JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My girlfriend's brother-in-law showed me his new toy tonight; a Tavor TS12. Never heard of them before. He handed me the cardboard box and I opened it to reveal a bullpup style semi-auto 12ga with a rotating mag tube assembly that allowed 15 rounds of 2 3/4" 12ga ammo, or 12 rounds of 3" ammo. Impressive! I looked it over carefully then shouldered it. It did not shoulder well at all. The top rail did not match up with my line of sight at all. He plans to mount some sort of RDS on it.

He showed me the features and explained how it was his new SHTF/home defense weapon that his wife and 21yr old daughter will use. I found it to be OK in construction and the fit and finish to be on par with a Kel-Tec or Taurus firearm. Seemed a bit clunky but it would be an impressive weapon to repel hordes of zombies or whatever.

I didn't voice any of my concerns with it and figured it was a decent $500 or less weapon with a specific mission in mind. With the the three rotating magazine tubes, you could load one with slugs, one with buckshot, and one with birdshot, essentially being able to choose what projectile that would be most effective for the task at hand.

I have some trepidation in choosing a shotgun for defense; namely limited capacity, overall length, effective rate of fire, and limited ability to select the ideal projectile for the mission. The Tavor seemed to address all those concerns.

Then I asked him what he paid. $1300.

Wait, what? That seemed a bit high for the weapon I was holding. The polymer used for the stock and magazine tubes was lower quality with prominent mold lines visible. The machining was OK but a bit crude. Seemed more in line with a lower quality firearm like a Kel-Tec or Taurus.

It is a unique and revolutionary design, but I just don't see it as being worth more than maybe $600 or $700 dollars.

Anyone else seen these things and honestly think they are a $1300 firearm?

OIP.jpg

It's a gigantic Star wars gun with a hefty price tag. For that kind of money, I'd be much, much more tempted to just bite the bullet and buy a Benelli for a little more. $1300 could have bought a Mossberg for each family member

I think that I have to try one. That price isn't too far out of line, ( dealer is 1120) being able to reload an empty tube while a full one is in play is an attractive quality. Seems like a good concept if it works reliably.

Seriou reminds me of starship troopers.
1605066953852.jpeg
Price wise, ya, that's what they cost.

The Black Aces bullpup is available in a lefty. Friend of mine has one and it is awesome shoots everything light target to slugs. I was amazed how accurate it was @ 100 with slugs.

The Black Aces bullpup is available in a lefty. Friend of mine has one and it is awesome shoots everything light target to slugs. I was amazed how accurate it was @ 100 with slugs.
Yeah - the vids I've seen of that impressed me.

The reason I didn't like my Mossberg 500 bullpup was because it was bulky, heavy and clunky. Thought about the Tavor, but the rotating mag put me off - I would not trust that without a LOT of training, which would only be for that specific weapon.

I have an SRM 1216 that has similar rotating tube magazine with slightly larger capacity (and an even larger price tag). I love the compact design, AR platform, ease of breakdown,/cleaning (thanks to delayed roller blowback), and the fit/finish/balance of this shotgun. Rotating magazine is super easy to operate. Honestly.

Here's what I can offer on the topic of this type of platform: the innovation is meant to increase round capacity while keeping overall length short - I think we can all agree that these are desirable qualities in a HD/CQ situation. For a shotgun, I'm not sure a box-mag-fed design will reliably achieve the objective. Those 10 round mags look enormous and I've been told they are prone to having FTF issues?? Anyone have experience with these and care to weigh-in?

The price tag is a bit high, but IWI is a reputable producer, and higher prices seem to always be the case with design innovation (first adopters usually bear the burden of the R&D). I'd pay that higher price for a Benelli, but they still don't offer anything in a compact, high capacity 12GA platform.

I've been seeing many AR-12 type with 5 and 10rd capacity box mags. While these haven't seemed to address the capacity issue, I appreciate seeing more platform options (especially AR-type!). HOWEVER, so few of them have adjustable stock feature. Shorter LOP (or at least adjustable) would be a fantastic feature for a SG meant for HD/CQ.

My last observation - the TS12 design has an adjustable gas block and allows to feed on the go. My 1216 doesn't, nor do the other AR-type SAS options on the market. That's worth something isn't it?

Thanks for starting this thread, HAVEGUN! I've been wanting to hear more about this one in particular and I look forward to reading more on the topic from actual users/owner - I'm not overly-trusting of the shillls on YouTube.

Black ace tactical is the cheapest Turkish imports the law allows. Horrible company and customer service. Most their products break quick. Look up there BBB complaints and Florida attorney general

Lol have you read the BBB bunch of people not reading the break in period or not getting their shotgun in a timely manner because of their own fault. The 2nd gen seems very good. I emailed them just to ask a few questions and I got a reply back next day. I wouldn't give the BBB or Attorny General complaints much thought bunch of BS. But to each their own...

Lol have you read the BBB bunch of people not reading the break in period or not getting their shotgun in a timely manner because of their own fault. The 2nd gen seems very good. I emailed them just to ask a few questions and I got a reply back next day. I wouldn't give the BBB or Attorny General complaints much thought bunch of BS. But to each their own...
I have owned two even with 1400+ wouldn't feed or shoot I got videos, emails and messages to prove it. Took having to CC alantic firearms in to get my money back etc. there's several social media pages with 100's who had the same experience. But you are right each to their own but to me the BBB and attorney general made sense with my experience and 100's others. I'm just saying you can't compare high quality IWI products to the cheapest Turkish imports made by hunt company and has a BAT name added to it.

I have owned two even with 1400+ wouldn't feed or shoot I got videos, emails and messages to prove it. Took having to CC alantic firearms in to get my money back etc. there's several social media pages with 100's who had the same experience. But you are right each to their own but to me the BBB and attorney general made sense with my experience and 100's others. I'm just saying you can't compare high quality IWI products to the cheapest Turkish imports made by hunt company and has a BAT name added to it.
Oh so you are the one on BBB..lol My friends has ran 100% right out of the box. I have personally shot it from 3in magnum loads and ran 150 rounds of 1145fps target loads without a hitch.

I have a BAT ProX 12GA - not the highest quality but an awful lot for the money. Two barrels, 2 extra tube extenders, 2 different stocks (one with multiple configurations). Kinda cool. While I only have a few hundred rounds through it (1200-1350 fps), it's been dependable (only 2 or 3 FTE) - this during the "break-in period". Given the cost/availability of ammo, I tend to run tact load drills with dummy rounds more than shooting actual live rounds through it. Decent guts, but some of the furniture could be improved (pistol grip stock and connection are lousy, and mag tube extension caps are cheap. Definitely has pros and cons, but worth the money IMHO. Yeah, it's not IWI, but Turkey has been making TONS of shotguns for a long time, right?