JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone have any experience with the new to 2018 Taurus Officer model 1911? I have found no reviews or YouTube videos for it. I was thinking if it is reliable, it would make a great little EDC. I know Taurus has a lifetime warranty to original owner so was thinking of giving it a shot. Appreciate any thoughts. TW

I'm not a huge 1911 fan boy. I do have one and like it though.

This review looks positive. Other than a heavy trigger. If you like to get into the guts of your gun you could probably do some work to make it better.
Gun Review - Taurus 1911 Commander

Price is crazy good. The way I look at it. And I can afford to look at it like ths, maybe you can't, is, if I'm going to buy a budget 1911 I'd go with the tried and true models. I'd probably look at RIA first. I've only heard good things about them. And, they've been out there for a long time and got better during that time.

I read a lot great reviews on the RIA models also. I've had large number of Taurus's revolvers and never had any issues with them. I know their semi-autos haven't faired so well in the reliability category but, this one was in the price range and I like their life time warranty. Also, Taurus's full size 1911's have some really good reviews. I am waiting on to arrive at my LGS and will do a shooting review once I get it to the range. Hoping I got good one as I want to carry it.

Does anyone have any experience with the new to 2018 Taurus Officer model 1911? I have found no reviews or YouTube videos for it. I was thinking if it is reliable, it would make a great little EDC. I know Taurus has a lifetime warranty to original owner so was thinking of giving it a shot. Appreciate any thoughts. TW

Not a fan of:
1. Taurus, never have been. I've seen too many that need that lifetime warranty, I'd rather have a gun without a warranty that I'll never need than one I'll need on a regular basis.
2. Cheap 1911s with substandard MIM parts. The 1911 was designed in a different time with different manufacturing methods and doesn't really lend it self well to today's method of "how cheap can I do it".
3. Short barreled 1911s in general. The further away the 5" standard GI barrel the 1911 gets the finickier it becomes especially if #1 & #2 are involved.

A 1911 is like a Harley, if you expect to depend on it you'd better understand it and be prepared to wrench on it.

A 1911 is like a Harley, if you expect to depend on it you'd better understand it and be prepared to wrench on it.

That's why I was a Honda guy. But then I was wrenching in shops on them for eight years shortly out of high school! :D Also a long time owner/operator of Honda motor cycles.

Well, got to the range but, didn't get to shoot as much as I wanted due to some gottado's that came up. Up first was the Taurus Officer model 1911. I put 75rds of Sellier/Bellot 230gr FMJ and 25rds of Winchester white box 230gr FMJ through it without a single hiccup! She ran great and stayed pretty tight. I like the trigger pull on this one as I plan to carry it. Don't want to light of a trigger in a tense situation. 100rnds total for the Taurus.

First 6rnds at 18ft:

UV03UMB.png

Adjusted my rear sight and grip, next 6rnds:

GxtFUBr.png

Remaining rounds I shot at 33ft for function and placement. All in all a fine little shooter!

First 6rnds of Winchester white box at 18ft, I dropped the first round as you can tell:

pCtnRhx.png

I dont hate on name brands. I buy things and shoot them. If they work, they work. That being said Ive never had a Taurus lemon.. ever. Chunky, lower end firearms.. yes.. but total lemons.. nope.

Their standard sized 1911's carry more quality than any other 1911 in their same price range. 1911's are something taurus makes really well.

Anyone bashing a Taurus 1911 hasnt shot one extensively due to a brand name bias. Thats a fact.

Of course its not a comp gun or a $2k tight tolerance 1911.. but it IS a quality 1911 for the money. Compared to RIA or various others.. its a much better 1911.

I liked the feel of this one better than the RIA officer model I held. I'll put a couple hundred more rounds down range before carrying it to make sure but, really don't expect any issues after the 100rnds from yesterday. :)

Looks nice. I might be interested in having a look. Do they offer a 9mm chambering? The Commander was originally 9mm..
At the moment I don't believe they do. This is new for 2018 and didn't have any reviews anywhere. I took a gamble on it and so far am happy with it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top