JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you are shooting a small pest like a rat, or see a grouse at ten feet, then .410 from a pistol might be ok, but for self-defense, you are better off with the .45 Colt load - the .410 will generally not give you what you need or want. For rats, mice, etc., I think the shot loads from .44 or .45 should be sufficient at close distances. This summer I intend to find out; when I mowed some of my property last year, there were mice every ten feet or so.

I think for mice a .22lr with snakeshot might do well. Are you going to use a long gun .410?

You may be right about the .45 load being a better choice out of the Judge, just don't make it a long distance thing as the screw in rifling is only at the very end and is probably not going to stabilize the bullet very well. Otherwise, I dare you to stand in my bedroom doorway and absorb a full load of 4discs and 16bbs from a 3" PDX1, then shrug it off and tell me its a mere annoyance. It'll knock yer butt down and then I put one in the melon from close range. (Just an example, not you personally)

That said, if we're talking general self defense, I agree the Judge is a poor choice with ANY loading, including buckshot, shot, PDX1, and .45LC.

I think for mice a .22lr with snakeshot might do well. Are you going to use a long gun .410?

You may be right about the .45 load being a better choice out of the Judge, just don't make it a long distance thing as the screw in rifling is only at the very end and is probably not going to stabilize the bullet very well. Otherwise, I dare you to stand in my bedroom doorway and absorb a full load of 4discs and 16bbs from a 3" PDX1, then shrug it off and tell me its a mere annoyance. It'll knock yer butt down and then I put one in the melon from close range. (Just an example, not you personally)

That said, if we're talking general self defense, I agree the Judge is a poor choice with ANY loading, including buckshot, shot, PDX1, and .45LC.

I am going to start with the .22 loads, and if that doesn't work then I will go to .44 loads. I might try the .45 ACP loads - not .45 Colt (my only .45 Colt handgun is my .460V which is way to heavy to be hauling around while mowing). I think the .22 is sufficient for mice. I have not seen any rats around here, only squirrels, lots of field mice and once I saw a stoat (which I would not shoot as it eats mice).

As for .410 for self-defense. I would not volunteer to stand in front of a BB gun, much less a .410, but I still prefer something more powerful for self defense. It does depend on the ammo though.

My daily carry is a G30s. Trust it with my life.
It is the only firearm I've owned that has gone back to the factory.
Of the Taurus that I've owned, I've had zero issues.
That said, for a while, Taurus construction was pretty sorry. It's obvious they're turning the ship around.
I prefer Glocks, but will absolutely buy a Taurus.

Back in the early '70's S&W and Forjas Taurus were owned by the same conglomerate parent company, Bangor Punta Corporation. This relationship made it easy for the two firearm companies to share information, tooling and manufacturing techniques and they produces very similar product. When Taurus was bought by the current owners the ties with S&W went away, as did much of their QC and their downward spiral began, now here we are today where S&W can't even make a proper S&W and be profitable.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top