JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
He was in fact, in violation of the law because he possessed a weapon in a place he was forbidden to by local law.

FOPA requires that you must be allowed to posess a weapon at your start and end point. Since his return flight was FROM NY and he didn't have a NY permit, he was in violation of the law and FOPA isn't going to help him.

I just moved back here a year ago after 8 years in Massachusetts. I traveled to and through NY state quite a lot. This isn't new information. It's very well settled law. The guy was a clambag for not bothering to know the law. This isn't obscure, it's pretty well known.

It sucks that he's busted and NY has insane gun laws. But they are pretty easy to acess and read. If you're traveling out of state with firearms and don't bother to read up on the laws of the places you're going to be traveling to and through, you're a tool.

Seriously, does ANYONE on this thread feel warm and comfy with the idea of travelling to or from NY state with a handgun without bothering to read the laws? Is anyone here that stupid?

There's no way I'd take a gun to states like NY or CA without some research. I have no desire to be charged with a felony due to asinine firearms laws. I research the laws anyplace I go.

When I drive to NV or AZ, I avoid CA because of their laws. I could lock up things and use the protections afforded through FOPA but I'd prefer not to go that route. All of CA's neighbors have superior firearms laws.

There's no way I'd take a gun to states like NY or CA without some research. I have no desire to be charged with a felony due to asinine firearms laws. I research the laws anyplace I go.

When I drive to NV or AZ, I avoid CA because of their laws. I could lock up things and use the protections afforded through FOPA but I'd prefer not to go that route. All of CA's neighbors have superior firearms laws.

Listen, I used to drive many miles out of my way to avoid NJ. They are bad about honoring FOPA and LEOSA even when you're in total compliance. Same goes for Chicago and NYC.

There are some places that are basically "no go" zones for people traveling with firearms unless they have a local permit. It's terrible that these places are allowed to deny our rights, but pretending that they don't exist and that there aren't consequences for ignorance is stupidity of the first rank.

This isn't news to anyone who can be assed to take even the most cursory look. I have no sympathy at all for the teabagger that got hammered. He OBVIOUSLY violated the law. He was an OBVIOUS target due to his political activities.

Actions have consequences. This is one of the essences of conservatism.

December 16, 2011
Tea Party Patriots leader arrested at airport for checking in lawful pistol

Tea Party Patriots co-founder Mark Meckler was arrested at an airport in New York City on Thursday after he attempted to check-in a locked gun box holding his Glock 27 pistol and ammunition to a Delta Airlines ticket agent.

According to authorities and his attorney, Meckler, 49, holds a concealed-carry permit for the Glock 27 pistol at home in California, but not in New York where he was attempting to board the plane. As a result, he was arrested and charged with a felony.

"Before leaving home, passengers should acquaint themselves with the weapon laws of the jurisdiction that they are visiting and comply with any and all legal requirements if they choose to travel with a weapon," Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown said.

"Otherwise, they may find themselves being arrested and charged with a felony – as is what occurred in this case," he said.

Attorney Brian Stapleton of Goldberg, Segalla, LLP said Meckler was only attempting to follow TSA rules for checking in a firearm when he was arrested.

"While in temporary transit through the state of New York in possession of an unloaded, lawful firearm that was locked in a TSA-approved safe, he legally declared his possession of the firearm in his checked baggage at the ticket counter as required by law and in a manner approved by TSA and the airline, yet was arrested by port authority for said possession," Stapleton said.

Meckler was arraigned Thursday in Queens Criminal Court and charged with second degree criminal possession of a weapon, a Class C felony.

Meckler was released Thursday. He has a court date set for Jan. 12, 2012.

Brown said Meckler, a well-known person in the tea party movement, told authorities he keeps the pistol with him because he gets threats.

Tea Party | Concealed Carry | Felony | The Daily Caller

Welcome ta New Yawk

You mean people that are acquainted with the law? I rest my case.

Active and retired law enforcement officers who are qualified to carry nationwide.

Listen, I used to drive many miles out of my way to avoid NJ. They are bad about honoring FOPA and LEOSA even when you're in total compliance. Same goes for Chicago and NYC.

Got any info to support such claim ?

Its obvious why he was arrested - not only was he carrying a Glock - but it was 9mm! LOL

And now he's got troubles in CA:

<broken link removed>

Local law enforcement authorities have suspended the concealed-carry gun permit for Tea Party Patriot co-founder Mark Meckler in the wake of his arrest Thursday at New York City's LaGuardia Airport.

Meckler was arrested as he checked in for a Delta airlines flight with a locked box containing a Glock pistol and 19 units of 9mm ammunition. Meckler, a Nevada County attorney who had been in New York since Sunday, allegedly told authorities that he carries the gun because he receives threats.

Got any info to support such claim ?

Traveling Man&#39;s Gun Arrest Appealed To Supreme Court | Fox News

Summary...

