JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I see that she compete's in 3 position on Monday, the eighth.
I wish they'd televise that! Definitely not holding my breath!

Again, best of luck, Ginny!:)

No, they won't televise it. That would risk the possibility of showing the shooting sports and by default, the tools they use, in a positive light.

It is really a feather in her hat beating out not one but two shooters out of the country that has over 20% of the world's population vs US with .06% of the world's population.

Recheck your numbers. The US has 300,000,000 people of a world population of 8 billion. Thats 4% ish. The Chinese are around 17%.

Here are some more photos of Ginny in competition at the Olympics and here in the USA:

She looks like she was taking the Air Rifle final event most seriously. Look at that determination on her face. No wonder she won.

GettyImages-586843490.0.jpg

mw1r2016c011.jpg

A smile after hitting the tiny bullseye:

CdYa-75WIAEmMFv.jpg

Here she is with her centerfire target rifle:

ginny-thrasher7-by-dale-sparks.jpg

NOTE: Although it remains an ISU event, the Olympics discontinued the 300 Meter 3 position Centerfire Rifle event at the 1976 Olympics. Other nations complained that it was an unfair event, since large caliber rifles are strictly controlled in many nations. The USA and Russia often dominated the event with their military shooters. The great USA marksman Lones Wigger won the last Olympics 300 Meter 3 position competition at the 1972 Munich Olympics.

During the Awards Ceremony, as she prepares for the raising of the US flag. She sang the national anthem during the ceremony.

CpR9Eb1UMAAjaR5.jpg

Close-up of her Gold Medal:

11238295_G.png

Last Edited:
Here is Ginny with the rest of the West Virginia University Shooting Team, that won the the NCAA National Team Shooting Championship this year. She is the only woman on the team.

Since she won two individual Championships for herself at the NCAA tournament, the team chose her to raise the team trophy:

16%20ACTION47.jpg

'snot a centre-fire- that's the barrel shroud you are looking at - it allows the bullet/pellet to leave the muzzle into still air. Most all modern .22 and air target rifles have that kind of muzzle.

tac

There is no way that is a pellet rifle. It looks nothing at all like the air rifle that she has been shown competing with. Nor does it look anything at all like her smallbore rifle either. And there is no air reservoir anywhere on the rifle, so it is definitely not an air rifle.

And that barrel shroud is clearly to allow mounting a front sight. It looks like the exact same material and color as the rear sight's mount.

The large size of the action clearly identifies it as been a center fire. No .22 LR would ever have an action that massive in size.

It definitely looks like a custom 300 m 3 position competition rifle to me.

Last Edited:
Here is some old movietone newsreel footage of my late cousin Gloria Jacobs, when she won the World Indoor Pistol Championship in San Francisco back in 1940, competing against a field of men when she was only 17 years old. Not only did she win the tournament, but she also set a new world record for indoor pistol at the time.

Note: Back in 1940, International indoor pistol was entirely a slow fire course, and was shot with 22 LR revolvers.

The police officer that you see standing near her at the end of the footage, next to all of her trophies and medals, was her father ( and my Dad's uncle ), Captain Henry Jacobs of the California Highway Patrol. Her Dad gave her a 22 LR rifle for her 10th birthday. She was so uncanny shooting rats and squirrels on their property, that he then started to take her with him when he went to the range to practice his pistol shooting.

The press came out to their property in the Sacramento Valley to do this report after she won the competition at Fort Funston in San Francisco. Gloria did some demonstration shooting for them, including some trick shots, like shooting her Colt .22 revolver upside down.

1940 WORLD'S PISTOL CHAMP IS A GIRL! - Stock Footage

'snot a centre-fire- that's the barrel shroud you are looking at - it allows the bullet/pellet to leave the muzzle into still air. Most all modern .22 and air target rifles have that kind of muzzle.

tac

There is no way that is a pellet rifle. It looks nothing at all like the air rifle that she has been shown competing with. Nor does it look anything at all like her smallbore rifle either. And there is no air reservoir anywhere on the rifle, so it is definitely not an air rifle.

And that barrel shroud is clearly to allow mounting a front sight. It looks like the exact same material and color as the rear sight's mount.

The large size of the action clearly identifies it as been a center fire. No .22 LR would ever have an action that massive in size.

It definitely looks like a custom 300 m 3 position competition rifle to me.

Okay, your debate had me wondering, and a simple few Googly searches turned up her rifle, the Feinwerkbau 2700 - in .22lr. She uses that rifle for small bore competitions.

Here is another shot of the front of the same rifle, identifying the model and a photo of the rifle itself. It can be yours for only $3,300 USD

main.php5?view=publish&item=resource&id=1555&width=650&height=278&withMagnifier=1.jpg

Captureasdfasdfasdfasfd.JPG

Okay, your debate had me wondering, and a simple few Googly searches turned up her rifle, the Feinwerkbau 2700 - in .22lr. She uses that rifle for small bore competitions.

Here is another shot of the front of the same rifle, identifying the model and a photo of the rifle itself. It can be yours for only $3,300 USD

View attachment 306353

View attachment 306352

Well, we both turned out to be wrong! LOL!! :eek:

From the other picture, it looked like the rifle had a large action. But it was not at all a good view.

300m three position is not an Olympic sport. NO centre-fire rifle is an Olympic sport.

