JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
FROM TED NUGENT
08/18/10

To my Fellow Outdoorsmen.... You may have read the news that I pled no contest to two misdemeanor game violations. I should have been better informed, more aware and I take full responsibility. The honorable hunting lifestyle is my deepest passion.

Ted Nugent

It is a sportsman's duty to know the rules/laws of the state he is hunting/fishing in. With as many states as Nuge hunts in, I guess I can understand how hard it is to keep all the rules straight. He messed up, and takes responsibility for it. I still admire the man, and hope he takes a little more time in the future to verify the rules before pulling the trigger.

What was he to do? It was coming right for him!

In all seriousness, he did wrong but at least he manned up to it, paid the fines and issued an apology, I'm sure we'll see better from him in the future

Manned up to it?? You're joking, right? His handlers, lawyers, and 'people' told him the best way to spin this, just like they told him to plead nolo contendre.

If he had manned up, he would've pled guilty.

Uncle Ted is cool.. anyone who says different voted for Obama... and whatever you say means absolutely nothing...

/thread

Hero worship is so pathetic. It's a disease that infects Americans particularly badly. Heck, we even revere criminals, as if you could be famous just for being infamous.

None of you (us) know jack about Mr. Nugent. All we see is a persona, a fabricated person who vanishes as soon as the cameras are switched off.

And no, I didn't vote for 0bama, nor did I vote for John "Keating 5" McCain.

Hero worship is so pathetic. It's a disease that infects Americans particularly badly. Heck, we even revere criminals, as if you could be famous just for being infamous.

None of you (us) know jack about Mr. Nugent. All we see is a persona, a fabricated person who vanishes as soon as the cameras are switched off.

Well said.

Do either of you foolish ppl know what a hero is? Do you have any? I have several hero's who I deeply admire. But only one i worship. He is a Jewish carpentr.

Yes America has many heros, but I bet you are unable to know the difference between heros and celibierty worship. I think you after referring to the latter as hero worship.
And how the frack can you know who among us does or does know Ted.

So the man had a lapse of judgement in his hunting. He payed his fines. so like they say at the courthouse, Next case..

I said he is cool.. you crazy obama voter..

hero worship :s0112:

I guess I get what I get when I post in a rallysoob thread...

As a person who has shared a meal and lengthy conversation with Ted and family on the occasion of his son's 10th birthday, and received repeated personal correspondence from him as a result of my conservation work here in Oregon, I am disappointed and saddened that he committed such game violations. Knowing the man personally, I can assure you that he is ashamed.

As to "Hero Worship", I believe the poster who brought forward that term would mean that some would don blinders to human frailty when observing the actions (right and wrong) of someone they respect and/or revere. This is absolutely true in many cases. I have personally seen it amongst those who respect and revere Ted Nugent, and have had personal conflicts with those persons when I point out that Ted (in his own words) is "just a man", and then demonstrate to them with facts that the unflawed, always righteous and always perfect "Hero" they see in Ted does not exist.

On the other hand, I have also had conflicts with persons who would magnify and delight in any slip-up or hypocrisy they might discover in Ted. In a sense, Ted brings this on himself: He is in show business, and his self-created persona is one of Uncle Ted or "Doctor Jekyll": strict ethics, temperence, and righteous, energetic, in-your-face expression of his views and lifestyle, coupled with the "Mister Hyde" half that is the rebellious, anti-authority Motor-City Madman. It is a tough and sharp fence upon which to sit, and the fact is that once in a while he will fall off.

The Ted Nugent that I have seen personally and privately is neither "Uncle Ted", or "The Motor City Madman". He is a (believe it or not) quiet, extremely intelligent, gregarious and generous man, giving freely of his time and resources toward things that he and I share a "Hero-Worship" for: The United States, The Second Ammendment, and the passion that is hunting.

We also share something else: We both make really dumb mistakes on a regular basis, disappointing those who look up to us, and more importantly ourselves.

The "no-contest" plea seems to be an issue.

I would ask first, if those who have an issue with this have ever been in legal trouble, or are close to someone who has.

As stated previously, I am one of those people who makes dumb mistakes.

There may exist some people who do not (and perhaps a few more who believe they do not, and never will). I don't know any of the former, but I have met some of the latter.

When one is in legal trouble, one does all one can to mitigate that trouble. In many cases it is possible to accept responsibility, while mitigating the initially presented magnitude of penalty.

This is what Ted did. I believe his violations were a result of not educating himself on the law. He accepted his responsibility for that in no uncertain terms in his statement. The "no-contest" plea exists in the legal system for a number of reasons: many of them to the benefit of the system itself, rather than the accused. To refuse to recognize this feature or refuse to incorporate it when appropriate is unrealistic, and in many cases detrimental to the justice system itself.

No, Ted did not immediately admit guilt on each and every initially presented charge, and accept whatever penalty was assigned to each charge. Ted also did not completely refute each charge and throw his entire bank of resources toward a plea of not guilty.

Ted did exactly what good people do when they make mistakes: mitigate the personal damage while accepting responsibility (and I might add, diagnosing the precise mistake made), and professing contrition to those wronged.

Believe me: If you ever make a mistake, you will do well holding yourself to that standard.

Met Ted. He is a good guy. He stepped on his Johnson and it hurt. Paid the price, admitted he was wrong, and suffered bad publicity because of it.
Which of us has not made mistakes and felt ashamed? Are you on radio, t.v. and print all the time? How would you feel if you had to air your every comment and then take the flack for each and every word? Nuge is a man of integrity and his public persona is not really who he is all the time. Greydog.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top