JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good job by that young man! So glad he and his mom are uninjured! Also, pretty happy that another menace to society dosent need another trial.

Happy the Mom and kid are ok here but hopefully the mom knows enough to get the kid into some trauma counseling. 18 and shooting a guy that has lived with you and fathered a couple siblings is not going to be an easy thing for a young man to just get over. He did what was needed and I hope his mom is there for him as he was for her.

I'm guessing the kid knew it was going to come to this and was partially prepared for it.Or as much as a human being can be.
Probably a lot harder at 18 than a kid should have to be.
Hope he does OK

I'm guessing the kid knew it was going to come to this and was partially prepared for it.Or as much as a human being can be.
Probably a lot harder at 18 than a kid should have to be.
Hope he does OK

I am guessing you are right since he had the gun and knew how to use it as he did. Still is a harsh harsh life to have a mom you have to protect by killing someone at that age. When I was 18 getting drunk was my biggest worry. I feel bad for all the kids since that kind of screwed up childhood leads to a troubled adult life if he does nothing to help himself...guessing the mom is not up for making sure he is mentally stable. That is a lot on that kids shoulders. Could go either way and turn into a hardened man or a crazy punk.

40cal . . . Be very careful with that argument. You are playing into the hands of the anti-2nd amendment crowd who would like to use a "traumatic" experience to justify denying his gun ownership rights!!!

Sheldon

Well yea, it is hard on a young kid, or anyone, but the kid stepped up when he needed to and got the job done. My money is on the kid coming to grips with it and making something out of himself.

Last Edited:
That's not a child. That's a man. Age does not define your maturity. Any person that would step up and do what needs to be done is a man. It's no more traumatic for him than it would have been for a 30 year old, 40 year old, or older to have done. It's all based on your perspective. The man was an abuser. His actions lead to his demise; no need to feel bad about putting a rabid animal down.

I think he'll be fine. Thousands of young men have had to kill for a lot less of a personal reason - and they came out of it normal and made good lives for themselves. At 18 this young man could've already been off in some third world shathole of a country killing people in the name of the "war on terror" - this incident he was actually protecting his own flesh and blood from a violent would-be killer.

While I feel bad that he's had to go through this - I have a feeling this young man will be fine in the long run.

40cal . . . Be very careful with that argument. You are playing into the hands of the anti-2nd amendment crowd who would like to use a "traumatic" experience to justify denying his gun ownership rights!!!

Sheldon

No argument. Just know a lot of kids from screwed up childhoods and hope the best for this one. If someone tries to use his horrible situation to discuss gun ownership against someone like that then they have a very twisted grip on what happened and reality in general. I know he did the right thing and without the gun he could not have.
I see what you are saying with the anti gun nuts but if all they have to go on is me saying or someone else saying I hope the kid copes with this ok they are already grasping for air and running out. This was clear self defense and to use it as ammo against you and I would make them look like the criminals. I just as a fellow "protective" person know that it takes some age and wisdom to come to terms with some things you have to do or have already done to keep those you love safe. Nobody should have to be in that situation at 18 but he did what he should have and the outcome however bad it may sound is better for him and his family in the long run.
If someone argues that then they are more loony than this kid will ever be. I simply say I hope he gets a little help because with the mess of a childhood and this trauma anyone could use it...even if this had not happened a step dad like that would make me think the kid could use talking to someone not jacked up and brainwashed. I think this event may even help him cope after years of watching abuse and probably being abused but obviously his family is not really there for him to talk about it in a healthy way as one would hope.

That's not a child. That's a man. Age does not define your maturity. Any person that would step up and do what needs to be done is a man. It's no more traumatic for him than it would have been for a 30 year old, 40 year old, or older to have done. It's all based on your perspective. The man was an abuser. His actions lead to his demise; no need to feel bad about putting a rabid animal down.

I agree and also disagree....I think. Age does not define maturity always but it does define wisdom and clarity. When I was 18 I knew everything. Suddenly many years later I know I do not have a clue about a lot of things. Odd how that works.

Reminds me of what Mark Twain wrote about. How he was amazed at how much smarter his dad became from the time Mark was 21 to his 27th birthday.

I agree and also disagree....I think. Age does not define maturity always but it does define wisdom and clarity. When I was 18 I knew everything. Suddenly many years later I know I do not have a clue about a lot of things. Odd how that works.

Depends upon the person. I think someone who can step up and do something like that will turn out just fine. He defended his mother and himself. No reason to feel bad, or torment himself over it.

Dornai, yes, there is no logical reason to "feel bad, or torment himself over it". But human nature, being what it is, will have most people to still go through a process that starts out with us taking blame until we work through it to come to grips.

Not knowing whether his (the survivor) own shot, or the suspect's shot was the fatal shot does not help either, if anything, it might cause more "soul searching".

Right, wrong, or indifferent, it takes time to work through the process, but it never truly goes away, you learn to live with it.

And I whole heartedly agree with you.....this kid's going to turn out to be just fine.

Last Edited:
Dornai, yes, there is no logical reason to "feel bad, or torment himself over it". But human nature, being what it is, will have most people to still go through a process that starts out with us taking blame until we work through it to come to grips.

Not knowing whether his (the survivor) own shot, or the suspect's shot was the fatal shot does not help either, if anything, it might cause more "soul searching".

Right, wrong, or indifferent, it takes time to work through the process, but it never truly goes away, you learn to live with it.

And I whole heartedly agree with you.....this kid's going to turn out to be just fine.
Well never having killed another human being,I can't say how he will turn out
Everybody is different,correct. Doesn't mean they will deal with killing another human without regard.

Having lived in Tacoma/Lakewood area I saw many guys come back with different ideas on killing.
Some said hagie died and others didn't want to talk about it
Viet Nam guy were the same

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews