JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Finally ..... A Sensible Gun Registration Plan That Will Work

Vermont State Rep Fred Maslack has read the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, as well as Vermont 's own Constitution very carefully, and his strict interpretation of these documents is popping some eyeballs in New England and elsewhere.

Maslack recently proposed a bill to register "non-gun-owners" and require them to pay a $500 fee to the state. Thus, Vermont would become the first state to require a permit for the luxury of going about unarmed and assess a fee of $500 for the privilege of not owning a gun.

Maslack read the "militia" phrase of the Second Amendment as not only affirming the right of the individual citizen to bear arms, but as a clear mandate to do so. He believes that universal gun ownership was advocated by the Framers of the Constitution as an antidote to a "monopoly of force" by the government as well as criminals.

Vermont 's constitution states explicitly that "the people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the State" and those persons who are "conscientiously scrupulous of bearing arms" shall be required to "pay such equivalent." Clearly, says Maslack, Vermonters have a constitutional obligation to arm themselves, so that they are capable of responding to "any situation that may arise."

Under the bill, adults who choose not to own a firearm would be required to register their name, address, Social Security Number, and driver's license number with the state. "There is a legitimate government interest in knowing who is not prepared to defend the state should they be asked to do so," Maslack says.

Vermont already boasts a high rate of gun ownership along with the least restrictive laws of any state. it's currently the only state that allows a citizen to carry a concealed firearm without a permit. This combination of plenty of guns and few laws regulating them has resulted in a crime rate that is the third lowest in the nation.

" America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."

This makes sense! There is no reason why gun owners should have to pay taxes to support police protection for people not wanting to own guns.
Let them contribute their fair share and pay their own way.

Get this in front of all your elected senators and reps...NOW!:s0146:

A friend alerted me to Vermont State Rep Fred Maslack's site....so I just went to his VT site and there it was. I just cut and pasted it. I have no other 'links' to this article.:s0155:

To be fair.

It should only be applied to men who are mentally and physically able to act as militia.

I'd say women too, but that part of the law hasn't caught up with the law.

Can we get this guy to come and run in Oregon?

And the govt. should provide the firearms. I'm all for gun ownership, a non restricted form. But I'm all against the government mandating that you have to buy something whether it be health care or a gun, or you get slammed with taxes.

The article is a bit off. There are a couple states that don't require a concealed carry permit. I know Montana doesn't require one.

I agree...the gob'ment should not dictate what you should buy or not, but to tax those not willing (when able) to protect themselves has a ring of truth in it.

I've done my due diligence and I can find no original source for this information so I'm not going to give it any credibility at this time. This is why I constantly ask for links when information is posted. False info even if it is positive will do our cause no favors.

Correction to 56Kninja: the only two stated to have UNRESTRICTED carry laws are Alaska and Vermont...all other states are either by permit (various requirements) or not allowed at all.

Correction to 56Kninja: the only two stated to have UNRESTRICTED carry laws are Alaska and Vermont...all other states are either by permit (various requirements) or not allowed at all.

I see.

That seems right. I'm just going off a chart which displayed concealed carry laws state to state. Montana was unrestricted, but it may have been old then they now require permits.

good idea. Frame it the same way as the health care debate: People who refuse to carry the means to defend themselves place the burden on the rest of the population. When they get assaulted or murdered, It costs the state more money to apprehend the criminal and incarcerate them than it would to simply investigate and bury the dirty bastard.

People who do not defend themselves effectively place a high burden on the already cash-strapped criminal justice system. They should be made to pay the difference, just like those who would not buy insurance under the new health care proposals.

Almost 10 year old news:

FredMaslackGunTax.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews