives it another edge for long distance shooting, in my opinion.

4) This 2-7x model is also still lightweight. That 1-4x model weighs only 11.5 oz, but this model still only weighs 12.7 oz, barely over an oz more. Going up to higher magnification Leupolds then starts to add significantly more weight. And that was something that I did not want to do on a rifle that was already a bit heavy anyway.

Leupold's FireDot Illuminated Dot that is in these scopes is really quite awesome. Extremely easy to operate and use.

The suggested retail price for both of these scopes is $625. It sounds like your friend must have paid close to MSRP. Typically one can find this scope discounted down to $499.99 at some discount retailers like OpticsPlanet.com

But I discovered quite a secret two years. The same excellent photo gear retailer that I buy all of my camera gear from, B&H Photo, also sells sporting optics. And they easily have the best prices that I've ever seen for Leupold scopes. So while I only paid $400 for my scope from B&H Photo, the exact same Leupold sells for $500 at OpticsPlanet, and $550 at SWFA.

So I got the scope a full 20% below the price from a discount retailer, and a whopping 36% below MSRP.

If anyone does not believe me, just go and compare the price for my scope between these retailers.

I never would have thought to buy a scope from a camera store. But if you ever want to buy a Leupold, I would definitely suggest that you check how much the scope that you want is priced at B&H Photo. You might find that you can save yourself some money, just like I did.

Last Edited:

I almost bought one of those at a gun show recently... But I got a taste of the FFP scope game and can't leave it when it comes to .308 semi-autos. I'm trapped in the FFP realm. :(

Good going with the Nikon. They make good entry level/budget scopes. Though, personally, I never see the point of a BDC in a SFP scope. Defeats the purpose since its really only useful at a specific magnification. FFP and fixed power are where its at for BDCs IMO.

Last Edited:
You want to send me one?

I almost bought one of those at a gun show recently... But I got a taste of the FFP scope game and can't leave it when it comes to .308 semi-autos. I'm trapped in the FFP realm. :(

Good going with the Nikon. They make good entry level/budget scopes. Though, personally, I never see the point of a BDC in a SFP scope. Defeats the purpose since its really only useful at a specific magnification. FFP and fixed power are where its at for BDCs IMO.
I figured I would give it a try. Mostly just a good scope for the money
But I was shooting out further and realized this may be a fairly accurate gun so I decided to go with a higher powered scope instead of the close in scope option. Doesn't mean I won't change it around,lol
This one can still go on my M70 308

You want to send me one?

I figured I would give it a try. Mostly just a good scope for the money
But I was shooting out further and realized this may be a fairly accurate gun so I decided to go with a higher powered scope instead of the close in scope option. Doesn't mean I won't change it around,lol
This one can still go on my M70 308

Don't get me wrong, its a good scope for the money. Just saying that I don't see why Nikon put in a BDC is all. I used Nikon scopes before, I generally view them as entry level scopes since they're what got me into using scopes in the first place.

But if you intend to replace it later one and want a BDC or rangefinder reticle, look for a FFP scope. Budget options for FFP scopes tend to be in the $700-$900 area but there are cheaper ones. Otherwise you lose nothing by going with SFP, for the most part.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top