JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've had a few Taurus handguns, and still have a 709 for light carry. Mostly I''ve been happy with their products.

I'm curious about the 24/7 Gen2. I'd like to hear from any members who have direct experience with them. They seem to be selling well, but don't show up in the classifieds. I infer that means people who have them tend to keep them. If so, that's a pretty good endorsement.

I would rather not have this thread devolve into a comparison with other manufacturers or explanations of why X is better than Taurus, etc. I'm just curious about people's first hand impression of this model, in a variety of calibers.

Thanks.

When I worked in a gun shop, I shot the 24/7 rentals a few times, and I sold a few of them. They seemed like a pretty good gun for the money. The grip was comfortable, sights were good, trigger was smooth, recoil was modest (it was a 4" .45... most .45s are actually pretty soft shooting to me) and it was reasonably accurate.
The rental guns had thousands of rounds through them, and were no more or less reliable than anything else... in fact, and probably because they were rented so often, we had more issues with Kimbers and Sig Sauers than anything. Too bad no one kept really good records on round count for the rental guns, it would have been an interesting read I'm sure.

I think the reason you don't see to many used ones for sale is that they don't sell all that well... and I'll tell you why.
In gun shops, the sales people are just like the rest of us. They have bias, opinion and favorites. Very few have high regard for Taurus. Partly because Taurus makes and comes out with a lot of models, and no one wants to take the time to get really familiar with them and partly because of unsubstantiated bias.
Salespersons, if the customer is vague and undecided, will push what they like or might score a bonus on. If the customer has a price limit, then a Taurus might come into play... assuming the shop even has one. In the shop I worked in, we had close to two thousand new handguns in inventory... of those, maybe 40 were Taurus, and most of those were revolvers.
Not saying all shops are like this... but none of the shops I'm familiar with are really big Taurus stockers or sellers.

If you like it, and you shoot it well, and it suits your needs... you know the rest. ;)

C

I've owned a few Taurus's and today, I still have 2 Taurus revolvers - a Judge Public Defender and a Taurus Tracker .22LR for cheap shooting at the range. To keep on subject, i've previously owned a Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm and most recently a 24/7 Pro in .45auto. Both pistols are pretty much the same as far as look and feel (duotone). The main reason I purchased the 24/7 pro in 9mm was because it was on sale for $299 a year or so ago at Sportsmans Warehouse. I bought it as a cheap 9mm to shoot. After finally getting the chance to shoot it, I realized that the late trigger pull just wasn't for me. My main pistol is a Glock 21SF and I also love to shoot my XDM9 and M&P 9. If you're used to a Glock, XD/XDM, or M&P, then you'll find the trigger pull on a Taurus 24/7 pretty long unless you get a trigger job. The feel of the 24/7's are very nice though, especially if you have bigger hands like me. The factory 3-dot sites that came on each 24/7 i've owned were fairly accurate and i've never had any problems shooting each of them. For the price, its an excellent value especially with Taurus' warranty and excellent customer service.

Went for the PT 809 model instead because I liked the exposed hammer and it just fit my hand a bit better. Solid performer although it will eject a shell straight back towards your face occasionally. Paid $323 out the door at Wholesale Sports Van Wa. Hard to beat that kind of value

My first semi-auto was a 24/7 first gen in 9 mm. I never had any problems, and actually liked the gun quite well. I sold it to buy something new and different. No regrets, but it left me with a good impression of Taurus. I didn't like the Millenium Pro in .40 that I had, but I like my 709. The 24/7 Gen 2 interests me, so I might eventually get one. I'd like to hear others' experiences with them, though.
Thanks for the responses to date.

I have owned my 24/7 Pro in 9mm for 5 or 6 years now. easily over 500 rounds thru the gun without one issue. I bought the Taurus for two reasons: First, it was in my price range at the time and Second, it fit my grip.

The gun is a sweet shooter in 9mm.

I've shot my buddy's taurus 24/7 40S&W I was'nt impressed accuracy was horrible and so was the trigger as well as the finish. It did fit my hand well and never malfunctioned but with only 200-300 rounds through it that is'nt saying much. I think most people that love taurus either have'nt owned/shot anything better or it's just the only thing in their price range and there's nothing wrong with that. I shot another friends hi-point 9mm and I was more impressed with that if you don't mind the limited mag capacity.

I've shot my buddy's taurus 24/7 40S&W I was'nt impressed accuracy was horrible and so was the trigger as well as the finish. It did fit my hand well and never malfunctioned but with only 200-300 rounds through it that is'nt saying much. I think most people that love taurus either have'nt owned/shot anything better or it's just the only thing in their price range and there's nothing wrong with that. I shot another friends hi-point 9mm and I was more impressed with that if you don't mind the limited mag capacity.
I agree about the Hi-point statement. I've shot a few Hi-Point C9's at the range and I prefer their trigger much more than the trigger on the 24/7 Pros. However, that's the only thing about the Hi-Point I prefer (along with price).

I currently own one. the 17+1 capacity is nice, and it is actually very accurate. I believe the gen 1's had the rubber-ish grip, while the gen 2 do not. I like the indicators, and DA and de-cocker. Also fits very good in my hand. The trigger isn't that great, but that is the only issue (plus is says taurus on it) that I have. Other than that it has functioned flawlessly.

Everyone who has shot it has been pleasantly surprised. In fact the only way to get it away from my wife was to get here something better LOL.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top