JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have contacted an OHA member that is deeply involved with youth. I hope to hear back from him on what his stance is and if we can count on his support. I'll put him in touch with the senator or you COUGARFAN if he's willing. Gosh I didn't know my little suggestion would get this ball rolling but thanks for doing the leg work. I'll do what I can to contribute. It's all about the children...

First of all my heart sincerely goes out to the family... even the uncle.
Secondly I started hunting in Grant county Washington with my hunters safety course about 36 years ago and have hunted other continents.... There is one fast rule... If you can't see your target (identify) & the back stop your bullet will go into if it goes through the target, the barrel is never even raised in that direction. NO EXCEPTIONS.
How hard is that?!

And bells too. Because maybe some hunter will shoot thru brush at a noise. So orange would do no good in this case. Gotta have bells too.

I guess I skimmed over that part...

I know the family of the kid that shot the woman in skagit not too long ago when bear hunting...

Too bad really... and guns or gun laws will take the blame on this one...

Personally I don't think hunter orange would have prevented this. The uncle identifying his target before pulling the trigger would have though. I also think that anyone that shoots another human being while hunting should be charged with assault with a deadly weapon, or manslaughter, but thats just my 2 cents.

i always wear my orange...and me and my brother were still shot at this deer season,it was getting to be dusk and we were walking on this closed road below a slight hill we stopped for a moment and heard a whizz right over our head then the actual gunshot, we hit the dirt,then we stood up, whizz again over our heads,then we hit the dirt again,we tried to stay below anyone on the hills visibility and made our way to the trail we came to the road on, man did it scare me, and this year was my first year out, made me rethink hunting.

Same thing happened to my neighbor a few years ago. The shooter didn't identify his target. My neighbor survived, but only after a lifeflight and even then just barely.

Stupid and senseless on the part of the uncle. I feel for the family.

Keith

Personally I don't think hunter orange would have prevented this.
We may never know but in the late 50's maybe early 60's a major study was conducted with regard to this and reported in an issue of Outdoor Life magazine. I have a copy of it somewhere and I could try to find it and scan a copy for posting but I remember the result of the study was blaze orange is the most unnatural color in the environment and IS noticed quickly by those who see it being worn by hunters in the woods.

We may never know but in the late 50's maybe early 60's a major study was conducted with regard to this and reported in an issue of Outdoor Life magazine. I have a copy of it somewhere and I could try to find it and scan a copy for posting but I remember the result of the study was blaze orange is the most unnatural color in the environment and IS noticed quickly by those who see it being worn by hunters in the woods.

I agree that it is a more noticable color...when you can see it. Otherwise road workers would probably wear some other color. My point was that anyone stupid enough to fire into a bush at an unknown target is probably too stupid to notice a small patch of orange that may be visible between the branches and leaves. To me it sounds like the uncle was firing pretty much blindly into some brush *hoping* it was a deer in there. In my opinion he should be charged with manslaughter, or negligent homicide or something. I honestly believe that if *every* hunter held off on shooting until positively identifying their target that incidents like this would completely disappear regardless of what color people wear in the woods. Oh and if they use a spotting scope or binoculars until they identify the target, then switch to rifle to look through the targeting scope when ready to fire.

My point was that anyone stupid enough to fire into a bush at an unknown target is probably too stupid to notice a small patch of orange
I was not debating your original point - believe me I totally agree with you. Unfortunatley poor hunting safety skills seem to be passed down and not necessairly learned by one's own volition - I observed this for many years as a Hunter Safety Instructor - especially when the parents attended the course with their children.

Last Edited:
An accident is unavoidable. The only reason crap like this happens is carelessness.

Everyone should go thru hunter safety, including adults. Never shoot at a target you can't positively identify and no "accidents" will happen.

The bottom line is the shooter DID NOT know what he was shooting at. Orange, while not a bad idea, wont fix that problem. First thing I learned BEFORE I got to handle a firearm...KNOW YOUR TARGET! I feel sorry for the uncle...but it was his mistake, most definitely a tragic one, but still, HIS mistake. If you asked the man if blaze orange would have changed anything...do you think he could say it would? He DID NOT SEE THE TARGET!!! For all we know the nephew (RIP) could have been wearing a bright color.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top