JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got to take one of those Black cards when I was running my photo business. My Amex is just the cheapo Blue one that I used to finance my wedding (0% for a year deal). I just hold onto it to pad my CC utilization.
Should've saved the 0% to finance the divorce.

(I'm kidding - good luck!)

The whole thing is very odd. I can see virtue signaling about firearms, don't agree but we've all seen corporations unable to resist the urge to bloviate about one social justice issue or another. What I don't get is prescription drugs and devices. Are they saying that I can't use a Capitol One card at the drug store to pay for my prescriptions? What about CPAP supplies and durable medical equipment? I've been using easy pay for prescriptions for a long time and there has never been an issue.

Then there is the issue of the Cabelas card. Makes zero sense to me.

Bummer. Looks like they will lose some customers.

It would be black if you were rich, the snob part is optional.
So, my friends and I have permission, due to our friendship, to unconditionally harass each other in good fun. It's hard for me to accept that the statement I responded to was in "good fun"...it seemed fairly pejorative to me. Making blanket statements denigrating others based on something as obscure as the type of credit card they carry is truly genius... I'll stick by my opinion that good service in any business is valuable when the alternative is no service for "free". If that makes me a snob then we are using different dictionaries...

So, my friends and I have permission, due to our friendship, to unconditionally harass each other in good fun. It's hard for me to accept that the statement I responded to was in "good fun"...it seemed fairly pejorative to me. Making blanket statements denigrating others based on something as obscure as the type of credit card they carry is truly genius... I'll stick by my opinion that good service in any business is valuable when the alternative is no service for "free". If that makes me a snob then we are using different dictionaries...
Not clear on what you are saying, but if I read it one way, you think that I am harassing or slighting you? Sorry, not the case.

American Express produces a "Black" card. All the men I know who carry them have net worths in excess of $10M and high six figure incomes or greater to boot. As I understand from one friend who has one, he can walk into the Ferrari dealership, pay with his black card and drive out. Mind you, he pays more in property tax on his house per month than I pay for PITI on my house each year. He's also not a snob (well, at least not to me) and one of the most compassionate people I know.

As far as "snob part optional", wasn't calling you one at all. In everything in life, arrogance, snobbishness, elitism are all states of mind, and being any of them is a choice.

I wonder if you have some type of travel or location lock on your credit card. I used to work in retail finance and our credit union was very protective of their members.

For instance, if you went to a farmers market, guess what!? Half of those vendors are from Washington, eastern Oregon and southern. So when you are swiping your card it makes it look like you are traveling and being present in all these places and the card would decline the transactions.

Looking at OPs username location, says Bonney Lake, WA, the ATF office that keys in your card number is in Portland, OR.

It could be the case.

As for their prohibited purchase details listed in the above post, they never declined my transactions and I use my card at places that say FIREARM in their business name.

I would check to see if OP has an aggressive travel feature on your CC that you don't know is activated or not.

Not clear on what you are saying, but if I read it one way, you think that I am harassing or slighting you? Sorry, not the case.

American Express produces a "Black" card. All the men I know who carry them have net worths in excess of $10M and high six figure incomes or greater to boot. As I understand from one friend who has one, he can walk into the Ferrari dealership, pay with his black card and drive out. Mind you, he pays more in property tax on his house per month than I pay for PITI on my house each year. He's also not a snob (well, at least not to me) and one of the most compassionate people I know.

As far as "snob part optional", wasn't calling you one at all. In everything in life, arrogance, snobbishness, elitism are all states of mind, and being any of them is a choice.

It is not relative to income that they make, its what they SPEND.

Of course the income is related because they have to make payments to this card line of credit but its really related to how much you spend in 12 months and if you wish to pay the crazy annual fee and initiation fee.

The perks are excellent for people who travel and do a lot of dining and retail purchases, which is what this elite tier of retail lending is related to.

I ran my family's restaurant for 10 years and in 36 months racked up about $750k in spending, which averaged $250k a year and AMEX was HOUNDING me to sign up. As much as that little club in LAX that has the free food and booze seems tempting, during those 10 years I never left the city of Hillsboro and never traveled because I was working my butt off.

My very first credit card, coming out of college, was an AMEX card. I thought I "had arrived" when it came in the mail.
Got rid of it within 10 years when they wanted such a hearty annual fee and hardly anyone wanted to take it anymore, and other cards had no annual fees.
Mine too! I thought man, I am part of the elite! :D I lost it in a bankruptcy caused by divorce. I had $0.00 owed on it and Amex said, too bad, so sad, we cancel you. I thought that was bubblegumty since I did not even include them in the bk. :rolleyes:

This is strange. I have had two tax stamps paid with a capital one card. Never had an issue. I guess use a debit card or a prepaid visa, like the ones from target next time?

Well heck, now I feel the Karen-fool...sorry for being so sensitive and reactive, and thanks for responding. I guess I have a chip on my shoulder these days with financial stuff. Been busting my bubblegum in this business for almost thirty-five years and still can't see retirement clearly!

I got rid of my CitiBank and BoA cards a couple of years ago (early 2018) when they came out publicly against the 2A.
A whole helluva lotta places lost my business in the virtue-signalling frenzy following the MSD high school shooting in Parkland, Florida. Phuq 'em! :mad:

Still use US Bank (I buy a lot of 2A stuff with that card) and occasionally Discover (just for the point/cash rebate specials that they routinely offer).

Citi is the card issued through costco now. GB only excepts visa and MC as fee. Payment , I wonder if anyone has had the GB fee charges has ever been declined .

I have had an American Express green card since I started my career in 1986. I have gotten exceptional service from AMX all those years. Not so much from credit card companies and banks. Sometimes you do actually get what you pay for. Rich snob? I don't think so...

AE .is the only way to go but many dont take it , They are top notch service . AE are not only for the rich and can be obtained with no annual fees .

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top