JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What's drawing you to it for months if you hate Taurus? If it was in good condition with tight lockwork and a smooth trigger/cylinder latch at a low price, I wouldn't hesitate. But if it's been on the shelf for months, how good a deal could it be?

I've had a Taurus 85 for over a decade, until my wife "stole" it from me for her carry gun. Very reliable, and when stoked with modern self defense ammo, a serious self defense tool. Many folks who have never owned a Taurus, love to bash them because they see or hear other people bash them and want to appear to be "informed." The other Taurus I own is the 617, .357 mag, also rock solid and reliable.

As with any used firearm, or anything else for that matter, closely inspect it before buying. If you happen to know a gunsmith or armorer, take him or her with you to check it out.

I picked mine up around 2004 from one of the internet auction sites; a dealer in FL had one he listed as used, but was only pre-owned. I paid $180 for it. I carried it for running and hiking for a while, but now it's been replaced by Springfield XDs in .45 ACP.

All in all I have a very high opinion of the gun with a bold-print but it isn't a gun for extended shooting. I took it along while I was breaking in my XDs (someone had given me a few boxes of .38 reloads) and the Taurus started to choke after round 70. The cylinder began to bind as the gap filled with crud (reloads maybe?) and after that I had to thumb the hammer back to get the cylinder to rotate. I would, and do, trust it for self defense, but it doesn't like getting too dirty.

ive had a model 85 for a while but stopped using it as my CCW. the thumb button for unlocking the cylnder stuck in the forward position. Taurus warranty dept. is great, but still, I bought a revolver figuring that it'd be a non issue. now it S&W all the way.

Anybody have any thoughts about a Taurus model 85 snub 38?
I had a Taurus 85 SS 2" I fired over 500 rnds through it with out a misfire.
Now my wife has it :( I gave her the choice between the 85 and a S&W 36 ND 1 7/8" barrel, she shot both and chose the Taurus.