1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Tech Question About Yahoo Mail

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RVTECH, Oct 1, 2012.

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

I had an interesting experience last week. A junk email message was sent to several of my contacts (not all just some) FROM my address but the problem is I did NOT send it! If someone with computer security experience can briefly explain to me how and why this happened I would appreciate it. BTW I immediately changed my password. Thanks.
  2. netcarrier

netcarrier Portland, Oregon Active Member

The same thing happened to me. I also had to change my pass word.
    Tony Portland, Oregon Area
  3. zack147

zack147 NY New Member

This is due to hacking of your account password.Or you click on a spammer site from your account.That access your account and than sent messages from it....
    Self Managed Superannuation Fund
  4. Blkbear

Blkbear Seattle New Member

This is common, especially when your contact sends forwarded jokes and funny pictures to several people that also send forwarded jokes and funny pictures to other people. And what happen 99% of the time a web crawling spammer send out something funny that people forward over and over again, WITHOUT, removing all the forwards and VISIBLE valid email addresses which are now piled up in the first part of the BODY of the email. This is very popular in chain letters and please pass this store on to others if you agree or like it, type emails. The spammer is one of the addresses in the chain and as it gets sent and resent, it finally gets back to them, with a whole host of valid emails, passed along by others to all their friends, family and business contacts. No need to hack email accounts for email addresses, when people will do the work for you.

And poof, the smaller now have several valid emails to use to plug in as the FROM address, to a bunch of new valid email addresses. The best cure for this is to tell everyone that does send you things, forwarded from other sources, to remove all the forwards and any and all email addresses that are visible in the emails they get, before sending them to you and other, so that JUST the funny pictures and or jokes are in the body of the email, or to not add you to their auto forward lists.
  5. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Well RV,there was a radio talk show host making fun of us who still had a Yahoo mail account.
    Mine works fine and I don't send 1000 emails a month,so why change?
    BTW,I haven't a clue as to your problem.They were just picking on the old weak email accounts I'm sure
  6. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

It is also possible that your address was faked using a sender envelope. You'd have to be able to read and understand the mail headers to determine that. I run my own mail server so I see some of them occasionally purporting to be from yahoo, google, etc. and in reality they aren't. They usually come from some poor sap's system that has been infected with malware and now he's just a mail zombie.