JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got up early on Saturday morning and headed down to Tri County to apply for membership and to my surprise was turned down before even getting in the parking lot. It was a mad house, cars lined up on Tonquin Rd just to get in the property. They were only taking in 100 members a month and that quota filled up quick. I had emailed staff there inquiring about membership and was told be there at 9 am, I should have been smarter like the folk before me and got there at 7. I was told March would be the last time they will take in memberships this year, as they will hit their membership limit. It was very disappointing, I was really looking forward to taking my son there for some target practice. I guess I'll have to keep looking for another range to join.

My next spot would have been Douglas Ridge, but man that haul from Beaverton. I think for a safe place to bring my son shooting, its worth the drive.

are you looking for a rifle range, or pistol? If you're only shooting handguns and IIRC, .22lrs - it's hard to beat the Public Safety Training Center in Clackamas for a local range. The biggest draw back is buying ammo from them - but the range is clean, well ventilated and lit, and they have range rentals if you want to try a gun you don't own out. You don't have to be a member, but there is a discount for members. The other draw back is that, because it's also the training range for CCSO and some other police agencies, sometimes you can't shoot because an agency is doing quals (rare though, because the po-po have their own bays within the range).

I'm looking to shoot rifles and wanted to get my son into some distance shooting, anything over 25 yards. I am a member of beaver creek armory, but there's no real challenge there.

Douglas Ridge is taking new members last I heard. I was part of last months orientation that put them over the 1,000 member mark. Apparently a lot of other people had the same idea I did, at about the same time. If you are interested I would contact them soon. As with all things gun related right now, people are joining clubs/associations like crazy. I don't know if they close membership at a certain number or not. I am enjoying my time there, but I hear you on an hour drive, that is the main reason I never looked into TCGC. However, Douglas Ridge does offer what you are looking for.

I know MKTactical has tried for years to raise enough capital to build an indoor pistol and rifle range in Hillsboro. He needs partners, and there lies the rub. Maybe now there will be enough motivation?

I know MKTactical has tried for years to raise enough capital to build an indoor pistol and rifle range in Hillsboro. He needs partners, and there lies the rub. Maybe now there will be enough motivation?

In his email newsletter it said coming up in march he will be doing pistol classes in forest grove. It didn't say exactly where, but maybe he's finally making progress.

Northwestern Oregon has a serious lack of gun ranges. I am shocked to hear that Tri County is maxing out. A few years ago when I was a member it was a very easy stroll and you could join anytime you want. I am surprised all the sudden they have had such a surge in membership. It must have to do with the growing pains of Portland. Portland is just growing and growing and people from all over are moving there. The traffic in Portland now is worse than Seattle, as Portland has very little city planning compared to Seattle.

They told me I could re-instate my membership anytime, as it is in sleep mode, since I no longer live there. I really love the action range at Tri County where I Can draw shoot and do what I like. That is one thing I hate about Seattle now. Every range here they have such a large set of draconian rules and nobody will let me do practical pistol style shooting, so now I am stuck probably driving 2-3 hours to join the Wenatchee gun range or look for a place in the forest where I can practice these skills.

Northwestern Oregon has a serious lack of gun ranges. I am shocked to hear that Tri County is maxing out. A few years ago when I was a member it was a very easy stroll and you could join anytime you want. I am surprised all the sudden they have had such a surge in membership. It must have to do with the growing pains of Portland. Portland is just growing and growing and people from all over are moving there. The traffic in Portland now is worse than Seattle, as Portland has very little city planning compared to Seattle.

They told me I could re-instate my membership anytime, as it is in sleep mode, since I no longer live there. I really love the action range at Tri County where I Can draw shoot and do what I like. That is one thing I hate about Seattle now. Every range here they have such a large set of draconian rules and nobody will let me do practical pistol style shooting, so now I am stuck probably driving 2-3 hours to join the Wenatchee gun range or look for a place in the forest where I can practice these skills.

The cap was 5000 members, then went to 5500, with the sudden gun craze, you can imagine flux of folks, i like the cap, i like it better at 5000, its a club, not public range. We have too many people there already that don't know how to shot and messing up the place

The cap was 5000 members, then went to 5500, with the sudden gun craze, you can imagine flux of folks, i like the cap, i like it better at 5000, its a club, not public range. We have too many people there already that don't know how to shot and messing up the place

...bad grammar, lack of punctuation and capitalization.

I'm a former member of DRRC and currently belong to TCGC. I only changed clubs because I moved from SE PDX to Hillsboro.

But seriously, TCGC is a very nice facility and the range nazis have mellowed out over the past year. DRRC is a nice place to shoot and much mellower than TCGC.

H

It'll be great if MKtactical would open a range in Hillsboro, or any other range on the west side for that matter. I agree that the ranges should have limits on membership, but when there's no where else to go within a reasonable drive then there is my issue.

...bad grammar, lack of punctuation and capitalization.

I'm a former member of DRRC and currently belong to TCGC. I only changed clubs because I moved from SE PDX to Hillsboro.

But seriously, TCGC is a very nice facility and the range nazis have mellowed out over the past year. DRRC is a nice place to shoot and much mellower than TCGC.

H

Sorry about that, I am from North Carolina so I know old english, plus did not know i was in English class, thanks for pointing out I am stupid....thanks for pointing that out..........whatever, thanks for taking a forum that seriously.......

Remember that almost all ranges allow non members to shoot matches. You can practice at your local range, maybe at some facility that isn't perfect for your kind of shooting, then shoot matches at TCGC or anywhere. Cost is usually $5 or so per match. As long as safety is followed, they rarely laugh at you.

That mad-house describes just about anything "Outdoors" in Oregon; I see the same pattern occurring over and over whether its a powder-delivery day at B-Mart, the boat ramp in Tillamook Bay, the 101 bridge & Salmon River, hunting ducks on Sauvie Island, waiting for a beer at the Pelican Pub (Pacific City), even some of the simple trail-heads are crowded beyond my belief during the week (doesn't anyone work in this state?). :s0114:

Based on my 12 lucky-blessed years as an Oregon resident, I believe the crowds are because we are channeled/restricted out of the once-open areas and into highly controlled areas.

I've watched the shooting areas (trash-piles) becoming consolidated in the Trask unit as Weyerhaeuser began installing their gates (2004 I think). I used to be able to drive from Diamond Lake to MT Hood on gravel roads; the list of closures goes on and on my friend.

With that expressed, I think driving two hours to find a safe place to shoot is well-worth it! Why? I live less than ten minutes from a "shooting area", but I still drive another hour towards the coast to shoot because there are areas being used by leaner & cleaner crowds.

From Beaverton; take HWY 8 to HWY 6, drive towards Tillamook and take a left at Browns Camp, drive South for @ two miles, there are some OHV riders in the area from time to time, but its a good place (with a berm) to shoot.

Stop for lunch at the burger joint you will pass at the West end of Forest Grove.

The last couple of years TCGC had a membership deal at the Sportsman Show, I am wondering if they will take memberships there again this year?

The last couple of years TCGC had a membership deal at the Sportsman Show, I am wondering if they will take memberships there again this year?

TCGC has never had any sort of membership deals anywhere at any time.
I have doubts there will be any new members after the February new member day, at last count there were 131 spots left.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top