JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
American conglomerate company Bangor Punta Corp., then-owners of Smith & Wesson, purchases a controlling interest in Taurus. As sister companies, Taurus and S&W share technology, with both companies benefitting significantly from Taurus engineering and manufacturing advances.

I have a 85 38 special I carried for a couple years steel frame probably 500 round thru it with no problems.
I also have a 3in judge have shot both 410 and 45lc thru it also no problems and I also have a raging bull 44mag
and it's built real nice with a nice da/sa trigger.
I have only had to send one gun back to the factory and it was a Ruger.
-
I have read internet complaints posted of Taurus and other brand firearms . The couple Taurus I still have are great, daily carry a cherry 1984 mdl.85 with a trigger smooth as butter I will never get rid of .

I've had a taurus pt111 for about 3 years now. Not one single issue since and I have shot 2-3000 rounds easily thru that thing. Only issue I had was with a friend's reloads. A couple of them failed to feed. Other than that the mag release butting gets in the way and can cause issues if yiur not careful and observing of it. Only see this issue happen with the wife though. My first taurus was a pt945 ported and shot at minimum 10k rounds thru it with zero issues. Still regret selling that one. The guy who did my concealed training class (NRA master sharpshooter) was more impressed with that than he was with his glock as far as accuracy went. We were both rather surprised. Not saying it's a great brand as I have probably just been lucky but I have owned numerous taurus handguns without a single issue. Their Judge was interesting to say the least. It's still going strong without a single issue 8-10yrs later

James

Lol a thread on Taurus.

I've owned a handful over the years. I never experienced any issues like the internet says.

Frankly you have two types of forum goers.

Those with ACTUALLY experience.

Those that REGURGITATE information they read somewhere.

I'm honest. I know Taurus has had issues. Mostly as gun enthusiasts post that info readily online. However, they are an entry level gun. So most are in the hands of people who shoot them and are not online taking about it. I sold a ton of them when I was behind the counter because of that. So I know the amount that are out there are greater than those that post about it online.

I'd say go for it. If it fits the bill and you enjoy it for its features and value at the given price.

If it does turn out to be one you need to post up online about. Feel good knowing I've never read anything online about their warranty services being horrible. They honor their warranty.

Lol a thread on Taurus.

I've owned a handful over the years. I never experienced any issues like the internet says.

Frankly you have two types of forum goers.

Those with ACTUALLY experience.

Those that REGURGITATE information they read somewhere.

I'm honest. I know Taurus has had issues. Mostly as gun enthusiasts post that info readily online. However, they are an entry level gun. So most are in the hands of people who shoot them and are not online taking about it. I sold a ton of them when I was behind the counter because of that. So I know the amount that are out there are greater than those that post about it online.

I'd say go for it. If it fits the bill and you enjoy it for its features and value at the given price.

If it does turn out to be one you need to post up online about. Feel good knowing I've never read anything online about their warranty services being horrible. They honor their warranty.

There is enough reports of failures with them and their horrible customer service to justify some of the comments. It has nothing to do with "forum goers". :rolleyes:

Taurus makes TONS of firearms. They also try new designs every 1-4 years.. (TCP, spectrum, curve, windowed revolver)
every other company churning out new firearms at their (Taurus) rate while trying new designs run into the same problems but they somehow retain public backing. A lot of the hate stems from brand bashing because its the fun and elite thing to do on many forums (ARFcom being one of them). I give many firearms a chance and if they fail on me, THEN I know for sure. But firearm rumor and hearsay is rampant.

Ive owned and still own many Taurus firearms. Had I believed everything Iread about Taurus on the internet I would have never purchased any of their firearms.

That being said, Ive yet to have a lemon Taurus firearm. I shoot all mine with regularitytoo.. still no issues.

One thing I can certainly claim is Taurus makes two lines of firearms very well:
1911's and their revolvers. While a $250 revolver is not the same as a $1000 revolver.. for its practical, intended use.. it does just fine. YMMV

There is enough reports of failures with them and their horrible customer service to justify some of the comments. It has nothing to do with "forum goers". :rolleyes:
Ok "forum goer"

Lol.

Like "Ok Boomer"

But for moderators!

;)

Out of the box my Taurus pistols worked and shot straight. I knew I was buying a Camry... not a Mercedes. So they worked well for what I needed.

My Ruger SP101 on the other hand had a trigger that was hot garbage when I bought it. I purchased new springs and shims and did the trigger job myself. The machining was so sloppy that there were metal burrs and even a shaving in the trigger group.

