JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I looked at one today. It looks like a bucket of fun. 45LC and .410 shotgun shells. Anyone have any experience with these wheels?

Its a front runner for my next gun. Ive never seen a used one for sale. That generally tells me something.

Wish there was a range that rented, or try before you buy place.

Best revolver I've ever owned, check out their website for the new taurus 3" magnum shell judge, it blows away watermelons. The best part is you can rotate using .410 and .45LC, use a 000 Buckshot for the guy entering your house, and the .45LC for when his friends try to run away. = ). Did you see it at Liberty Safes??

I bought my Taurus Judge 2 years ago and no regrets. It's the 6.5" barrel. I use it as my back up home defense pistol & as my snake charmer saddle pistol . If I could find a used one, I'd definitely buy another. As long it's the 6.5" barrel

I'd suggest getting the new "magnum" judges that have a 3" chamber if you are planning on running buckshot, since 3" buckshot is a whole lot easier to find than 2 1/2", plus you get a considerably better payload.

I took mine out last weekend after I stopped by the groc. store and picked up a water melon & cantalope.I blow both of them apart in one shot each.There was piece's/chunks flying every direction and about 8+ feet in the air.It was great.

I love mine! I have the Public Defender which shoots the 2 1/2 inch shells. It is a monster to shoot though. I have to send it back to manufacturer to get a issue fixed but it is a common problem with a simple fix so Im not to worried about it (Go lifetime warranty!)

I suppose they might be useful if you find yourself atacked by a watermelon, but as a self-defense handgun I feel they are pretty much a gimmick, a solution in search of a problem.

The problem with them is that they are excessively long and bulky in order to accomodate the length of a .410 shotshell that is a very poor choice for self defense.

If you want some real info on the ballistic deficiencies of the .410 shotshell, go to www.theboxotruth.com #41 "Testing the Taurus Judge" and see how poorly the round penetrates in ballistic gel. It is inferior in every way to conventional service-caliber handgun rounds.

Even the .410 slug is at best a marginal performer...a 90 grain slug at around 1500 FPS doesnt even equal a standard-velocity 9mm FMJ ballistically. You are far better using the proven .45 Colt load for self defense. I see no benefit in a weapon that can fire both rounds, especially when the tradeoff is excessive weight and length. A conventional revolver in .38+p, .357, .44 spec/mag or .45 Colt...using quality JHP ammo.... will serve far better, and shotshells are still available in those calibers for use against pesky snakes or bugs.

I suppose they might be useful if you find yourself atacked by a watermelon, but as a self-defense handgun I feel they are pretty much a gimmick, a solution in search of a problem.

The problem with them is that they are excessively long and bulky in order to accomodate the length of a .410 shotshell that is a very poor choice for self defense.

If you want some real info on the ballistic deficiencies of the .410 shotshell, go to www.theboxotruth.com #41 "Testing the Taurus Judge" and see how poorly the round penetrates in ballistic gel. It is inferior in every way to conventional service-caliber handgun rounds.

Even the .410 slug is at best a marginal performer...a 90 grain slug at around 1500 FPS doesnt even equal a standard-velocity 9mm FMJ ballistically. You are far better using the proven .45 Colt load for self defense. I see no benefit in a weapon that can fire both rounds, especially when the tradeoff is excessive weight and length. A conventional revolver in .38+p, .357, .44 spec/mag or .45 Colt...using quality JHP ammo.... will serve far better, and shotshells are still available in those calibers for use against pesky snakes or bugs.

+1

I hate to tell you, but shotguns weren't designed to penetrate, which is why all but higher velocity 12ga 00 usually fail at penetration tests.

Although I love reading the box-o-truth, it is evident that he does not know a lot about shotshell loading, since for the judge test here merely cut down a 3" shell. Shotshell loads are designed to operate a certain way, within certain pressures, and with certain loads. This means most likely he did not have the optimal velocities when he removed two pellets from a 3" load, not really replicating a 2.5" 000 load. Although he said "this shouldn't make a difference", it really will. If you chop the front half off a bullet in a normal loading, of course it will have less energy than a load made for a lighter bullet. :s0155:

These are extremely flexible guns, that were designed to fill several different roles. And any such design that was meant to fill several different roles cannot be the best in any one area.

I have a Judge Magnum in my collection, and it serves it own purpose, and I like it a lot. It wouldn't be my first choice for a primary SD gun, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it as one.

To each man his own.

Taurus Judge

Model - 4510TKR-3SSMAG
Caliber - .45 Colt and .410/3" shotshell
Capacity - 5
Frame size - Medium
Barrel length - 3"
Finish - Matte stainless steel
Weight - 36.8 ounces
Length - 9.5"
2008 MSRP - $608

Ruger GP-100

Caliber:.357 Magnum
Capacity: 6 Rounds
Finish: Satin Stainless
Grip: Rubber w/ Rosewood Insert
Barrel Length: 4" Groove:5
Twist: 1:18 3/4" RH
Overall Length: 9 5/8"
Weight: 36 oz.
Cost--$500-$600

Apples to apples...same size, same weight, same cost.

