JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've browsed around here before... and thought I would officially say hello. And now that my taxes are filed, I can go back to looking at the pretty S&W's and developing hand loads... Thanks for putting the site up, and thanks for all the posts. I'm still learning (who isn't) and enjoying it.

Now if I could just find some 296 in-stock somewhere! Clays, TrailBoss and AA#9 have been keeping me entertained, though. I do have some 110 with mag primers - working up the my expertise before I try some of that. 629 is a fine piece of machinery.

Now if I could just find some 296 in-stock somewhere! Clays, TrailBoss and AA#9 have been keeping me entertained, though. I do have some 110 with mag primers - working up the my expertise before I try some of that. 629 is a fine piece of machinery.

W296 and H110 load up very similar. Some people claim they are the same. Not quite. I have 2 lbs of 296 that I keep in my safe as trophies, but I have been using Unique because I have a bunch of it. running out of primers though. I have a 9" super red hawk. I love it almost as much as my Marlin '94 .44, but the super red hawk is more like a truck compared to your sports car.

I feel ya on the Redhawk. That's a nice piece, too... er... truck. I've got an '80 Marlin in .44, too. The Marlin eats up pretty much anything that the S&W will take, too. Although I've read about keeping velocities under a certain point, so the micro-groove rifling on the Marlin doesn't slip, and the boolits go all sideways. So far so good, even with the AA#9 at around 1300fps.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome wagon.

I wouldn't worry about slipping on micro-grooves unless you are loading hard cast lead. With cast, they need to be a little over-sized and water quenched. I think I remember .432-.433 bullet size usually works best. My '94 is a newer one. On the 44 and other large bore, they went back to ballard style rifling in the late 1990s. Everything I have read about the marlin 94 said they like 240gr bullets best if you like jacketed, but I can't resist putting a few 300s through it. My truck... er Ruger likes the hot heavies. I won't tell you how much 296 I was using.:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top