JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dad should be clear, it is covered in Federal Law..

Gun Control act of 1968, 18USC, Chapter 44.

18 U.S.C 922(x)
(x)(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a Juvenile- a handgun, or ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun....
...(3)This subsection does not apply to-
......(D) the possession of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile taken in defense of the juvenile or other persons agains an intruder into the residence of the juvenile or a residence in which the juvenile is an invited guest.

Thanks Tony,
I only knew it because the pamphlet was handed to me when I recieved my CPL 2 mos ago.. It was still in my desk drawer. I did not know about provision D until I pulled it out and started reading after this incident.

I am currently evaluating my oldest and thinking about giving him the code for the lockbox. He can handle the weapon just fine, just concerned about handling the situation safely. Plus I currently ccw my only weapon, so he would have nothing to reach for anyway if I was not home, and no need to if I am...

Thanks Tony,
I only knew it because the pamphlet was handed to me when I recieved my CPL 2 mos ago.. It was still in my desk drawer. I did not know about provision D until I pulled it out and started reading after this incident.

I am currently evaluating my oldest and thinking about giving him the code for the lockbox. He can handle the weapon just fine, just concerned about handling the situation safely. Plus I currently ccw my only weapon, so he would have nothing to reach for anyway if I was not home, and no need to if I am...

Purchase a .22 to practice with. A .22 is better than nothing, and is a super practice weapon. If you oldest knows how to use a firearm safely, and knows exactly why and where it is...(that is, it doesn't come out unless the situation demands it, or you are with him/her) you can cover two things with one inexpensive weapon.

I had my own .22 when I was 12 (pre the 1968 garbage), and never misused it. (I had learned the safe use and care of firearms long before that) All 5 of my daughters were safe and proficent with a .22 (doesn't have to be a pistol to be effective) by the time they were 6. When it is necessary, there is no reason for the young to go run and hide if they don't have to.

Just like every child should know how (and when) to call 911, they should also know what a firearm is ultimately good for, and how and when it is necessary. That is protecting themselves.

He knows how to shoot and handle my weapon safely, I have taken him out a few times and we are already planning more trips.
But doing so under duress while trying to also get his brother into a safe location and not hurt himself or his brother is another issue.
Due to house layout, he will not have time to get do much and may not be able to get to his little brother AND a weapon. Tactics are not something basic and simple to teach a 15yr old, so I am working out a plan to cover different contingencies.

For now unfortunately I only have one handgun and I carry it, so it is a bit of a non issue, but I hope to correct that soon.

I myself was put into nra marksmanship by my dad (Then a LOE) when I was around 10/11and also knew how to handle safely. Living in a farm area I had open Access to his Marlin 980 22wmr. I have been trying to find a course here in WA, but the only thing I see for kids is hunter's Ed, we have no interest in hunting so that is a bit pointless to go thru all the hunting info for the little little bit of safety. I may end up paying for private course, but still hoping to find a kids safety marksmanship course someplace.

Interesting point about the 22. We all know any gun can be lethal, but I wonder if the sounds of the 22 would be enough to have badguys hi-tail it, if hit or not? unless you hit a nervous system critical point the 22 I worry is not going to impart enough force/dmg to have someone stop advancing or even realise they are hit? Then there is getting out out of the safe tucked in the closet, but it would be better than nothing.

I have a old 22short pump, but am also thinking about a 10/22 or 597 to get both kids out more. If they ever needed to use it, I would rather them have a semi and not have to think about racking a pump or bolt. hrmm or maybe a nice 9mm carbine...

Good Info Harmannr, thanks.

most burglers are chickens...not all..just most. If you look at the stats it's something like 55% run at the first sight of a person that can obviously defend themselves. I think, at least for now, your old 22 pump would serve just fine. Should the BG decide to stand and fight rather than run,,,,Even with just a .22 short, (shot placement is everything) we have slaughtered a lot of 1000 lb+ cattle with a .22 short.

Wow, my compliments to the boy.

Rushing the kids upstairs AND hitting the mark from the top of a set of stairs! Awesome stuff.

It makes me sad that 14 year old boys have to do something like this at all, but my goodness well done.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top