JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Apparently you do want to compare "movements". You are using polling data (source?), I'll use common sense:

Tea Party
Normal Americans that are tired of being taxed to death and want a smaller federal government.

Occupy
Spoiled brats, hippie wannabes, anarchists, and homeless people, all wanting to be part of something where the goal can change to whatever wins depending on the argument.

I like how you feel about "normal americans".

An October 2010 Washington Post canvass of 647 local Tea Party organizers asked "which national figure best represents your groups?" and got the following responses: no one 34%, Sarah Palin 14%, Glenn Beck 7%, Jim DeMint 6%, Ron Paul 6%, Michele Bachmann 4%.[23]

I must say, I am a Ron Paul supporter, but even him I wouldn't call "normal".

Fixed it for you! :s0155:

Generally I think the difference in form of protest is a factor of age demographics, and is not directly connected to the political goals. Here is the comparison :

Tea Party
Several polls have been conducted on the demographics of the movement. Though the various polls sometimes turn up slightly different results, they tend to show that Tea Party supporters are mainly white and slightly more likely to be male, married, older than 45, more conservative than the general population, and likely to be more wealthy and have more education.[76][77][78][79][80]

Demagogued by the media from the get-go.

Didn't trash the place and actually left it in better condition than they found it.

Didn't use drugs and leave the paraphernalia laying around.

Didn't commit any crimes like trespassing, theft, vandalism, rapes...

Occupy
Early on the protesters were mostly young, in part due to their pronounced use of social networks through which they promoted the protests.[55][56] As the protest grew, older protesters also became involved.[57] The average age of the protesters is 33, with people in their 20s balanced by people in their 40s.[58] Various religious faiths have been represented at the protest including Muslims, Jews, and Christians.[59][60] On October 10 the Associated Press reported that "there's a diversity of age, gender and race" at the protest.[57]

According to a survey of Zuccotti Park protesters by the Baruch College School of Public Affairs published on October 19, of 1,619 web respondents, 1/3 were older than 35, half were employed full-time, 13% were unemployed and 13% earned over $75,000. 27.3% of the respondents called themselves Democrats, 2.4% called themselves Republicans, while the rest, 70%, called themselves independents.[62]

Racially, the majority of participants are White, with one study based on survey responses at OccupyWallStreet.org reporting 81.2% White, 7.6% Other, 6.8% Hispanic, 2.8% Asian, and 1.6% Black.[63][64]

Lauded by the media from the get-go.

Trashed the place and left it in a rancid condition for others to clean up.

Used drugs and had open sex in public, then left the paraphernalia laying around.

Committed crimes like trespassing, theft, vandalism, and RAPES occurred more than occasionally.

BTW- Although I agree with a lot of the premises of the Tea Party concerning the role our Federal Government should play in our lives I'm not a "member"... but if ANY of you where to refer to me as a "Tea Bagger" to my face in person... I promise I'll stomp on your friggin' wind-pipe until its nothing but mush.

:s0081:

The only reason local governments can override given provisions is due to the fact it hasn't been successfully litigated yet. In fact NYC is currently being sued, but the courts are dragging their feet.

Now when it comes to restrictions on free speech, in my opinion College/University would be well within its authority to expel a student who vocalizes on intolerance towards any other students, regardless of the context. One is free to protest outside the campus setting though. Think of it as of coming to my party and screaming how you hate the guts of some other guest of mine...

That only works if its a private university. If its a public one... US constitution is in effect, in theory anyway. Some reading for ya: FIRE

Apparently you do want to compare "movements". You are using polling data (source?), I'll use common sense:

Tea Party
Normal Americans that are tired of being taxed to death and want a smaller federal government.

Occupy
Spoiled brats, hippie wannabes, anarchists, and homeless people, all wanting to be part of something where the goal can change to whatever wins depending on the argument.

Apparently, it's easier for you if you don't read other people's post and simply make assumptions:

According to a survey of Zuccotti Park protesters by the Baruch College School of Public Affairs published on October 19, of 1,619 web respondents,

1/3 were older than 35,
half were employed full-time,
13% were unemployed
and 13% earned over $75,000.
27.3% of the respondents called themselves Democrats,
2.4% called themselves Republicans,
while the rest, 70%, called themselves independents.[62]

Spoiled brats, hippie wannabes, anarchists, and homeless people? Really?

I can't figure out what drives most of the Tea Party people that I know that are either long-term unemployed or on permanent disability. They haven't paid a penny in income taxes in years, don't own property, and have never made $40K in a year in their lives. And yet they spout the Tea Party line about not taxing the rich continuously.

Possibly they don't want us becoming another Weimar Republic? Or for the historically challenged among you how about modern Greece.

It's the spending!

Shocking to read that they aren't motivated by greed.

Where have you seen that ? The federal law itself doesn't even mention possible deviations, it only covers the manner
in which the firearms can be transported :

18 U.S.C. § 926A : US Code - Section 926A: Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any
person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from
transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to
transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he
may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place

where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during
such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the
firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible
or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such
transporting vehicle
: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle
without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the
firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container
other than the glove compartment or console.

I was stating what has actually happened, not what the law is.

As for ignoring the intent, if not the letter of the law in this case, why wouldn't government officials do so if it furthers their own agendas? They get away with it all the time. For instance, can anybody tell me what kind of sense it makes to "pay for" a cut in Social Security taxes by cutting the general budget? Social Security has its own tax revenue and its own expenditures. The only time it's related at all to the general budget is when the congress critters raid SS funds to pay for the military and tax cuts. Social Security money was never intended to go for other things, so why cut other things when reducing Social Security payroll taxes? Are they stupid, or do they think that I am?

Gun law/politics aside.
Dont think you can check ammo at all with or without a gun.
I am sure some thoughtful person will let me know if I am off the mark here. ;-)

Ammunition can be checked-in, but it has to be in factory boxes and there is weight limit.

TSA: Traveling with Special Items

Btw, apparently weight limit is not coming from DOT/TSA :

The US DOT regulations do not limit the total number of packages or the total weight that may be transported in checked baggage. However, the ammunition must be for "personal use." Many air carriers limit the amount of small arms ammunition that may be carried in checked baggage to 11 lbs (5 kg) consistent with international standards. If in doubt, check with your air carrier.

<broken link removed>

Apparently, it's easier for you if you don't read other people's post and simply make assumptions:

Spoiled brats, hippie wannabes, anarchists, and homeless people? Really?

I can't figure out what drives most of the Tea Party people that I know that are either long-term unemployed or on permanent disability. They haven't paid a penny in income taxes in years, don't own property, and have never made $40K in a year in their lives. And yet they spout the Tea Party line about not taxing the rich continuously.

Think you're getting the Tea Party people and the Occupy people mixed up. The Tea Party people that I know have worked and paid taxes for 40+ years, own houses, and have served the country in various ways. From what I've seen of the Occupy people so far is just the opposite. A bunch of snivelers, that have taken much more from the country than they have, or ever will contribute.

Think you're getting the Tea Party people and the Occupy people mixed up. The Tea Party people that I know have worked and paid taxes for 40+ years, own houses, and have served the country in various ways. From what I've seen of the Occupy people so far is just the opposite. A bunch of snivelers, that have taken much more from the country than they have, or ever will contribute.

Well, according to some people from the Right, some of those snivelers might be now paying for services some of those 40+ year tax payers might be receiving :

Social Security debate (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top