JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
the thing is a lot of these shelter options and ideas are made for backpacking and work awesome for that purpose. But we have to remember not to take the subject at hand out of context here, survival in a bugging out (or getting home) situation. Once you get past a simple tarp shelter, its no longer practical to carry all that weight in a GHB or BOB. That might be subjective though...

ideally, for a temporary emergency situation, I would limit my shelter options to 1lb per person. Typically a simple sil nylon tarp shelter easily fits that category. This gives me more room in the pack for a warm clothing layer or food, water which will be more valuable in the situation.

Other thing to consider is durability and "stealthiness" of the material. Ripstop used to sell multicam silnylon, but they do offer other camo materials in silicon impregnanted polyester, which has the benefit of not stretching like nylon, some people are big on that. I have some fabric from them in A-TACS Foliage/green, in 1.9oz weight, with heavier Polyurethane coating, I haven't figured what shelter or tarp to make from it yet... 5 yards, but it weights about 1.5 lbs without seams/tapes, so that fabric is on the heavy side, however it is the same weight fabric as the 10x10 coyote tarp I have, and that one rolls tightly into the size of a nalgene bottle, so a bottle pocket serves a great purpose to carry the tarp, leaving more room in the pack for more food, or more clothing.

Poncho tarp setup over USGI Goretex bivy; "tunnel" shape for the green poncho tarp.

7x9 tarp I think, folded in half, and with USGI bivy as bag cover.

same 7x9 tarp but setup half pyramid over a blue 5x7 tarp, tied to branch of douglas fir tree in yard ; this would be ideal for bivy shelter, as it provides a LOT of room for cooking, changing clothes, et cetera.

View attachment 348923 View attachment 348924 View attachment 348925 View attachment 348926 View attachment 348927 View attachment 348929 View attachment 348930 View attachment 348931

I like your setup here I think I need to get a bigger tarp like yours. I have a 5x8 Integral Designs silnylon but thats not big enough for me to crawl inside. Ive used it with a bivy sac (which is why I find bivy sacs impractical, for the same weight I could take my full size fully enclosed tarp tent for 2)

tarp_20170312_12:54:36.jpg

I'm just a 2x tarp guy with some paracord. (I'm cheap but it can be used in a ton of ways)

Cut a couple sticks if you need poles and learn some useful knots that you won't forget how to tie.

The above examples are great:cool:.

Build it up and make a fire next too it if you need more heat then your clothes and sleeping bag.

I still use my Gortex Bivy sack and two poncho liners that followed me home after I was in the army.
This works well in the summer / early fall ... But in winter / early spring :
Travel light ... freeze at night as we used to say.
I'm not saying not to get one ... Just use it smartly and remember that not one system is best for everything.
Andy

Sleeping good in the woods; who ever heard of such a thing? :D

If sleeping good or living in the woods is a goal; bring everything you can carry.
A 5x7 tarp (or poncho) and a poncho liner may be enough if a person spends most of the time hunting, patrolling, or simply walking.

A surplus bivy sack and a cho liner!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top