JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure if the gun has a problem but the slide release is a pain to depress. I have to pull the slide back to releve the tension just to press the release.
Is this normal or does my gun have a problem. Oh... I may just be weak too. :) The pistol was given to me and none of my others are difficult to release their slides. Hope someone can help here.

I have one and I converted it to 45 Super. I can't say that I have noticed this however. The slide release may be a little harder to operate then my other 1911 but it is obviously sprung a lot heavier then that one. Sorry not much help here and I guess all I'm saying is no I don't have this problem. I'd try cleaning and lubricating it thoroughly to see if it gets any better. If it doesn't you could probably take it to a smith and he/she might be able to rework it to operate smoother or just live with it.

I just realized I miss read the title of this thread. I thought you were talking about a PT1911 some how and that is what I was referring to. You can not convert a PT111 into 45 Super obviously. I do not own a PT111 but I do own a cousin the PT145 if that helps any. I do not find the slide release to be to difficult to operate on it either.

Thanks for letting me know. I have large frame handguns and the release is always smooth. I field stripped and oiled the gun and it's still a bear to drop the slide. I think I will need to have it inspected.
Thanks again!

It is a bad habit to use the slide release in everyday shooting, it will create premature wear. It is much better for the slide to pull the slide back and let it fall into battery. Leave the slide release to the movies, like the one handed pump of a shotgun.

Never knew that. I always thought that was what it was for. Thanks for the tip! I don't copy any actions from movies. As for the slide action shotguns. I agree 100%. The one armed pump should be left to amputee adult film stars! Anything else would look stupid. LOL :s0114:

I wouldn't say it's a bad habit, as a lot of people use the slide release. A lot of competitors use it as well.

Just depends on the gun style. Glocks and Sigs have the slide release recessed into the slide/frame pretty well, so grabbing the slide is more suited to those styles.

For 1911's and the like... that shelf/ledge is there for a reason.

If you're right handed, try using your support hand thumb to drop the slide release. During a reload/malfunction, when your support hand comes up into the proper grip, the thumb is in a perfect position to drop the slide.

It can be a bit faster as well, as your grip is now together and ready to go...vs the sling shot method where the support hand still needs to take its proper place after dropping the slide.

Been doing it for 20+ years, have yet to wear out a slide or slide stop yet.

Look for the Taurus hotline. I have called before, Left a question and contact # and they returned my call, and were very helpful.. Have even sent them one pistol back and they repaired it free of charge about 2 weeks turn around time. Were nice to deal with.
I was not a PT111, but a revolver, but the are there to help..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top