JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, I went out today and put the Taurus TCP and the Ruger LCP side by side and gave them the once over.

I am almost ashamed to admit that I like the Taurus better. Here is why...

Build material: The TCP felt more substantial, the slide was stainless which made it feel better made than the LCP slide, and I thought the polymer on the TCP felt less plastic like and slick than it did on the LCP.

Appearance: I thought the TCP just looked nicer. I liked the stainless slide a lot. I did like the shape of the LCP a little better but it had kind of a cheap look to it overall.

Comfort: The TCP just felt better in my hand. The slightly longer grip frame allowed me to get two full fingers on it opposed to the "almost two fingers" on the LCP. The extra tang at the back of the TCP also felt better in my hand.

Mechanics: I preferred the TCP here also. I like how the slide locks back when the magazine is empty and I thought the trigger on the TCP was lighter and smoother than the trigger on the LCP. I also felt that the slide moved more fluidly on the TCP.

Overall Quality: In the end I had to chose the TCP over the LCP. I just liked almost everything about it better. When stripping both I did not see any substantial differences internally. They both seemed pretty well put together for what they are. The kicker was when I discovered the TCP was not made in Brazil ike other Taurus guns. It is made right here in the USA. Maybe that is why it seems a little better made than some other Taurus.

Like I said, I am almost ashamed to admit I chose a Taurus over a Ruger, but I have actually never had a bad experience with any Taurus I have owned (even though i do not own any now). I have a feeling this gun will be no exception. Besides, since it is a gift for my friend, I will never have to be seen shooting it anyway. :D

738SS_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, man! Funny coincidence, I was gonna do a compare/contrast of these 2 myself for a friend. Though my own ccw is a Ruger, just based on price & the fact that the slide locks back I'd been thinking that the Taurus would be a better choice for what my buddy wants... I'm gonna send him a link to this thread. And it is cool that they're both (TCP and LCP) made in the U.S., so I might have to get a TCP myself too after all. I've been seeing them for crazy good prices. Daaaaang yoooooou Pennnnnguinnnnnn!! :p

Were I in the market for one of these guns (I am not) the deciding factor would be which company offered the better customer service in the event that the gun needed to go back for repair. On that basis alone, the LCP or the KelTec 3AT would be far better options than the Taurus.

ruger is definantly a better quality firearm. as far as taurus is concerned, you can polish a turd all you want but it is still a POS. with all the taurus firearms I have owned I have never owned one that I didnt have to send back for repairs. if you want to trust your life on the TCP thats your choice.

ruger is definantly a better quality firearm. as far as taurus is concerned, you can polish a turd all you want but it is still a POS. with all the taurus firearms I have owned I have never owned one that I didnt have to send back for repairs. if you want to trust your life on the TCP thats your choice.

It seems lately that Ruger has had more quality recalls than any other manufacturer. When you stripped and inspected the TCP what was your impression?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top