JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Picked up an unfired Taurus PT138 a while back from a form member, it was around a year old but never fired.
Took it to the range to pop the cherry:D well i put several mags through it and had about 20 persent of the rounds that would have a light primer strike and not fire, jack another shell in and away we go again until the next one. Put about 60 through it and had around 20 that didn't go off.

Took it home and stripped it including removing the firing pin and cleaned it really good, oiled liberally and took it back to the range put a couple of mags through it with no poblems but then about the third mag it started all over again:(

Called Taurus about having them fix it and all that did was piss me off but that's another story.

Anybody else out there had this problem? i'm thinking it has a week recoil spring that's causing the barrel to not seat all the way.

Thanks,

Steve,

I wouldnt think the recoil spring would be worn out if this was unfired when bought. Were you holding it tightly and not limp wristing it? Maybe take it apart and look for signs of something rubbing in the slide/recoil spring area. Also check to see if the issue could be traced down to one mag if you have more than one.

I've tried differant mags, didn't change it. Not sure about the limp rist thing but two of us were shooting it and it did it to both of us.

The reason i think it's the recoil spring is if you barely touch the slide the barrel will drop and it seems to be really easy to move for the first 1/2 inch, i still need to mess with it a little more but in the mean time i ordered a recoil spring, it was cheaper than what it would cost me to send it next day air back to Taurus to have it fixed.

I do thank you for the great input.

I am not a gunsmith!
I will tell you I had the same problem with a AMT 380 backup.
First I ordered a new hammer and firingpin spring from AMT, installed them, no change in the problem, then I cut one ring off the firingpin spring at a time until the pistol worked 100%.

I am not saying this is what to do, but it was what I did to fix my problem.

:huh:

I am not a gunsmith!
I will tell you I had the same problem with a AMT 380 backup.
First I ordered a new hammer and firingpin spring from AMT, installed them, no change in the problem, then I cut one ring off the firingpin spring at a time until the pistol worked 100%.

I am not saying this is what to do, but it was what I did to fix my problem.

:huh:

Thanks for the info, the firing pin spring is the next thing on my list but the way this one is set up you would need to add to the spring:s0114:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top