I explained that all in my earlier post. Did you not read it carefully? It used to be an Olympic Sport, from 1900 to 1972. Lone Wigger was the last person to win a Gold Medal in the 1972 300 m 3 position rifle.

It remains an event for ISU competition. And the NRA and many state rifle associations hold 300 m rifle matches too.

NCAA collegiate competition is strictly smallbore and air rifle.

BTW, not only is she an Olympic medalist, but is an engineering student and a member of the National Honor Society. She's likely going to have some great job offers after college.

Mr Jacobs - Ms Shatter was not shooting a 300m three-position centre-fire rifle, as you so forcefully stated in your post. And yes, I did read it carefully. Are you one of these folks who never likes to do anything wrong?

But I was not trying to imply that particular photo was from the Olympics. When did I say that specific photo was from the Olympics? I posted quite a number of other photos of her that had nothing at all to do with the Olympics. I was not attempting in any way to make people think that she was shooting 300 m rifle at the Olympics. You have made an incorrect ASSUMPTION here.

The rifle clearly looked like a 300 m rifle to me. So I just assumed that she had also competed in it as well. I thought it was a pic of her shooting a different kind of gun, so that is why I posted it.

So, you got it wrong. For me, this is not a problem. For you, and your sharp answer, it probably is.

It is not at all so much that I posted anything wrong. You incorrectly identified the rifle at first too, saying it was an air rifle. We BOTH got it wrong in initially identifying the rifle.

But for some reason, you seem to be OBSESSED here in criticizing me, and doing your best to make it appear that I tried to make it look like she was shooting a 300 m rifle at the Olympics, when I really did no such thing.

Your remarks here are really most unfair and unreasonable, and are not at all appreciated.

And if I was trying to make people think that she was shooting a 300 m rifle at the Olympics, then why would I have included info about the sport being so long ago discontinued from the Olympics? Your on-going criticism of me makes no sense at all.

I initially misidentified the rifle and you misidentified it at first too.

I posted an image of my air rifle to show you that HUGE muzzles don't mean huge centre-fire. Since I have shot in all of these competitions since the late 1960's, it is unlikely in the extreme that I would confuse a bolt action .22 rifle with any air rifle, even given that Feinwerkbau make both. What they DON'T do is make centre-fire target rifles.

Lighten up, buster, and let's move on to celebrating the phenomenal success of a great young lady, instead of ripping the a*** out of each other - agreed?

On the other hand, there is an ignore button here. Please feel free to use it.

tac

Tac:

You are being quite the hypocrite here. I acknowledged my error in identification long ago in this thread. There was no need at all for you to continue to pile on me like you have. I even replied to you with a LOL, as I made total light of the matter.

It is you who is 100% guilty of continuing this matter, not I. There is nothing at all here for us to even disagree on, so I do not understand at all why you have been so adamant in pursing such a utterly pointless and trivial discussion. You have literally made a mountain out of a molehill here.

I think it is you who is the one who truly needs to lighten up here. Surely you must have better things to do than to waste your time arguing with me.

Dear All - please excuse my lack of emoticons in any post I might make on this forum. My computing equipment is all Japanese, and uses a different OS to Western devices. My screen view of your Windows-based emoticons is an empty square symbol.

Unless I stump up and change my gear, me and emoticons will remain strangers unless I'm using somebody else's PC.

Thank you.

tac

Here is some old movietone newsreel footage of my late cousin Gloria Jacobs, when she won the World Indoor Pistol Championship in San Francisco back in 1940, competing against a field of men when she was only 17 years old. Not only did she win the tournament, but she also set a new world record for indoor pistol at the time.

Note: Back in 1940, International indoor pistol was entirely a slow fire course, and was shot with 22 LR revolvers.

The police officer that you see standing near her at the end of the footage, next to all of her trophies and medals, was her father ( and my Dad's uncle ), Captain Henry Jacobs of the California Highway Patrol. Her Dad gave her a 22 LR rifle for her 10th birthday. She was so uncanny shooting rats and squirrels on their property, that he then started to take her with him when he went to the range to practice his pistol shooting.

The press came out to their property in the Sacramento Valley to do this report after she won the competition at Fort Funston in San Francisco. Gloria did some demonstration shooting for them, including some trick shots, like shooting her Colt .22 revolver upside down.

1940 WORLD'S PISTOL CHAMP IS A GIRL! - Stock Footage

Really cool to see this old footage. Thank you for sharing this Lance!

I only recently learned my late father used to attend service revolver shooting competitions. Wish he took some footage of that!

Really cool to see this old footage. Thank you for sharing this Lance!

I only recently learned my late father used to attend service revolver shooting competitions. Wish he took some footage of that!

Yea, she was quite an amazing shot. Both National Geographic and Time magazines did brief write ups on her 1940 win in San Francisco. Was such a shame that she retired from shooting after graduating from High School to get married and raise a family. No telling how good she could have become.

Her Dad, Captain Henry Jacobs of the CHP, was quite a good shot too. He won the .45 caliber Bullseye pistol shooting national championship at Camp Perry one year. He did not come close to winning the overall pistol title, but he did manage to win the .45 caliber stage.

In fact, he took Gloria with him to Camp Perry when she was only 16, and she competed in the full Bullseye 2700 pistol competition.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top