JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend wanted me to look some information up (mostly prices) but a little detail on one of his guns.

He knows nothing about guns in general and is using me basically to fuel his knowledge.

I have:
Savage Sporter
Marked 32-20 on the side
Has a serial Number: 95***
No magazine as of right now. He claims to have a box around with a bunch of misc gun parts in it.

I have looked around and have seen prices from $175 to $900 on these guns.
There is NO sub model, like 23c etc. It just says "Savage Sporter" on the top of the barrel and is stamped 32-20 opposite of bolt.

You will find his in the classifieds soon. I'm sure of it.

Gun is in "ok" condition. Obviously needs some attention, It has been neglected for years.... maybe even decades.

(sorry photos were deleted from server)

I'm thinking of buying it from him for $75 as a safe item. I know it needs some work to be ready to shoot again... clean, clean, and clean some more. It's nasty dirty from closet dust.

It indeed, as you suspected is a 23C. Manuf: 1923-1942. From your pictures, it seems to be all (or nearly all) original, and that is a plus. Lack of a clip is a negative. (You might find one, but you may pay $75 or more). A Hornet or .25-20 clip (they are marked on the base plate) might work, or be modified to work, but would still detract from value. Too many of these rifles suffered from being drilled on the left side for a side scope mount, and if not from the factory, this is also a negative.

At $75, even without the clip, you would have a good gun that with cleaning, should shoot very well. My old 23D (Hornet) is superbly accurate, and even outshoots a buddy's heavy-barreled Ruger 77 Hornet. Flabbergasted us both. Savage's reputation for good barrels, which holds to this day, actually began with these rifles (and the venerable 99's of the same era).

With an original clip, and if the gun is all original as it appears here, your friend might ask more than $75. If you are not interested, I am. (even without the clip, I would offer more). A mint condition specimen might bring nearly 300 or more from a collector. Of course, this one is not mint, and any offer I made would be contingent on seeing the gun first hand.

Be very careful about how much you "clean" it. Evidence of steel wool scoring on the metal (to remove rust spots) would detract from value. Proper scrubbing of the bore would be prudent, as well as careful cleaning of the interior.

I appreciate the information.

As to a cleaning... i would NEVER use anything abrasive. I've seen too many guns that were 'cleaned' in that fashion. I considered a cleaning as disassembling the stock from barrel, wiping down with some hoppes and letting it all just sit on it for a week or so. Not really a lot that I can do with something of that age. Would be cool to have it blued but then again, the pitting from neglect saddens me.

I'm really hoping to find the magazine today. That would be awesome.

I'll let ya know later on what the status is on it. I'll post some better photos of after a light cleaning.

I also own a Savage model 23 in 32-20. Mine is a fine shooter and I still have a clip. The clip by the way is almost as valuable as the firearm. Very rare. expect to pay 60 to 100 dollars for one if your lucky enough to find one actually for sale. They were common back in the 30's when my grandfather bought his brand new. He poached many deer with it back then and fed the family with it during the depression. Makes a find poachers gun as it's a low recoil and not too noisy. It worth finding the clip if he ever had one. Tear the house apart looking for it because its hard to shoot without it. I was lucky enough to find my rifle at a gun show for 125 dollars in so so condition. Bore is fine and it shoots good so I'm not whining.

I also own a Savage model 23 in 32-20. Mine is a fine shooter and I still have a clip. The clip by the way is almost as valuable as the firearm. Very rare. expect to pay 60 to 100 dollars for one if your lucky enough to find one actually for sale. They were common back in the 30's when my grandfather bought his brand new. He poached many deer with it back then and fed the family with it during the depression. Makes a find poachers gun as it's a low recoil and not too noisy. It worth finding the clip if he ever had one. Tear the house apart looking for it because its hard to shoot without it. I was lucky enough to find my rifle at a gun show for 125 dollars in so so condition. Bore is fine and it shoots good so I'm not whining.

I had this rifle, then gave it to my brother, which he then sold.. But was rooting around in an old ammo box I have and found that I still have three of the clips for the Sporter. Not sure the best way to get the word out about my find, so I figured I would start on one of these threads. Any advise would be appreciated..

IMG_0103.jpg

Hello, I am interested in the magazines for the savage sporter 32-20.

Depend on price I may buy all three I have an older savage sporter 32-20 no model number on it that I currently do not have a magazine for and am interested in the ones you have.

My name is Jon 518-222-5035, thank you

I would recommend you sell only one magazine per customer. They are extremely rare and worth close to 100 dollars each. Anyone with a 23C and no magazine would pay that because they are almost impossible to find. I have one with my firearm and would certainly love to have more but would rather see you sell them to someone that actually needs (one)

eBay has an original one up for sale at $65.00 starting bid and no takers so far with one day to go.

I looked on eBay and I don't see it? I see the later model ones on eBay for that price but I don't see the earlier model clips like the one I need same as the picture in Mwest posting above?

All of those are the later square ones. The early rounded front ones are premium. Impossible to find. Someone that doesn't have one will pay 100 dollars for one.

Numrich Gun Parts shows one for sale. Most likely an aftermarket magazine.

View attachment 289102
SAVAGE SPORTER 23B LATE, SPORTER 23C LATE 197570 Magazine, .25-20 & .32-20, 5 Round $35.05 Buy Now
I already tried that one I've already done my research it is not the correct magazine needs to be the one in the picture under MWest name above which is a different magazine than the one that you're showing me.

And I've seen them for less than 100 they're just not in stock

Numrich Gun Parts shows one for sale. Most likely an aftermarket magazine.

View attachment 289102
SAVAGE SPORTER 23B LATE, SPORTER 23C LATE 197570 Magazine, .25-20 & .32-20, 5 Round $35.05 Buy Now

I appreciate you trying to help though but this is one of the older savage orders which need the clip that has the rounded front on it.

I am going to use the gun as a nighttime varmint gun and I really just need to get one clip so I can have more than one shop

Thanks for trying

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top