JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I saw this on Koin.com this morning and it it so sad. There's just no excuse for something like this happening. It makes me sad and angry at the same time. There is no reason this kid should have died.

GRAND RONDE, Ore. - A 15-year-old Salem boy was shot and killed in a Sunday morning hunting accident.
Yamhill County Sheriff Jack Crabtree says the accident happened at about 10:30 a.m. Sunday, about three miles north of Grand Ronde hear Highway 22. Apparently, the boy's uncle mistook him for an elk.

It was a family hunting outing. Crabtree says the boy, his father, sister and the uncle who killed him were hunting near the 59000 block of Highway 22, "In an area where the party had seen elk earlier." The boy was wearing camouflage clothing, and the uncle , according to Crabtree, "fired through heavy brush."

I am normally not for any more govt. interference in people's lives and activities than necessary, but I wish Oregon would start mandating Hunter Orange clothing during big game firearms season. Not saying that would have prevented this accident, but it might have. I can't imagine being the Uncle having to live with the thought of killing his Nephew for the rest of his life.

Another hunter who didnt identify the target and or maybe what lies beyond it. I hunt and I have two boys that 8 and 10 and I take them. It is imperative that the orange is on all over. Also noting that may not have preventing this accident but Im pretty sure had the uncle taken the time to indentify the animal first this tragic accident may have gone undone. Its the whole buck fever thing. I know I have been there, you hear something about 30 -40 yards out and see motion thru the sticks. You think this is the only chance your gonna have and pull the trigger. I feel really bad for the dad and his brother (the uncle) and prey that the family will stay strong and not let this tear them apart. And god rest that young boys soul.

This is sad and tragic and it should not have happened. I have not seen many 15 year olds that look like elk. Now comes to me and my critical thinking. I have seen many times that these were not accidents just reported as so. I not saying this is the case here. I hope in Gods name it was an accident and I have seen many people shooting and hunting who need to take some sore of classes where they can improve skills. I would not want to carry this burden for the rest of my life and can't imagine the emotional effects it will have on him and everybody around him.

Scott

i feel really bad for the kids family, and him for that matter. It reminds me of someone i knew telling me a story of his father in law wanting to take him hunting.

The father in law did not like him so he was happy that he was finally trying to bond with him and spend some time with him. they hung out for a few weeks before they were supposed to go hunting. Everything was going great. So he shows up on the day they are supposed to go hunting, and his father in law hands him a one piece brown jump suit to wear for the trip. He decided he didn't feel good and didn't go.

The uncle at minimum needs to lose his hunting rights for life. No excuse for shooting at anything without positivly identifying the target.

A friend of mines son was the sheriff deputy that responded to the shooting and it wasn't pretty !! The uncle had a cow tag and shot without identifying his target ! The results will never be over for that family because of a terrible mistake of not identifying your target before pulling the trigger !!

This type of tragedy happens every year. My prayers are with the family. Maybe they should mandate minor children wear hunter orange? The Media should at least try to recap the last years accidents BEFORE hunting season starts and have fish and wildlife/state police urge hunters to be safe instead of just reporting and responding the accidents as they normally do.

People should be made liable in these cases. He could have reasonably prevented this and didn't.

Some accidents can't be avoided however.. But he blindly fired at a target, and this was his fault.

Very sad story.

The Media should at least try to recap the last years accidents BEFORE hunting season starts and have fish and wildlife/state police urge hunters to be safe instead of just reporting and responding the accidents as they normally do.

I agree w/ this 100% Also it wouldn't be the worst idea for the media to warn hikers/campers of hunting seasons. Many people who don't hunt but are outdoors don't even know the chances they could be taking by not wearing orange.

The rules of engagement in Afghanistan should be in place for the hunters and the rules of engagement for hunters should be in place in Afghanistan. That would mean no dead hunter accidents and more dead Taliban. And the sad thing is, you know Im right.

I am going to contact my Oregon State Senator and see if he would be willing to sponsor a law requiring Hunter Orange in Oregon at least for minors. Where I grew up hunting in KS hunter orange was mandated as it was in MN when I lived there as well. We even wore hunter orange when we were walking to our duck blinds and just took it off and hid it after we got in the blind.

I'm even willing to do a little leg work and find the specific regs in KS that mandate hunter orange to use as a working model. Does anyone know if there has ever been an attempt in Oregon to make hunter orange mandatory?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top