JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hiya Taco_lean...
I have taught many different folks of wildly varying ages how to shoot , from flintlocks to the M16 series of rifles...Give me a shout via PM if you would like...I'd be happy to help.
Andy

I don't have extensive experience by any means, but one thing is that the teaching needs to take place over more than one meeting. The first time needs to be verbal explanation and use blue guns or unloaded airsoft guns or real guns with inert barrels. If they are unable or unwilling to display safe actions in that setting, then you never move on.

Gun safety lessons are as much about the kids' readiness for the learning. The only way it could possibly be safe without that readiness of the kids would be one safe adult per child. If it is only you, then the kids MUST be ready and intrinsically motivated to be safe.

Very well said. Individually might be easier. As a group, that's a whole other dynamic that could be very challenging depending on the kids.

Maybe also have the kids parents supervision or extra adults in the room for extra control of the kids. Especially the younger ones.

I don't have extensive experience by any means, but one thing is that the teaching needs to take place over more than one meeting. The first time needs to be verbal explanation and use blue guns or unloaded airsoft guns or real guns with inert barrels. If they are unable or unwilling to display safe actions in that setting, then you never move on.

Gun safety lessons are as much about the kids' readiness for the learning. The only way it could possibly be safe without that readiness of the kids would be one safe adult per child. If it is only you, then the kids MUST be ready and intrinsically motivated to be safe.

Very well put and a great opening post. I would add that if you have the ability to get help add a couple of buddies that you know and trust. Three instructors with four kids and you have someone to bounce idea's off of before moving to stage two. One of the others might see something you didn't because you were busy with one of the kids.

6 yr old will most likely only get the gun safety portion. Maybe 1 very controlled shot from the .22.
How did this go?

@tarster has been kind enough last year and again this year to bring me in with some others from his social group to work through a variety of new shooters. Kind of an introduction to firearms. Ages ranged but most were teens+.

I have taught safety to my kids, others kids and 6 is a great age to start. 4 is even better. Soon as they can pull the trigger on a single shot it's time to train. If they can load the 1933 single shot and pull the trigger you are a candidate.

Looking forward as well to taking my nephew out, his parents don't own firearms but they know it's important for him to learn safety and understand them. Sadly I think he is around 9ish...

I haven't heard from dad, and don't want to push it too hard. Also waiting for them to debrush their backyard for a firing lane.

I also need to get tech sights on my 10/22.

Haven't even called Andy yet! :eek:

So I will leave that AR put together so he can shoot it and then before we pack up later in the day I will take apart the lower and give you all the controls and pins and stuff and just take my lower.

Go over safety, cleaning and maintenance, and what to do if there is a malfunction

Eye & ear protection for all.

I always give new shooters one bullet at a time and follow the below.

keep firearm pointed in safe direction
keep finger off the trigger until target is engaged (know 360 degree environment of target)
keep firearm unloaded until ready for use

Hi all,

Sometime soon, I am going to attempt to teach 4 young boys, age 6-12, gun safety. I met them today, and they are all respectful, but full of energy.

I understand legally this might be risky, but ethically how can I not take a chance to educate young men.

I have taught quite a few new shooters, all adults, and obviously I am safe myself.

Rather than starting a big thread, I just have a request. If someone has extensive experience, like they have been teaching kids at a camp or Boy Scouts, or have had multiple chances to teach kids other than their own, gun safety, please PM me and we can talk on the phone sometime in the next few weeks. Maybe twice? Once this week, and once a day or too before.
Get in touch with @LethalLovebird. He has taught gun safety to approximately 15,000 kids in the PNW so far.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top