By any objective standard, a .357 Magnum 158 gr JHP round coming out of a 4" barrel at 1250 fps is many orders of magnitude better than any .410 shotgun round...be it slug, buck or birdshot... for personal defense.

Its probably only slightly better than a .45 Colt round coming out of a 3" Judge barrel....but the Judge limits you 5 rds vs the 6 rounds in the GP-100.

I am unaware of any 5-shot .45/.410 speed-loaders, whereas speed loaders or speed strips for the GP-100 or any comparable revolver are readily available, and reasonably easy to carry. It would be a real pain to have to fit .410 reloads in your front pocket.

Quality .357 and .38 spl ammo...for both self-defense and plinking/target practice... is easy to obtain and reasonably affordable. I've not seen much .45 Colt on store shelves, and there isnt any .410 round I would want to rely on for protection. Both the .45 and the .410 are more expensive to shoot.

I can think of no realistic self-defense scenario where the ability to fire .410 shells would be of any benefit. It might be of use as a "survival gun" that could take birds or small game at very close ranges, but for the weight and bulk involved I think a good .22 would fulfill that role just as well.

Taurus Judge

Model - 4510TKR-3SSMAG
Caliber - .45 Colt and .410/3" shotshell
Capacity - 5
Frame size - Medium
Barrel length - 3"
Finish - Matte stainless steel
Weight - 36.8 ounces
Length - 9.5"
2008 MSRP - $608

Ruger GP-100

Caliber:.357 Magnum
Capacity: 6 Rounds
Finish: Satin Stainless
Grip: Rubber w/ Rosewood Insert
Barrel Length: 4" Groove:5
Twist: 1:18 3/4" RH
Overall Length: 9 5/8"
Weight: 36 oz.
Cost--$500-$600

Apples to apples...same size, same weight, same cost.

By any objective standard, a .357 Magnum 158 gr JHP round coming out of a 4" barrel at 1250 fps is many orders of magnitude better than any .410 shotgun round...be it slug, buck or birdshot... for personal defense.

Its probably only slightly better than a .45 Colt round coming out of a 3" Judge barrel....but the Judge limits you 5 rds vs the 6 rounds in the GP-100.

I am unaware of any 5-shot .45/.410 speed-loaders, whereas speed loaders or speed strips for the GP-100 or any comparable revolver are readily available, and reasonably easy to carry. It would be a real pain to have to fit .410 reloads in your front pocket.

Quality .357 and .38 spl ammo...for both self-defense and plinking/target practice... is easy to obtain and reasonably affordable. I've not seen much .45 Colt on store shelves, and there isnt any .410 round I would want to rely on for protection. Both the .45 and the .410 are more expensive to shoot.

I can think of no realistic self-defense scenario where the ability to fire .410 shells would be of any benefit. It might be of use as a "survival gun" that could take birds or small game at very close ranges, but for the weight and bulk involved I think a good .22 would fulfill that role just as well.

You cannot compare a normal revolver to a .45/.410 revolver as apples to apples, its more like apples to oranges that way :p

In that configuration the barrel on the judge is technically longer, since "barrel lengths" on revolvers are measured to the cylinder face, and do not include the cylinder, yet there is acceleration going on within the cylinder, especially one as long as the judges.

Also one of the greatest uses of the Judge has been with outdoorsmen, you can have birdshot for dealing with snakes, and buckshot/slugs/.45 colt for dealing with larger critters. Yes you can do this with normal shot shells in .45colt/.357/ect, but this just gives another option, and I like any gun I can use for multiple roles.

Also the judge is not simply answering a question that was never asked, there have been many other .45/.410 revolvers made in the past (mostly SA), and a few derringers, all of which have their special niche, Taurus just managed to find a niche with selling a DA one.

No disrespect intended, but I don't care for Taurus anything. I had just one experience with customer service/warranty, and that did it for me. I also can't understand why anyone would prefer this gun over a .357 mag in a better brand.

But, what would I know? :)

not trying to be a jerk but it seems no one has heard about the triple ought buck shot round designed especialy for the taurus judge. to all who nay say take some time and look up the data on this round it just may change your way of thinking.

I also have never been a Taurus fan and man that thing is ugly! I guess they found the answer to a question that no one asked. That thing is so big & heavy that you could easily carry a new lightweight .357 or .44 mag easier. Now that would really spash a melon!

i dont have a link but the ammo is made by federal each round has 4 beads of tripple ought buck shot and is good for about 20 yards with a 3 inch pattern

I would have to see that in person in order to believe it.

You cant get a 3" buckshot pattern out of a shotgun with a 26" barrel at 20 yards, there is no way in **** you can get a 3" group out of a handgun with a 3" barrel....and the pellets that do hit the target arent going to penetrate worth a darn.

The .410 round is great for use on small game. Its no good for personal defense.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top