Never had that problem with my Taurus'

New springs, shims, and a lot of polishing and my Ruger has a trigger like smooth butter and will most likely be a gun passed on to my kids.

Firearms are just tools. The reason to purchase one over the other has a lot to do with your specific needs and the time you want to invest to be proficient.

Back in the olden days I'd put over a thousand through a S&W .38/.357 in a day, many times.
They'd have to be retimed a bit occassionally (10-40,000 rounds) but never really broke.
My Ruger just goes and goes.

Yeah, poor ol' Deef almost couldn't use his booger hook after those long days on the range....

F4FC8DFB-2184-4F8B-81E9-E505CEE03089.gif

Not really...:D

Last Edited:
I'm aware of only a few brands many gun stores swear off. Lorcin, Hipoint, and Taurus are routinely "we won't carry them..." in many gun stores. Too many problems and returns.

Other than specialized gun shops, I'm unaware of any typical gun shop that refuses to carry Ruger, SW, Glock, Sig, CZ, Walther, etc. But Taurus is a frequently rejected brand by gun shops. I've been to many shops that will not stock them.

The internet is made up of real people including gun owners. Yes, take it with a grain of salt. Just like we might be skeptical of those with claims of XYZ brand being problematic, there's also necessary skepticism of those DEFENDING KNOWN GARBAGE COMPANIES and claiming their product is entirely different than actual real world experience.

I have ACTUAL experience and probably own(ed) more Taurus guns than most members own guns. About 30% of my Taurus were problematic. I have paperwork somewhere to prove it. One was sent back twice and THE COMPANY COULDN'T FIX IT. TWO were sent back under a 1 million gun recall because their design was unsafe. I got rid of a model 85 with a horrible trigger and difficult to shoot well due to size/design. I've seen their QC on brand new guns and rejected the guns.

I will give props where due. Taurus is decent at copying a SW design or Beretta design on their tooling. I have a model 66 which seems nice, and a Tracker which shoots reliably and great. My 608 is the first revolver I owned and it's lovely, but massive and heavy. I'll never sell it due to sentiment but I haven't fired it in maybe 15 years. A few Beretta clones are good, they make a decent clone revolver. Have a few hammer fired guns that seem okay. I'm knowledgeable enough to give sound advice to avoid this brand, or be very cautious and inspect carefully.

In a market with plenty of options I see zero reason to select Taurus. Most markets are awash in guns with loads of selection. A used well maintained Ruger is very affordable and will hold value, and almost certainly be better made at roughly the same price point. Why spend money on what is statistically higher probability on a headache than something not.

And on the back end, Ruger will take care of you and Ruger customer service is A+. Taurus is a F and will leave you hanging. I've dealt with both. Personal experience.

Last Edited:
I'm aware of only a few brands many gun companies swear off. Lorcin, Hipoint, and Taurus are routinely "we won't carry them..." in many gun stores. Too many problems and returns.

The internet is made up of real people including gun owners. Yes, take it with a grain of salt. Just like we might be skeptical of those with claims of XYZ brand being problematic, there's also necessary skepticism of those DEFENDING KNOW GARBAGE COMPANIES and claiming their product is entirely different than actual real world experience.

I have ACTUAL experience and probably own(ed) more Taurus guns than most members own guns. About 30% of my Taurus were problematic. I have paperwork somewhere to prove it. One was sent back twice and THE COMPANY COULDN'T FIX IT. Got rid of a model 85 with a horrible trigger and difficult to shoot well due to size/design. I've seen their QC on brand new guns and rejected the guns.

I will give props where due. Taurus is decent at copying a SW design or Beretta design on their tooling. I have a model 66 which seems nice, and a Tracker which shoots reliably and great. But I'm knowledgeable enough to give sound advice to avoid this brand, or be very cautious and inspect carefully.

In a market with plenty of options I see zero reason to select Taurus. Most markets are awash in guns with loads of selection. A used well maintained Ruger is very affordable and will hold value, and almost certainly be better made at roughly the same price point. Why spend money on what is statistically higher probability on a headache than something not.

And on the back end, Ruger will take care of you and Ruger customer service is A+. Taurus is a F and will leave you hanging. I've dealt with both. Personal experience.

I had one. It wasn't good. A buddy of mine bought a PT-111 and it broke before he ever shot it. Took 2 1/2 months to get it back. Everytime he called he was given some BS runaround. He sold it off quickly and swore them off for good.