Guy travels (via airplane) from Utah to Pennsylvania. Gets delayed in New Jersey. Flight canceled, he grabs his bags and gets a hotel. Tries to check in the next day for the replacement flight, gets arrested for having a firearm in New Jersey without a NJ license.

Took him three years to get his gun back. Spent 10-days in jail as well.

Did you need another example, or is this one good enough to agree with Misterbill on this one point?

Doesn't the fact that a local government can override your basic constitutional right give you a warm a fuzzy feeling?
How long before some of these places have prohibitions on some form on free speech? Don't laugh at that thought. Try being a college student and have a vocal anti-gay position (amongst others) and see how long it takes for the college to threaten you with explosion. Give that campus precedent some time and it will seep into the general population.

Traveling Man&#39;s Gun Arrest Appealed To Supreme Court | Fox News

Summary...

Guy travels (via airplane) from Utah to Pennsylvania. Gets delayed in New Jersey. Flight canceled, he grabs his bags and gets a hotel. Tries to check in the next day for the replacement flight, gets arrested for having a firearm in New Jersey without a NJ license.

Took him three years to get his gun back. Spent 10-days in jail as well.

Did you need another example, or is this one good enough to agree with Misterbill on this one point?

Please look at the post #27 http://www.northwestfirearms.com/le...-shocked-arrest-gun-charges-2.html#post520039

My question was about somebody carrying under LEOSA being arrested.

Doesn't the fact that a local government can override your basic constitutional right give you a warm a fuzzy feeling?
How long before some of these places have prohibitions on some form on free speech? Don't laugh at that thought. Try being a college student and have a vocal anti-gay position (amongst others) and see how long it takes for the college to threaten you with explosion. Give that campus precedent some time and it will seep into the general population.

The only reason local governments can override given provisions is due to the fact it hasn't been successfully litigated yet. In fact NYC is currently being sued, but the courts are dragging their feet.

Now when it comes to restrictions on free speech, in my opinion College/University would be well within its authority to expel a student who vocalizes on intolerance towards any other students, regardless of the context. One is free to protest outside the campus setting though. Think of it as of coming to my party and screaming how you hate the guts of some other guest of mine...

I doubt it happened, but even if it did at least they did not poop on police cars and completely trash cities. Do you really want to compare TP demonstrators to those on your side?

The University of Washington poll of registered voters in Washington State found that 74% of Tea Party supporters agreed with the statement "[w]hile equal opportunity for blacks and minorities to succeed is important, it's not really the government's job to guarantee it", while a CBS/New York Times poll found that 25% think that the administration favors blacks over whites, compared with just 11% of the general public, and that they are more likely to believe Obama was born outside the United States.[82][88][89] A seven state study conducted from the University of Washington found that Tea Party movement supporters within those states were "more likely to be racially resentful" than the population as a whole, even when controlling for partisanship and ideology.[90][91] Of white poll respondents who strongly approve of the Tea Party, only 35% believe that blacks are hard-working, compared to 55% of those strongly opposed to the Tea Party, and 40% of all respondents.[92][93] However, analysis done by ABC News' Polling Unit found that views on race "are not significant predictors of support for the Tea Party movement" because they are typical of whites who are very conservative.[94][95]

See, Tea Party is not racist. It's the Conservatives who are :D

Generally I think the difference in form of protest is a factor of age demographics, and is not directly connected to the political goals. Here is the comparison :

Tea Party
Several polls have been conducted on the demographics of the movement. Though the various polls sometimes turn up slightly different results, they tend to show that Tea Party supporters are mainly white and slightly more likely to be male, married, older than 45, more conservative than the general population, and likely to be more wealthy and have more education.[76][77][78][79][80]

Occupy
Early on the protesters were mostly young, in part due to their pronounced use of social networks through which they promoted the protests.[55][56] As the protest grew, older protesters also became involved.[57] The average age of the protesters is 33, with people in their 20s balanced by people in their 40s.[58] Various religious faiths have been represented at the protest including Muslims, Jews, and Christians.[59][60] On October 10 the Associated Press reported that "there's a diversity of age, gender and race" at the protest.[57]

According to a survey of Zuccotti Park protesters by the Baruch College School of Public Affairs published on October 19, of 1,619 web respondents, 1/3 were older than 35, half were employed full-time, 13% were unemployed and 13% earned over $75,000. 27.3% of the respondents called themselves Democrats, 2.4% called themselves Republicans, while the rest, 70%, called themselves independents.[62]

Racially, the majority of participants are White, with one study based on survey responses at OccupyWallStreet.org reporting 81.2% White, 7.6% Other, 6.8% Hispanic, 2.8% Asian, and 1.6% Black.[63][64]

Apparently you do want to compare "movements". You are using polling data (source?), I'll use common sense:

Tea Party
Normal Americans that are tired of being taxed to death and want a smaller federal government.

Occupy
Spoiled brats, hippie wannabes, anarchists, and homeless people, all wanting to be part of something where the goal can change to whatever wins depending on the argument.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top