JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm wanting to get into reloading soon, and I have a rain check for this kit, and with the rebates going on right now, it seems a good time. I'd like to load for the M1 that's coming soon, and I have the specs for M1 loads.

So, how do you like the RCBS Rock Chucker? Seems like there's nary a single bad review of the thing. Also, I'm interested in their X-Dies. Does anyone use them?

I bought one, master reloading kit, about 2 years ago and really like it. It's great for accuracy loads but not for quantity. I really don't like the scale that comes with the kit but I use it since an electronic scale isn't at the top of my list. I would recommend spending at least $150 for an electronic scale. That's my only dislike. If you're going to reload for quantity, get a progressive reloader.

For quantity, it's way cheaper for me to just buy 7.62x39 ammo. This press will be used for loading .30-06 for my Garand. I'm hoping to shoot in some Garand matches as my shooting skills improve.

Besides, even if I wanted to do other loads, I'm not concerned with being able to crank out mass quantities at this point.

I cut my teeth reloading with that same kit. Although I now use a Dillon 650 for pistol rounds, I still use the RCBS for loading .308 rounds after weighing each individual charge. Sure, it's time-consuming, but accuracy definitely improves with the consistency that you just cant get with a progressive press.

Ordinarily I am not a big fan of "kits" due to the fact that my reloading on a single stage has evolved to a high level of precision. "Kits" don't always offer the best items for each task, they merely include the best items that are made by the company offering the Kit.

That said, the core of this kit is the Rock Chucker. A great press over the years and still is among the most durable. The rest of the "accessories" are quality as well although the current production 5-0-5 scale isn't the same quality as the old ones like I have that were made by Ohaus. In time you will want something better and probably an electronic. I added a Dillon D-Terminator to my bench to supplement my old Ohaus built 5-0-5.

The area to pay close attention is now dies. For your Garand just about anything will work from Lee to Forster or Redding. Lee dies are a little rough on the polish with Redding and Forster far nicer. RCBS is in the middle. Spend a twenty dollar bill and buy the Hornady LnL conversion kit for the Rock Chucker. This will allow you to leave all your dies set up in quick change bushings. Saves time like you wouldn't believe. The bushings are so quick and easy they make a single stage press perform almost as fast as a turret press.

Also, down the road, as things break, you will look to more qualitiy items. A Hornady Hand Pirming tool is far easier and more durable. Saturn Funnels are "caliber specific" and don't fall off the case while pouring powder in. Also metal and don't build up static.

Lastly, the Uniflow powder measure is a good measure but not for long extruded powders like the 30-06 performs best with. When the budget will allow, get an RCBS Chargemaster. It doesn't care what the powder looks like, it just dispenses it onto an electronic scale (built in) and stops when the proper charge is reached. Does this while you're seating a bullet and measuring the finished round.

Back to the original question, the RCBS Supreme Master Reloading Kit is a good start.

Jeff-

I agree with the above post concerning the LnL conversion kit. I've got one on my RCII and it's a no-brainer...especially if your only press is a single stage press.

I bought the RCBS X-die for reloading for my .308 Garand. I haven't completely run through the initial batch of trimmed cases yet, so I can't provide any personal experience on them eliminating the need to re-trim your cases; however, the comments I've read on those with several firings on their cases have confirmed what the RCBS literature says; i.e. the cases will grow a few thousandths, then stabilize below the max case length. After my first bout trimming 500 .308 cases...I'm willing to try anything that will eliminate that chore. You can borrow my trimmer (Redding 2400) for your first batch of brass and decide for yourself if it's worth eliminating that step after every other firing.

I have an automatic powder dispenser, but what I'd recommend in the beginning is to set your powder measure to dispense an amount slightly less than what you're aiming for, throw the charge and use a trickler to precisely get the powder charge you're after. If your reloading 30-06, you'll be throwing charges greater than 40 grains, so +/- a couple tenths of a grain won't matter much unless you're near max load...your powder measure may work fine without the need to trickle.

Let's get together soon and run a batch of .308.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top