JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A Visual Guide to State Taxes

133_bottom-line-170a.jpg

"Kiplinger put together all the data supporting our maps, but we will also reference additional underlying sources where appropriate. Kiplinger's analysis of "tax friendliness" considers a few different categories of taxation, including state taxes on income, property, sales and death. We won't dive into Kiplinger's detailed methodology, but they put each state into one of five categories, ranging from the most to least tax friendly. And just so we are clear, the least tax friendly states have the highest cumulative total tax burdens across all of Kiplinger's categories."

Title made me think "best states to pay taxes for least amount of services" :p :rolleyes:

I mean... okay. When you see "Pet Friendly"; it means places where pets are accepted and encouraged right... same idea here ;)

Should really retitle the keys to "IRS-friendliest" states ;) That puts the red in map states into the top of the list for most taxes for taxpayers to pay... as in best states to be working for the IRS :p

Arizona.... still on the list of possible places for me and mine to move to eventually.

The tax situation is a huge part, if not number one on the list, of why we are looking at an expansion and eventual relocation to Nevada. They have no income tax, though they have a tax on investment income.

S. Dakota

No taxes

Easy to get and maintain an address and residency

However, in Oregon, if you work here, or have a residence here for 6 months or more, or even just intend to return here and maintain a residence, then you pay taxes here, whether you have a residence elsewhere or not. Live in Vancouver and work in Portland? Pay income taxes in Orygun.

I liked WA with regards to taxes - you only paid on what you consumed - although for vehicles it was also for what you used, which was kinda okay, but it is also yearly on the value of the vehicle, which was not okay.

I found moving from Washington to Oregon was a huge pay cut. Having them pull almost 10% from your pay before you even see the money hurts. Groceries are not taxed in either state. The house we bought was smaller and costs more. The gas prices are about the same in both states, so Oregon must tax gas about the same as WA.

It sucks working for 50 cents on the dollar, which is all we get once the state and feds pull their taxes and all of the other deductions from your paycheck and charges on purchases.

Ron

I drove up to visit my folks yesterday. I fill my car in Oregon City, Oregon and noticed the price of Regular was $3.43. I also filled up my car (half tank) in Puyallup, Washington and noticed the price of Regular was 2 cents cheaper ($3.41). I stand by my statement that the prices are about the same in OR and WA. What the chart does not take into account is the fact that in Washington, you pump the gas yourself, but in Oregon, we are not allow to pump the gas, the gas station attendant has to pump your gas. I am thinking that Oregon gas stations maybe raise the price of the gas to help pay the wages of the attendant, where Washington gas stations only needs a cashier, and doesn't need to hire gas attendants.

The taxes charts are nice to look at, but you have to consider other factors. Are there tax exemptions (where one state taxes groceries, while another does not) Are the prices of products higher in one state than in another (as in gas). Are you being taxed at both ends (income and sales). Just a few things to consider as you look at the tax charts.

I drove up to visit my folks yesterday. I fill my car in Oregon City, Oregon and noticed the price of Regular was $3.43. I also filled up my car (half tank) in Puyallup, Washington and noticed the price of Regular was 2 cents cheaper ($3.41). I stand by my statement that the prices are about the same in OR and WA. What the chart does not take into account is the fact that in Washington, you pump the gas yourself, but in Oregon, we are not allow to pump the gas, the gas station attendant has to pump your gas. I am thinking that Oregon gas stations maybe raise the price of the gas to help pay the wages of the attendant, where Washington gas stations only needs a cashier, and doesn't need to hire gas attendants.

The taxes charts are nice to look at, but you have to consider other factors. Are there tax exemptions (where one state taxes groceries, while another does not) Are the prices of products higher in one state than in another (as in gas). Are you being taxed at both ends (income and sales). Just a few things to consider as you look at the tax charts.
Oregon passed a weird law recently saying gas stations in counties with under 40k people didnt need to have 24-7 attendants.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top