JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just inherited this gun from my late uncle, who got it from his dad. It is a Smith and Wesson .44 Special. The serial # on the frame under the cylinder does not match the one on the bottom of the grip. It locks up tight and functions well. About 3 years ago the cardboard box it was stored in got wet due to a house fire and my uncle's homeowners insurance paid to have a gunsmith reblue it, so I am assuming it no longer has any collector value. It has not been fired since. Is this gun a "Hand Ejector 2nd model?" And does that make it an "N" frame? I want to buy some better grips for it and shoot it, but I dont know where to look. Are these guns well made and robust enough to use +p ammo? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

53D7FD8E-4874-40F6-90C0-42153C27B3E1.jpeg 032D06ED-DDD8-4884-990B-8243D52735FF.jpeg

Very Nice. I am not an expert, but, Yes it is an N frame in size. Though modern N frame grips will not fit it. I modified a pair of K frame grips to fit mine and will post a picture later. On these old Smiths the number on the frame under the crane is an assembly number not the serial number. The one on the butt is correct. The cylinder and barrel may also have the serial number stamped on them. Stiff .44 special loads yes, but in moderation. If pre WWI it will not have a heat treated cylinder. Remember it is a hundred year old. Elmer Keith used these at .44 magnum pressures . But admits he worn out and broke them in the process. I routinely use loads in the 21,000 psi range in mine.

Check here for identification. If you choose to register and post question the folks here are friendly and helpful.
S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews