Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Tax Stamps Arrived Today

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by jbett98, Sep 20, 2013.

1. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Finally, after five years and $6,600.00 it's finally settled.

For those of you who haven't followed my adventures in the legal ramifications involving full auto machine guns, I will bring this up to date.

My best friend passed away in 08.

He included me in his living will/trust and I am to receive his FA guns after his wife passes away.

He owned a full auto Thompson, a Mac 11, plus a 9mm Bowers suppressor. All had legal tax stamps in his name.

I take care of his elderly widow (she was 74 at his demise) and he named her as sole beneficiary in his will/trust.

The will/trust was poorly written and didn't specify anything regarding the machine guns.

It read as follows "wife gets guns".

That alone caused a lot of issues and the fact that she didn't want to deal with transferring the NFA items into her name within one year of inheriting them, caused a lot more headaches. And when I finally got her to deal with them four years later, the damage was done.

We hired a lawyer up in Kirkland, WA to help us, because after the first year of doing nothing regarding transferring the tax stamped items into her name, she became a felon in the ATBF's eyes.

The lawyers solution was to open an Oregon state probate, and have her declared as the true owner of the NFA items.

Ten months later we had to deal with one mis-printed number on the Thompson's Form 4 before the ATBF finally approved all of the paperwork.

The lesson here is to get a gun trust that holds water and not to use a lawyer to draw up papers who is not well versed in FA firearms and tax stamp legalities.

My hats off to Dennis Brislawn of the NW Gun Trust Group.

Without his expertise, the ATBF would have confiscated all three items and destroyed them. Plus, who knows what fines the widow would have had to pay if they decided to press charges.

usagi, Synnergy, BoonDocks36 and 10 others like this.
  2. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Wow, that's an ordeal. I know having a valid trust and clear beneficiaries are important. I was thinking of restating my trust using their silver version to deal with NFA items in the trust instead of a will.

ocarolan and (deleted member) like this.
  3. jbett98

To celebrate, I am buying a 1000 rds of .45 acp from a member here, so I can take the Tommy out to my friends farm and do a little rock & roll with it.
    You can't believe how hard it is to have the these guns within arms reach and not be able to play with them for over five years.
    They just sat in the gun safe, all the while I didn't know if the ATBF would come knocking on her door ready to confiscate them.
    It helped that Dennis Brislawn knows some of the higher ups at the ATBF and could explain to them her situation and get their advise on how to proceed in unraveling the mess she caused by not taking care of business in a timely manner.

4. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

I loved the FA Tommy I shot. One of my favorites. Enjoy. :)

5. PopsBdog

PopsBdog Southern Oregon Active Member

Wow, It is really good you worked it out.
    The guns are saved, she doesn't get in trouble, and you get to shoot some cool guns.
    That is just great.:laugh: Yeah Dawg! :thumbup:

orygun and (deleted member) like this.
  6. ocarolan

ocarolan Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

Nice! Gun safe? A chicago typewriter needs its own special case. :)

Thompson_in_violin_case.jpg

7. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

There is only one gun on my wish list, and now you have one. A full auto Thompson has to be the coolest thing ever. Ever. Period. End of story.

Glad you got it all worked out, you Lucky SOB!:thumbup:

$6,600 is not chump change, but what a bargain for the Thompson alone.

Post up some pics, or maybe a short video for us super envious ones to drool over, would you?

Did I say I was super envious?

PopsBdog and (deleted member) like this.
  8. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

Awesome! I do remember you mentioning this case in the past. With the price/valuation of FA weapons - you are still ahead even after spending the money.

Congrats on getting it done!

9. jbett98

The lady I take care of has picked up the tab on this.
    She has been more then generous towards me with her late husbands firearms collection.
    One thing that came about this whole mess, was that their living trusts were not constructed very well and she is now making sure that all is in order concerning the assets that her husband left to me and her children.
    I really am fortunate, and every time I take out these toys, I will think of my late friend.

akmewon, BoonDocks36, orygun and 3 others like this.
  10. Synnergy

Synnergy Oregon Member

pictures/videos or it didn't happen! :)

11. jbett98

Comes with one 50rd NY drum and five stick mags. Plus three ammo boxes of ammo.

Thompson gun 1 002.jpg

Thompson gun 1 007.jpg

12. j4545

j4545 WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Now that sir....is AWESOME!!!!

Dennis Brislawn has been a very valuable resource for NFA items here in WA.

13. jbett98

Dennis reminds me of the lawyer on Breaking Bad "Saul Goodman". He doesn't come cheap, but he does deliver the goods.

14. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

"Like" doesn't cover this. I LOVE that gun! Too freakin cool.

15. jbett98

Sitting right next to it is a mint, unfired Vietnam War commemorative semi-auto Thompson all pimped up in gold engraving and a new in box
    Springfield Socom 16 .308.

16. FullCaliberII

FullCaliberII Pierce County, WA Active Member

I'm sure your late friend is looking down on you with a huge smile as he sees you putting in work with that Thompson. Good choice to put in the work with the lawyer so his gift didnt get wasted.
    I had the chance to shoot one in Vegas (of course) at a rental range... coolest gun. Ever.

17. jbett98

I'm watching some You Tube video's on how to dis-assemble and lube this. It looks fairly simple. The tricky part is loading the 50 rd drum. There is some considerable weight when it's fully loaded. Just waiting for the rain to stop long enough so I can take it out to my friends farm.
    Years ago, he took it to the Albany Machine Gun Shoot and let anyone that wanted to shoot it for free, just to see the smile on their faces after ripping through the 50 rd drum.