This isn't just people jumping on the proverbial band wagon. This is real world experience. Sure there are some that have had good luck, otherwise the company wouldn't exist. But there are MUCH better options for not much more scratch.

Looking for a 3-4" .357 mag. Taurus fits my price range, but the fact that they are so much less than S&W and Ruger prices gives me some concern regarding quality.

Any experiences out there with Taurus revolvers?

Jerry
you will get what you pay for. Taurus is a piece of crap.. I bought one and I suggest you save more pennies and get a good firearm.

I had one. It wasn't good. A buddy of mine bought a PT-111 and it broke before he ever shot it. Took 2 1/2 months to get it back. Everytime he called he was given some BS runaround. He sold it off quickly and swore them off for good.

This isn't just people jumping on the proverbial band wagon. This is real world experience. Sure there are some that have had good luck, otherwise the company wouldn't exist. But there are MUCH better options for not much more scratch.

Yup, they make a generally passable low priced product, for most people. I tend to think of them as garbage. Lots of people like them, or they wouldn't be in business. But a person just has to balance if the $200 difference versus a known better brand is worth rolling the dice on the quality, and/or dealing with lousy service if there is an issue.

For me, the $200 difference is worth buying a better brand.

Last Edited:
Yup, they make a good low priced product. Lots of people like them, or they wouldn't be in business. But a person just has to balance if the $200 difference versus a known better brand is worth rolling the dice on the quality, and/or dealing with lousy service if there is an issue.

For me, the $200 difference is worth buying a better brand.

I think when choosing a firearm, a weapon light or any other accessory that is going to potentially save one's life price point shouldn't be the number one consideration when there are options for just a little more that are known for quality and reliability.

And THAT is sound advice wrapped up in a run-on sentence. :s0140:

I bought one of their snubs back in 2005 and have carried and shot it a ton. Have had zero issues with it, has great trigger pull, and decently accurate for a revolver that size. My mother owns and carries a similar model and also has had zero issues, as far as I know.

Would I by another? No. Not based upon one, because it has been great. I've just seen too many negative comments about Taurus and my last customer service interfacing was a train-wreck. I can get a Ruger or S&W for slightly more and their end-user support, warranty, etc., doesn't suck. In fact when I replaced a Rossi they absconded with, I went with a Smith.

To each their own.

So much for a bunch of "forum goers". 4 members in a row posting about their poor personal experiences.

Yeah, that was for you @Reno

:D

Amazing Taurus is still in business, with all the sub-standard firearms they produce, must be he!! trying to turn a profit...

Many manufacturers have had quality issues, and some resulting in significant recalls. Be it the Beloved Glock, the Sig 300 series, Springfield with their XD's, S&W did a nice Shield recall, and the SW1911... How bout that Ruger American Recall?

I understand having a bad experience, but some have had good experiences. Dismissing those good experiences as internet hyperbole is BS in my book...

I bought one of their snubs back in 2005 and have carried and shot it a ton. Have had zero issues with it, has great trigger pull, and decently accurate for a revolver that size. My mother owns and carries a similar model and also has had zero issues, as far as I know.

Would I by another? No. Not based upon one, because it has been great. I've just seen too many negative comments about Taurus and my last customer service interfacing was a train-wreck. I can get a Ruger or S&W for slightly more and their end-user support, warranty, etc., doesn't suck. In fact when I replaced a Rossi they absconded with, I went with a Smith.

To each their own.

Similar views here. Taurus' recall really screwed a LOT of owners. Go read about it if you want proof, but complainers get shut down fast on TaurusArmed. Entire threads about it opened and quickly closed after several folks chime in. I nearly got screwed but I pressed and pressed Taurus and ended up with a decent outcome. In all, factoring my time and aggravation, I probably lost several thousand dollars on two $400 guns, but the satisfaction of "winning" was enough to motivate me. At any rate, had I just rolled over I'd have eaten several hundred dollars and been unhappy.

So much for a bunch of "forum goers". 4 members in a row posting about their poor personal experiences.

Yeah, that was for you @Reno

:D
For every bad review, another three are purchased and nothing is said. Probably more honestly. I'm always seeing the new G2C selling out on many websites.

It's not like I truly care what people do with their money.

I find humor in the "they suck because xyz" or "I have more negative than you do positive"

Its a gun. I like guns. I shoot a lot. I won't let a little gun not get shot because of the logo on its side or some folks on the internet said something about it.

You all know I'll defend any gun, giving them all a chance.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top