Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Taxes are done!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dynaboy, Apr 16, 2013.

1. dynaboy

dynaboy Seattle New Member

I've browsed around here before... and thought I would officially say hello. And now that my taxes are filed, I can go back to looking at the pretty S&W's and developing hand loads... Thanks for putting the site up, and thanks for all the posts. I'm still learning (who isn't) and enjoying it.

2. spitball

spitball Steilacoom Member

Welcome and the .44MAG 629 with 24.6grs of W296 IS the definition of beauty :)

3. dynaboy

Now if I could just find some 296 in-stock somewhere! Clays, TrailBoss and AA#9 have been keeping me entertained, though. I do have some 110 with mag primers - working up the my expertise before I try some of that. 629 is a fine piece of machinery.

4. Squidly

Squidly Sandy Active Member

W296 and H110 load up very similar. Some people claim they are the same. Not quite. I have 2 lbs of 296 that I keep in my safe as trophies, but I have been using Unique because I have a bunch of it. running out of primers though. I have a 9" super red hawk. I love it almost as much as my Marlin '94 .44, but the super red hawk is more like a truck compared to your sports car.

5. dynaboy

I feel ya on the Redhawk. That's a nice piece, too... er... truck. I've got an '80 Marlin in .44, too. The Marlin eats up pretty much anything that the S&W will take, too. Although I've read about keeping velocities under a certain point, so the micro-groove rifling on the Marlin doesn't slip, and the boolits go all sideways. So far so good, even with the AA#9 at around 1300fps.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome wagon.

6. Squidly

Squidly Sandy Active Member

I wouldn't worry about slipping on micro-grooves unless you are loading hard cast lead. With cast, they need to be a little over-sized and water quenched. I think I remember .432-.433 bullet size usually works best. My '94 is a newer one. On the 44 and other large bore, they went back to ballard style rifling in the late 1990s. Everything I have read about the marlin 94 said they like 240gr bullets best if you like jacketed, but I can't resist putting a few 300s through it. My truck... er Ruger likes the hot heavies. I won't tell you how much 296 I was using.:rolleyes:

7. fredball

fredball Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard:thumbup: