JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As we all know Tazers are available to the general public for a price.

Question: If someone were to come at you with a tazer and you are a conceal carry holder would it be considered self defense .

I would consider someone coming at me with a Taser no different than someone coming at me with a ball bat or a knife and would respond accordingly. You can argue disparity of force I guess, but once someone tases you, you are at their mercy. I would not assume they would stop at tasing me.

i wouldn't call it as clear cut as my man coug argues above, but it definitely CAN be cause for deadly force, and for the reason he lists. it's no different than any other scenario you could come up with, in that it's going to depend entirely on the way the situation presents itself. does he have a full blown LE x26 Co2-propelled barb unit, or just one of those gay little contact units? the contact units hurt, but they DONT have the incapacitation potential of the Co2 units, and if that were the only weapon he had, i really don't think i could see a situation where it'd be appropriate to shoot.

I would consider someone coming at me with a Taser no different than someone coming at me with a ball bat or a knife and would respond accordingly. You can argue disparity of force I guess, but once someone tases you, you are at their mercy. I would not assume they would stop at tasing me.

I agree 100%. Not only do you not know if they'll stop tasing you, but what other intentions might they have once you're at their mercy? (I know, it's an obvious statement). But just think, are they after your gun? So they could then use that on you? Are they going to just continuously shock you? Are they going to incapacitate you and then beat or sexually assault you? (Some people are really sick in the head). Are they just after your wallet? As Coug suggested, you don't know what their deal is. I would not hesitate to consider that a threat of death or serious bodily harm.

i wouldn't call it as clear cut as my man coug argues above, but it definitely CAN be cause for deadly force, and for the reason he lists. it's no different than any other scenario you could come up with, in that it's going to depend entirely on the way the situation presents itself. does he have a full blown LE x26 Co2-propelled barb unit, or just one of those gay little contact units? the contact units hurt, but they DONT have the incapacitation potential of the Co2 units, and if that were the only weapon he had, i really don't think i could see a situation where it'd be appropriate to shoot.

You posted that at the exact same time I was writing my post. I didn't think about the contact units. That might be reason to give pause.

You posted that at the exact same time I was writing my post. I didn't think about the contact units. That might be reason to give pause.

most of the "tasers" kids and criminals are running around with are contact only.. cheap, readily available. i don't think it's illegal to own an x26 as a non-LEO civilian, but good luck trying to get a hold of one.

I see your point, but I have had heart problems and getting tased might mean lights out for me. I'm not going to wait and see what happens. As far as determining what kind of unit he has, I'm not going to wait to find out either.

You do make a good point that each situation is going to present itself differently. My decision on whether or not to employ deadly force would be different for someone 10 yards away than someone 10 feet away.

I love armchair quarterbacking and that's not directed at you BKB, it's directed at me. :s0114:

While Tasers were once pushed as a self defense only, non lethal device, they unfortunately de-evolved into being used as a compliance and torture device.

While Tasers were once pushed as a self defense only, non lethal device, they unfortunately de-evolved into being used as a compliance and torture device by police. Cops too lazy to subdue a 90 lb lady can happily go about inflicting unnecessary extreme pain. Hundreds of examples of this happening, but no policy changes because of the BS explanation of it being necessary. I have cop friends I argue with about it and they have all drank the Kool Aid and believe using it as a compliance device is just fine. Most people have watched too many episodes of Cops and believe that it is perfectly fine to tazer people at will when they pose no threat.

As far as a perp using a taser I would take appropriate measures to prevent that if all possible. Use it on me and you better pray the battery never runs dry.

For personal defense, real tasers are available for the right price of course. Just be aware that most leave traceable S/N ID on the prongs so cops can trace it back to you.

agreed. it's BS. i've been tased (training, i'm not a crook), and it's truly indescribable pain. i opted for a full 5 seconds, and with optimal placement from left shoulder to right kidney... wanted to know what somebody shot on the street gets. cops have to get tased to get taser certified, at least in some, if not all, agencies... but i swear it's different arm-locked with 6 other cops. also, they're only required, as far as i've seen, to take a 2 second zap. a deployed taser lasts 5 seconds minimum, longer at the discretion of the user, and with good placement across the torso, it's 5 seconds in hello.

and policies within every agency i've had anything to do with is that the taser is basically one step above a shove on the use-of-force continuum... less than the ASP, less than pepper, less than a headlock, tackle, choke-hold, arm-bar, whatever, and etc, etc. in other words- these officers are being trained to tase BEFORE using any of these other less painful techniques. passive resistance is perfectly taseable. stand still when told to get on the ground, you'll be tased. stay on your knees with your hands in the air because you're terrified of being SHOT because you have a firearm on your hip, you'll be tased.

i can't imagine what the future holds, when we're all linked to a grid via implants/etc. i'm sure SCOTUS will be A-OK with officers using remote-control pain compliance transmitters on anybody who gets "out of line."

I have been tased twice in my life. Once was in training and the other was when a "friend" thought it would be funny to taser me from behind at a party. I will have to disagree that the contact ones do no more than just sting. It knocked me off my feet and I am over 200lbs. Therefore I would indeed feel justified in using my firearm to defend myself from a stranger attacking me with a taser.

Back in my misspent youth I was a portland cop for about a year. We didn't have tasers at the time and it wasn't really considered cool to use pepper or the asp. You got in there and wrestled them to the ground and cuffed them. Preferably with other officers. :) I see all these tasings and even some shootings which make me think "doesn't anyone know how to fight anymore...?" :(

On the flip side, I think the reason for the increased use of tasers is because it is easy to use, its not visually upsetting to witnesses as the guy goes stiff and falls down, and, last but not least, when officers get hurt, it costs the dept money. Workman's comp, insurance, health care etc and the officer just not wanting to get hurt has motivated departments to lessen the penalty for using a taser versus say an asp. Getting in there and grabbing something seems almost passe these days... :(

Anyway, thats my rant on use of force, I've been there done that but it was so long ago I may not understand the situation fully anymore so I concede to those current officers who have more recent information.

As to the OP's question. Given its potential to leave me helpless, I consider it potential deadly force or a disparity of force situation and would use deadly force.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top