JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used the card for two reasons, to know when they would be working on the stamp and also know they recieved everything. That being said I have two cards from Capitol one, one is a Cabelas card.

This was posted in another group. This really pisses me off on the control. The people with tin foil hats are making more and more sense! No way I want a cashless society!

Prohibited by Capital One terms of service.
Use a different card.

Capital One

The following types of payments are prohibited through the Service, and we have the right but not the obligation to monitor for, block, cancel and/or reverse such payments:

d. Payments related to: (1) tobacco products, (2) prescription drugs and devices; (3) narcotics, steroids, controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety; (4) drug paraphernalia; (5) ammunition, firearms, or firearm parts or related accessories; (6) weapons or knives regulated under applicable law; (7) goods or services that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity;
And yet, they, Capital One, have bought out and sponsor the Cabela's Club Card :s0054:

Me thinks Capital One has a conflict of interest...

Maybe should have used a Visa or MasterCard? They're the biggest players and I bet if Visa did this regularly, a lot of people would leave them. Or American Express if you're a rich snob. Either way, money orders given to the government from the government are probably the way to go in the future
I have had an American Express green card since I started my career in 1986. I have gotten exceptional service from AMX all those years. Not so much from credit card companies and banks. Sometimes you do actually get what you pay for. Rich snob? I don't think so...

I also have a cabela capital one card that I have never been declined on guns or ammo but I see on there policy that you posted also shows tobacco, goods and services, it even says they can decline on tax payments. So it sounds like to me they dont give a bubblegum and give themselves the power to decline anything for whatever reason.

Can you share how you ended up attempting to pay for your tax stamp via credit card on a Form 4? That's new to me - the only time I've used my card to pay for a stamp is on my Form 1's via ATFOnline and never had problems through their portal, nor with my bank (BoA.)
Looks like card payment options were added in 2015.

*Edit - didn't add the link.

You would also know that the ATF is working on it if you wrote them a personal check...
Just go to your online banking site, and look to see when your check cleared.
That would tell you the same thing as seeing the charge hit on your credit card.

I have not had a checkbook in a decade! Until now I saw no reason for it. I was going to get a Certified check from my bank but they do not let you know the status of it.

Can you share how you ended up attempting to pay for your tax stamp via credit card on a Form 4? That's new to me - the only time I've used my card to pay for a stamp is on my Form 1's via ATFOnline and never had problems through their portal, nor with my bank (BoA.)

The current Form 4 has a space (item 23) to by credit card.

With paper forms, I've always done personal check. With eFormed 1s, credit card. Nary a problem with either. (Knock on wood.) :)

I have not had a checkbook in a decade! Until now I saw no reason for it. I was going to get a Certified check from my bank but they do not let you know the status of it.
Am I the only Luddite that still works a checkbook? o_O

Yup, same here. Almost all of my regular bills are handled automatically via electronic banking. I don't even have to remember to pay; it just happens.
I keep the checkbook for paying the lawn-mowing guy, the cat-care woman, friends with whom I buy and sell stuff (if we're not bartering or using cash), those bastids at the IRS and BATF, and for donations (I don't want donation recipients having my electronic banking data). Except for NWFA, of course! Joe can have my e-deets... :D

Last Edited:
I've had Cap1 for years & have won 9 out of 9 disputes with merchants so I'm happy with them.

You're actually paying a Federal Tax, not buying a firearm "or related items" and if I owe Fed or State Taxes I pay with my card just for the points. Their TOS below don't mention you're not allowed to make payments to a specific department within the US Treasury Dept. but at this point it doesn't make any difference.

"Payments related to: .......(5) ammunition, firearms, or firearm parts or related accessories..."

Based on their TOS I couldn't buy a scope, mount, etc. Stupid.

Hey, C'mon man. I ain't no rich snob just cause I got me an Amex.

I guess a poor snob, then.
My very first credit card, coming out of college, was an AMEX card. I thought I "had arrived" when it came in the mail.
Got rid of it within 10 years when they wanted such a hearty annual fee and hardly anyone wanted to take it anymore, and other cards had no annual fees.

My very first credit card, coming out of college, was an AMEX card. I thought I "had arrived" when it came in the mail.
Got rid of it within 10 years when they wanted such a hearty annual fee and hardly anyone wanted to take it anymore, and other cards had no annual fees.
I got to take one of those Black cards when I was running my photo business. My Amex is just the cheapo Blue one that I used to finance my wedding (0% for a year deal). I just hold onto it to pad my CC utilization.

I got to take one of those Black cards when I was running my photo business. My Amex is just the cheapo Blue one that I used to finance my wedding (0% for a year deal). I just hold onto it to pad my CC utilization.
You had the black AMEX? Wow, you really were a rich snob, then, huh? :s0140:

:s0111:

I had the "lowly" green card as my first card out of university. :D

Last Edited:
You had the black AMEX? Wow, you really were a rich snob, then, huh? :s0140:

:s0111:

I had the "lowly" green card as my first card out of university. :D
Nah, I got to hold it in my hands while I swiped it to charge a parent for their kid's sports photos. Then I had to give it back.

Nah, I got to hold it in my hands while I swiped it to charge a parent for their kid's sports photos. Then I had to give it back.
Ya got me! :s0140:

ETA: About 4 years ago, after returning from the Middle East, I had two different card issuers tell me that they were cancelling my cards. I had a $28,000 credit limit with one card and $26,000 with the other, so over $50k limit between the two. In two different phone calls, I asked them both why they were cancelling my card if I was such a good risk. They never came out and said why, but they kept repeating to me that "we could offer the credit that you aren't using to other individuals that would use it."

So I suggested to them the reason they were cancelling my cards was because I always paid them off in full each month, and that they got no interest from me, whereas if they could sucker some other folks into getting behind on their payments by buying sh!t that they couldn't afford, then these two banks would finally be making some money on the $50k+ credit line I wasn't using. There was a long silence, to which I responded, "Ya know what? Why don't you just cancel my card right now, instead of waiting until the end of the month? Yeah, I wanna cancel it right now, and I want a "consumer closed account" note put on my account ledger for the Big 3 reporting agencies. You are not going to put a note in my account ledger that says the card issuer closed the account. No, that sh!t ain't gonna fly."

Checked my credit reports after a couple of months, and sure enough, the notes said "Closed by consumer" on both of those credit cards. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top