JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
TRADED PLEASE LOCK THREAD

I just sold my 45s to get some other stuff.
So I was contemplating a Contender,a Blackhawk and a 40 carry gun.
Went into a shop in PA and they had all three sitting there.
Dammit,I had cash too.
Guy starts in with "Well if you buy it today...."
So I did. Carry gun was a XD40,then a 44mag SBH,and a Contender in 17 rem

So I'm wondering where I can find some deals on barrels for this,and what are some cool calibers for it?
I was given 300rnds of brass with the gun too.I don't reload,so I'll have to figure something out there.
The barrels I'm thinking on are a 223 and a 410/45lc

And is the 17 rem worth bothering with,or is it a great round?

Thanks.

Contenders are great guns. I'm sorry to see them phased out by S&W. You can get the triggers down to scary light.

They are fairly common for shooting silhouette competition. Accurate out past 200m. You might look into a set of Bomar sights if yours still has the factory TC sights. It's worth the upgrade.

You do not want to dry fire a contender. You can open the breech and close it again to get a partial cock that will give you the same trigger pull as pulling the hammer back and that is safe to do.

I've had good luck finding barrels at gun shows.

Little trivia for you: the bad guy in Hard Target (Van Damme movie) used a contender :cool:

I knew a guy from somewhere near Austin Nevada that used a TC in 17 rem to shoot coyotes for their pelts - perfect if you don't want a big hole out the back side. Tiny little hole on the way in - completely exploded on the inside with a few small pin holes out the far side leaving the heart and lungs an unidentifiable blob of gelatinous ooze.

Nice.

And yes I do know the bad guy had the TC in that movie.
Cool but still kinda too macho.Get a wheel gun or semi auto

I talked to a guy today whose friend had a rifle in 17 rem.He dusted varmints quite regularly with it.I would imagine a perfect heart shot on a yote at around 100 yds would destroy the heart
Oh and the TC Encore forum has a Contender section too.
Just found that one today.

I just got into Contenders myself. I picked up a 14" 223 bbl G2 contender. I shot it last weekend for the 1st time. horrible conditions & I still managed a respectable 100 yrd group. A pleasure to shoot. I've learned alot from Greybeard outdoors website. they have a contenders forum & a contenders classified, that is filled with bbls for sale. good luck, Mike.

Here is a great site for all T/C Contender or Encore owners: Mike Bellm Custom TCs
Mike Bellm specializes in the T/C single shots: he apprenticed with P.O. Ackley and KNOWS his stuff. Reading in his extensive site will educate you in the details of obtaining maximum accuracy in this platform. There is a forum for listing barrells and such there, also.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top