JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Dose anyone know if you could make aTaurus Raging Hunter 44 mag 5.12 a daily concealed ?"
Are you asking because you have one, or are you thinking about getting one?
The DVC equation is a balance of the 3 components: Speed, Power, and accuracy. The .44 Mag leans heavily on the Power and accuracy, to the detriment of speed. Is there some particular reason you are looking at it for SD, like hiking in bear country, or 6'5" 280# meth heads.? .44 Mag is more likely to overpenetrate with a lot of left over energy. .357 is as effective against human or sub-human assailants as the .44 with better speed for follow-up shots. I don't feel inadequately armed with a .357.
Looking to purchase

.44 Mag is overpowered for usual SD/HD unless you live in Bear Country. If you are going to shoot .44 Spl this is not the case.
DVC is a balance of the 3 factors. .44 Mag skews in favor of the Power factor and loses speed of follow up shots.
.44 Mag is more likely to over-penetrate, with concomitant possibilities for collateral harm.
With modern defensive ammo there is no discernible difference in Real World effectiveness between the most popular fighting rounds for pistol. They all come in around mid-90's in %age of 1 shot stops. See Marshall & Sanow, Elefritz, etc.
.357 is my favorite caliber for handguns. :D

.44 Mag is overpowered for usual SD/HD unless you live in Bear Country. If you are going to shoot .44 Spl this is not the case.
DVC is a balance of the 3 factors. .44 Mag skews in favor of the Power factor and loses speed of follow up shots.
.44 Mag is more likely to over-penetrate, with concomitant possibilities for collateral harm.
With modern defensive ammo there is no discernible difference in Real World effectiveness between the most popular fighting rounds for pistol. They all come in around mid-90's in %age of 1 shot stops. See Marshall & Sanow, Elefritz, etc.
.357 is my favorite caliber for handguns. :D
Thanks for the information.

My pleasure. Enjoy your new revolver. :D:D

Afterthought: on the quest for a new EDC (2004) I went looking for a Steyr S40, found none at that gun show and "settled" for the S9 I still carry today.
I think you would find .357 more satisfactory for the same reasons I found the 9mm to be preferable to the .40.

You should order a pachmayr grip for it, way nicer than stock red grip.

20180612_090406.jpg

Well after talking with you guys I maybe purchase a Taurus Raging Hunter 357mag all black for $599.99 Anyone know of a better price out there ?
If you use higher power .44sp you are running at about 500 ft lbs, about the same power and recoil as most full-power .357 mag loads, except with a fatter bullet. Far better if self defense includes black bear.

The compilations that claim all the major handgun calibers are equally effective in SD against people dont include enough SD shootings using .44 mag or .44 special to be meaningful. And as I recall, they just tallied whether the bullet stopped the bad guy sooner or later, not incapacitated instantly. Most shots with handgun calibers dont incapacitate fast enough to prevent return fire if bad guy has gun. Also no account taken of shot placement. So no, there are not good data saying that .357 is as good as .44 with equally well placed shots.

A serious issue is that 357 mag is about twice as loud as 9mm, 38sp, .44sp, or .45 acp. Loud enough to blow out your eardrums if shot indoors or in your car. I learned that from a Yankee Marshal video where a hang fire .357 round went off after he had removed hearing protection. He was in a partially enclosed booth in a gun range. The noise blew out one ear-drum, leaving him deafened, in pain, and bleeding from one ear. I think he mostly recovered, slowly with time. Might be much worse in a hall indoors or car. And those are situations where you might have to use your edc. With no time to put on hearing protection, even if it is handy. For this reason, Ive dropped back from full .357 mag loads to .38sp in my edc. And plan to replace it with a smaller .44 mag loaded with 44sp. Such as a sw 629 Mt Gun. When $$ permits.

One huge advantage of .357/.37 over .44, though, if you dont reload, is price of practice ammo.

If you're thinking about a $600 Taurus .357, also consider a used SW 357. I think theres one in NWFA classified right now for $650. A used pre-lock sw model 686 or model 66 would likely be a much better gun than the Taurus.

1) "A used pre-lock sw model 686 or model 66 would likely be a much better gun than the Taurus."
I concur.
2) No handgun is a guaranteed right now fight stopper with anything other than a CNS hit.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top